Class of 2015 - G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky

Not sure why we refuse to go after Murray? Now we're after the Gilbert kid from GA? Just don't get it.
There must be something JB doesn't like about Murray's game or his fit for the zone. They just haven't shown much interest in him for a long time. Probably way too late now even if he stays in 2016 with UK and Izzo all over him.

There must be something JB doesn't like about Murray's game or his fit for the zone. They just haven't shown much interest in him for a long time. Probably way too late now even if he stays in 2016 with UK and Izzo all over him.

It's almost like we don't want to go toe to toe with them.

Murray seems like an instant-impact player for any high major program, so I've also wondered why we haven't shown the interest given that we started tossing out offers to all of these other '16 guards. I wonder if anyone knows if Murray might possibly be a problem child? And speaking of proper fit for the zone, I have to then wonder why we offered Gilbert, who might be the shortest guard we've recruited since Flynn. As much as I love Gilbert's style of play, he doesn't seem anything like the typical guard we've been going after the last several years.

Murray seems like an instant-impact player for any high major program, so I've also wondered why we haven't shown the interest given that we started tossing out offers to all of these other '16 guards. I wonder if anyone knows if Murray might possibly be a problem child? And speaking of proper fit for the zone, I have to then wonder why we offered Gilbert, who might be the shortest guard we've recruited since Flynn. As much as I love Gilbert's style of play, he doesn't seem anything like the typical guard we've been going after the last several years.
Definitely not. Great kid that is mature beyond his years. I know his dad is handling the recruitment and maybe he and JB might not have clicked. That's just throwing a theory out there though.

Definitely not. Great kid that is mature beyond his years. I know his dad is handling the recruitment and maybe he and JB might not have clicked. That's just throwing a theory out there though.

Great to heat that he's got a good head on his shoulders! I guess that probably should have been somewhat obvious given his reluctance to get involved with Twitter until recently, and even then, it may have only been to put a stop to that fake account. Man, I would still love to see Murray in orange, regardless of how unlikely it is.

Do you have a theory on Battle? More specifically on how Beilein stated that he intends to use Battle like LeVert, a pure SG, vis-a-vis the idea that Battle wanted to be a PG?

Do you have a theory on Battle? More specifically on how Beilein stated that he intends to use Battle like LeVert, a pure SG, vis-a-vis the idea that Battle wanted to be a PG?
Personally I think the PG thing meant little to Battle in the whole scheme of things. I think the Michigan visit just went better than expected for the kid and maybe he wasn't as high on SU as we had thought.

From a free article on Skowt:

Jamal Murray is a name that has perplexed Syracuse fans. Murray is as talented as any point guard in the 2016 class. He is a top 30 player and has excelled during recent AAU events. He has an inate ability to create offensively both for himself and others. Murray can get his own shot almost at will.

At 6-foot-4, he would be a nice fit at Syracuse with his length as a point guard. He plays for the same AAU team as Tyler Ennis (CIA Bounce), so there is a strong Syracuse connection there. That said, the rumblings around him are that he is giving strong consideration to reclassifying to 2015.

Syracuse has reached out to Murray’s camp to see where things stand, according to a source. If he sticks in 2016, an offer from the Orange is probable.

Jamal Murray is a name that has perplexed Syracuse fans. Murray is as talented as any point guard in the 2016 class. He is a top 30 player and has excelled during recent AAU events. He has an inate ability to create offensively both for himself and others. Murray can get his own shot almost at will.

At 6-foot-4, he would be a nice fit at Syracuse with his length as a point guard. He plays for the same AAU team as Tyler Ennis (CIA Bounce), so there is a strong Syracuse connection there. That said, the rumblings around him are that he is giving strong consideration to reclassifying to 2015.

Syracuse has reached out to Murray’s camp to see where things stand, according to a source. If he sticks in 2016, an offer from the Orange is probable.

Did they get that article from my post? LOL

The reclassifying thing could turn out to be our saving grace here. Basically its been well known that Murray was strongly considering reclassifying to 2015 and we have been full up in that class for quite some time. I would hope we at least told the Murray camp we are offering for 2016 if you stay in that class but it seems that SU initially rated Battle much higher and then assumed Murray would reclassify to 2015. I'd love to get involved with Murray though as he looks like a great college PG to me. The best thing about him is that when there isn't anything he can always get a pretty good shot for himself which is an extremely important skill in college for your lead guard as offenses are often disjointed these days.

Beilein is a class act. Met him when my son was just entering Richmond. Talked with him in his basketball office where he gave my two sons Richmond t-shirts and offered my son a position as a student manager. My son ended up going the frat route so it never worked out. As a thank you, I brought him down some Zweigle Hots on ice on, on one of our subsequent visits. Beilein had coached at Nazareth College and had mentioned he loved Zweigles which are a Rochester favorite…If SU is going to lose a recruit, glad it was to Beilein….

Forgive me if it's been already discussed here, but I don't understand why we can't take Murray in 2015. If we were going to take Bryant, why couldn't we take Murray? Does it have to do with the sanctions and timing of our scholarship offer to Murray?

Forgive me if it's been already discussed here, but I don't understand why we can't take Murray in 2015. If we were going to take Bryant, why couldn't we take Murray? Does it have to do with the sanctions and timing of our scholarship offer to Murray?
I assume it's your last sentence. We had already offered Bryant before the sanctions were announced. We still haven't offered Murray. I can't imagine they'd let us offer anyone new at this point for '15, since it looks pretty clear we'll start our penalty this season.

I don't think anyone has come out and said we can't take him in 15. It's all speculation. Can we put Julie on the recruiting trail instead of Jimmy?

From the latest PS article linked on BBall Forum, explains why SU wasn't on Murray right away -

Syracuse has remained in contact with Murray, but the Orange had been slow-playing its recruitment while waiting for Murray to either stay in the 2016 class or reclassifying to 2015. Now, Syracuse could increase its pursuit of the Canadian guard.

We probably can take Murray but if we have more than 10 signed it pushes the start of the ship reduction off a season. This way no matter what we are taking 3 off the top of the 12 before the appeal comes back. Its highly unlikely the appeal would be done in time to add a player if we got relief. Even so its still likely best at this point to be serving a 3 scholarship penalty then whatever relief we get will really come off of the 9 left we need to serve and could make the next 3 recruiting classes much easier to manage.

We probably can take Murray but if we have more than 10 signed it pushes the start of the ship reduction off a season. This way no matter what we are taking 3 off the top of the 12 before the appeal comes back. Its highly unlikely the appeal would be done in time to add a player if we got relief. Even so its still likely best at this point to be serving a 3 scholarship penalty then whatever relief we get will really come off of the 9 left we need to serve and could make the next 3 recruiting classes much easier to manage.

If getting Murray means we defer the penalty then F-it. Let's defer. With the appeals-in-process, it's not as black-and-white as some are implying. We can survive the penalties if the brand remains attractive. An elite talent like Murray does a lot for image and perception.

If getting Murray means we defer the penalty then F-it. Let's defer. With the appeals-in-process, it's not as black-and-white as some are implying. We can survive the penalties if the brand remains attractive. An elite talent like Murray does a lot for image and perception.

For Murray I would be OK with that because our 2 biggest questions for next season are PG and depth/health at center. Murray would answer one of those questions and I suppose its possible the NCAA could rule on the appeal before the season started giving us enough relief that the 2 not being used counted against the total but even if they didn't I'd think Murray is worth it as I did Bryant because he also answered one of those questions.

Deano said:
From the latest PS article linked on BBall Forum, explains why SU wasn't on Murray right away - Syracuse has remained in contact with Murray, but the Orange had been slow-playing its recruitment while waiting for Murray to either stay in the 2016 class or reclassifying to 2015. Now, Syracuse could increase its pursuit of the Canadian guard.
it's funny to me that people think we just ignored him.

I actually don't see any reason to take Murray for 2015. He's most likely a one and done, and this year Gbinije can help out at PG if KJ struggles. Would rather start sanctions early if he ends up in 2015; especially seeing how they have hurt us so far, it would be better to get them over with sooner.

It's funny to me that the recruiting board has quickly turned into the Boeheim Can't Recruit, Hasn't Been Able To Since 2007 And Needs To Retire Now board.

was your post on the bball board from yesterday sarcasm or just heat of moment?

was your post on the bball board from yesterday sarcasm or just heat of moment?
My post yesterday was pretty much 100% about the ncaa sanctions and where they've put us - a place that is not good as evidenced by our 2 recent recruiting misses.