Class of 2016 - G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse

Just looked this guy up, he shot 39% from 3 each of his first 2 seasons. Seems to have a knack for drawing a lot of fouls, and he's an 84% shooter career.

He is short though, which could be an issue in our defense.

Has to mean Mullins is going elsewhere. That or Malachi is gone, but we wouldn't know that yet, I don't believe
I don't think it necessarily means that. It could mean a good player became available and the coaches are doing their due diligence.

I don't think it necessarily means that. It could mean a good player became available and the coaches are doing their due diligence.

We need guard depth, irrespective of what happens with Richardson / Mullins. And if one [or both] of those two don't work out in our favor, then we are at dire straights with guard depth for next year.

I was wondering if this kid would be possibility when I saw he was transferring this weekend. I think Mullins would be my first choice but I'd take Gillon in a heartbeat over Spike. No offense to Spike, but I only want to take him if we really don't have any other options since we badly need the depth.

I was wondering if this kid would be possibility when I saw he was transferring this weekend. I think Mullins would be my first choice but I'd take Gillon in a heartbeat over Spike. No offense to Spike, but I only want to take him if we really don't have any other options since we badly need the depth.
My thoughts exactly.

At this point I'll be thrilled landing either Mullins or Gillon. Gillon is used to competing at a higher level, but Mullins is a bit taller. I just want to see a commitment from somebody, sooner rather than later. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more guard depth.

Staff is just playing it safe. Whether they land their preferred choice in Mullins or second choice in Gibbons, we need guard depth. This guy seems like a solid depth option.

Syracuse basketball interested in Colorado State grad transfer John Gillon

Colorado State's John Gillon (4) shoots against Boise State's Nick Duncan. Gillon, a graduate transfer, has been offered a scholarship by both Syracuse and Oklahoma. (AP Photo | David Becker)

PrintEmail

By Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com The Post-Standard
Follow on Twitter
on April 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM, updated April 25, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Syracuse, N.Y. — The Syracuse basketball coaching staff continues to show an interest in the graduate transfer market.

Syracuse, which has been linked to a pair of grad transfers this spring, has offered a scholarship to Colorado State point guard John Gillon Jr., according to Jim Hicks of Rcssports.

A source told syracuse.com that Syracuse hasn't been able to officially offer Gillon a scholarship because the school is still waiting to receive Gillon's release documentation from Colorado State.

Gillon averaged 13.2 points and 3.8 assists per game last season for Colorado State. He started 26 out of 32 games for the Rams. Colorado State finished with an 18-16 record last season.

Gillon, a native of Houston, spent his freshman year at Arkansas-Little Rock before transferring to Colorado State. Gillon is set to graduate with a degree in economics next month. He still has one year of eligibility remaining, but decided to go to another school rather than stay at Colorado State.

Jim Hicks of Houston-based RcsSports reported on Monday that both Syracuse and Oklahoma had offered scholarships to Gillon.

Interestingly, Syracuse and Oklahoma are coming off appearances in the Final Four, which was held in Houston.

ESPN.com's Jeff Borzello tweeted out a list of 11 schools that Gillon is interested in. Syracuse and Oklahoma were both on the list as were schools such as North Carolina State, Purdue and Texas A&M.

Gillon is the third graduate transfered to be linked to Syracuse this spring.

Syracuse has offered a scholarship to Grant Mullins, a 6-foot-4 guard from Columbia University. Mullins visited Syracuse a week ago. He has also visited California and Michigan.

Michigan guard Spike Albrecht is also looking to spent his fifth year at another school. Albrecht included Syracuse on a list of schools, but so far, has not visited the SU campus.

Syracuse basketball offers scholarships to Simi Shittu, Hameir Wright

Both players are part of the EYBL circuit. Shittu is from Ontario, Canada and Wright is from Albany.

More as news becomes available.

This would be a good get. He has played better competition than Mullins. If he has speed then his ability to run in transition negates his height.
Mullins or this kid we need another guard if not both.
We have 3 open schollys. 1 is earmarked for Dembele we could easily take 2 more guards as 5th year guys.

Is there a potential scenario where we take BOTH of them? Even if Mali comes back? Or is it 1 or the other and thats that?

Shot really from three his first two years, had a really good A/T ratio his Soph year - short, but if he can play and open up the offense a bit when he's on the court, makes sense to add him.

Has to mean Mullins is going elsewhere. That or Malachi is gone, but we wouldn't know that yet, I don't believe

I would say it says more about Mullins, I don't think we are going to know for sure about Malachi till the end of May.

He's already transferred once in his career, so this would clearly entail breaking the CuseHulk rules on maximum number of schools one can play for.
I wonder why anyone cares about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom