Class of 2016 - G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse

I think one interesting question for next year is who plays the backup SG minutes next year if Mal leaves. Battle would be the starter, but I'm not sure Frank can play the 2, and can Gillon play off the ball? I guess I'd assume he could since he can shoot, but has he ever had to do that before?

I think one interesting question for next year is who plays the backup SG minutes next year if Mal leaves. Battle would be the starter, but I'm not sure Frank can play the 2, and can Gillon play off the ball? I guess I'd assume he could since he can shoot, but has he ever had to do that before?

I think all three are pretty interchangeable at the 1-2 positions, to me it makes little difference who is the 1 and who is the 2 - I trust Jimmy to decide who the best person is to bring the ball up. By the end of the year though, at the end of the game, I think we'll want the ball in Battle's hands

How manu of franks shot was when the shot clock was running down and he had to get something up? Id say at least 1/3. Not saying hes a great shooter but i think the numbers can deceive in this situation. Its not like he looks like josh pace when he shoots.

I'm not disputing that but he shot very poorly and some seem to be unable to acknowledge that for what it is. I'm not down on Frank and I expect he will be an important part of the team over the next 3 years. I just think its strange that people think he would automatically be ahead of Gillon (an experience, successful PG who is undoubtedly a much better shooter) no questions asked. Lots of freshman shoot poorly, yes its a small sample size, yes some of them were late shot clock heaves but the shooting was still very poor.

Pace as a freshman: FG 58-117 49.6% just saying.

I'm not disputing that but he shot very poorly and some seem to be unable to acknowledge that for what it is. I'm not down on Frank and I expect he will be an important part of the team over the next 3 years. I just think its strange that people think he would automatically be ahead of Gillon (an experience, successful PG who is undoubtedly a much better shooter) no questions asked. Lots of freshman shoot poorly, yes its a small sample size, yes some of them were late shot clock heaves but the shooting was still very poor.

Pace as a freshman: FG 58-117 49.6% just saying.

lol, pace had the lefty floater. I think you know what I meant by the pace reference... onuaku had a great shooting percentage but he obviously was not a great shooter...

lol, pace had the lefty floater. I think you know what I meant by the pace reference... onuaku had a great shooting percentage but he obviously was not a great shooter...

LOL, part of that percentage was 1-10 from 3. He went 1-10 from three combined his final 3 seasons so yep not a shooter.

He passed the eye test for sure. When he was in the game he made quite a few passes which led to wide open shots. I thought he played really well down the stretch and am excited about his future.

Here's my new Q & A with Mr. Gillon, quite revelatory in parts about his role and expectations:

http://.com/driving-the-lane-with-john-gillon/
great work iommi, this is the money quote I think:
I always have seen myself as a starter. I make the most of it when I do come off the bench but this is my last year and I want to have the best role I can. In my eyes that’s being a starter and (playing) big minutes.

Here's my new Q & A with Mr. Gillon, quite revelatory in parts about his role and expectations:

Good work!

I like that he said JB wants the PG to push the ball faster this year. I heard Gillon say previously that the coaches were looking to play faster this year. I like hearing that.

That was very interesting - great interview that sheds some more light on his game and what we might be able to expect next year. Thanks for posting the link.

I agree its quite common for freshman to struggle with shooting in these situations. Frank is far from the first or last that we will see do so at SU. If you look at the history of these type of guys who became good shooters over their career it usually took until their junior seasons. I really do not expect Frank to take off with his shooting numbers next year. I think we will see improvement in that area and he can certainly help us in other ways. He has a lot of potential defensively but that is an area he needs to work hard on to understand where to be and when to move. Still Frank strikes me more as a distributor/scorer than a shooter type. I'm doubtful he will ever be a great shooter but I think he will round out into a dangerous scorer when needed to be one by the end of his career.
Like and agree. Not all player s don't react like Kaleb Joseph . The pg position is OK with Howard and Gillon and even Battle if Jimmy wants to go big across the lineup for his reasoning. The front court at this time is OK but could become the best in the country with one more player added to the depth chart.Coleman could be enough but I think I prefer one of those prospects like Omer or Tauren.Failing this Coleman with improvement over this off season might be more than enough.As long as Lydon isn't asked to play in the middle instead ofat his forward position for both inside and outside ability.

Like and agree. Not all player s don't react like Kaleb Joseph . The pg position is OK with Howard and Gillon and even Battle if Jimmy wants to go big across the lineup for his reasoning. The front court at this time is OK but could become the best in the country with one more player added to the depth chart.Coleman could be enough but I think I prefer one of those prospects like Omer or Tauren.Failing this Coleman with improvement over this off season might be more than enough.As long as Lydon isn't asked to play in the middle instead ofat his forward position for both inside and outside ability.

Chukwu?

Good work, iommi! Liking this kid more and more and I already liked him. Competition for minutes at PG is going to be fierce in practice! We just haven't had this luxury in awhile. I liked his comments regarding SDSU as well. This kid isn't going to be lollygagging around on the court. He'll be a great example for the youngins.

Man, you are SOLID and a great addition to OG!(I love that abbreviation, if folks haven't noticed :) ). Great interview, like the Moyer one. Maybe I'm in a good mood, but I LOVED all of this young man's answers! I liked your questions too, including how you got something out of BOEHEIM in your interrogation! The part about going more up tempo(wasnt that supposed to happen this last season?) really excited me, as it expands beyond Mr Gillon. Great question! SOLID.

If OG ever managed to recruit me and compel me to leave my seclusion and write an occasional guest column(like Hunter Thompson in a way) that is a bit "out there", I think I would entitle my category as "OG Readmore", in tribute to Captain OG Readmore, one of my inspirations:

Last edited:
two3zone said:
He showed he can't shoot at all. I'm not saying he'll never be a rotation guy or anything along those lines, but going all in with somebody that shoots like that and has a A/T ratio less than 2/1 is not the smartest decision.

Chances are higher that he doesn't become the next MCW, but hey Miss Cleo - shoot me the lottery numbers will ya.

Chances are higher that he doesn't become the next MCW, but hey Miss Cleo - shoot me the lottery numbers will ya.

I'm not the one who said he is going to blow up like MCW. You may want to get your numbers from that poster.

two3zone said:
I'm not the one who said he is going to blow up like MCW. You may want to get your numbers from that poster.

You were just as convinced that he wouldn't become a good shooter - so yeah. Rule #1: you can't rag on someone for thinking the best will happen by predicting that it won't happen.

You just don't know. That's what makes sports fun.

You were just as convinced that he wouldn't become a good shooter - so yeah. Rule #1: you can't rag on someone for thinking the best will happen by predicting that it won't happen.

You just don't know. That's what makes sports fun.

Quote me where I said he wouldn't. I actually said Howard would be fine, but he has a long way to go.

This is about a 5th year senior who has had success at this level and a sophomore who shot under 30% from the field last year. Big difference.

What I'm saying is far more realistic than "blowing up like MCW". That's just beyond insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom