Class of 2016 - G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G John Gillon Jr. Commited to Syracuse

I'd love to see it as a regular part of our arsenal. Not necessarily for long stretches but short 3min (or so) bursts of aggressive pressing that could be employed at anytime. I'd also like to see us push the ball quickly while we are in the press even on makes. Get some up and down open court bball into the mix please!
Battle is amazing in transition. Bring back the Syracuse uptempo game, please. We have above the rim finishers too.

John, welcome to the Syracuse Basketball family. Go Orange!

John Gillon.jpeg

Full highlights. Very fast. As others have noted, be nice to have a few shooters to spread out the floor for him.

Imagine if we just signed a kid out of highschool and this was his highlight video. We would be going gaga over what type of player he would be for us. Now lets remember that this kid did all of that against legit D1 college competition, granted not ACC level but the Mt.West isn't a 1 bid league year in and year out either. Plus he has experience and likely a lot more maturity than your average freshman coming in. On a team returning 1 soph guard, possibly 2 and bringing in 1 freshman guard this is exactly what we need.

Full highlights. Very fast. As others have noted, be nice to have a few shooters to spread out the floor for him.

He had more PnR finishes in his highlight clips, than our entire team did last season.

Robey is gonna get a Gillion dunks offa that action next season. :cool:

He had more PnR finishes in his highlight clips, than our entire team did last season.

Robey is gonna get a Gillion dunks offa that action next season. :cool:
First thing I thought too when watching his highlights. He can get past that defender much better than MG was able too, with his speed. TR and TL could get a ton of dunks off that action, especially if a guy like Mali is on the perimeter protecting from a defense crowding the paint.

The more and more I watch Gillon, the more and more I actually prefer him to Mullins. While Mullins is a tremendous shooter, Gillon's ability to attack the basket is going to create so much more spacing for perimeter players. Can you imagine a Lydon-Gillon pick and roll/pop? HAVE to hedge to respect Gillon's speed, but also HAVE to get out on Lydon to alter his three point shot from his height. I'm a big fan.

He will be fun to watch for sure.

I will be very interested in seeing how good he is at executing the pick and roll. TL has the potential to be really good at this, and TR and DC have also shown ability to score this way.

The second thing I am really interested in is if he can pass an alley oop decently. We didn't have that the last couple of years. With TRob, JL and Chukwu next season, having someone who can throw that pass would be really good. I suspect Battle is going to be excellent at this...

He will be fun to watch for sure.

I will be very interested in seeing how good he is at executing the pick and roll. TL has the potential to be really good at this, and TR and DC have also shown ability to score this way.

The second thing I am really interested in is if he can pass an alley oop decently. We didn't have that the last couple of years. With TRob, JL and Chukwu next season, having someone who can throw that pass would be really good. I suspect Battle is going to be excellent at this...

Not difficult to envision Chukwu, Roberson, Battle, Lydon, and hopefully Mali being the recipients of some pretty alley oops off this kid's forays into the lane. He's going to create a lot of easy scoring opportunities for his teammates off of his speed, handle, and ability to drive.

Not difficult to envision Chukwu, Roberson, Battle, Lydon, and hopefully Mali being the recipients of some pretty alley oops off this kid's forays into the lane. He's going to create a lot of easy scoring opportunities for his teammates off of his speed, handle, and ability to drive.

And don't forget about my guy, Mister Moyer. If earning the opportunity for some playing time like I think he will, Moyer can throw down nasty slams with the best of them. That kid loves dunking in someone's mug and he has great hands to catch lobs.

He will .I like the idea of a jack rabbit at the pg.Its been awhile alley oops can be spread to the entire front court. The only exception might be Coleman. Figuring that there isn't going to be another center coming into the team I think coleman will play a very important role this coming season. I DON'T want to see Lydon playing there unless both of our low post guys are in trouble with fouls. I'presuming that Chucky will be ready physically and ability wise to start and dominate with his PT. Its going to be a fun football and basketball season with both undergoing some changes in style. This coming season the basketball team is going tohave a loaded front court which is unusual for Jimmy.Adding Gillon is a big deal for the team.

Battle is amazing in transition. Bring back the Syracuse uptempo game, please. We have above the rim finishers too.

Want to love, not like this post. Really missing the old Cuse offense. Seems like with new rules coolege hoop is showing signs of evolving back to a game conducive to uptempo offense. The old grind it out Big East (read Georgetown / Pitt) slugfests are over.

This is a huge get. With or without Mali he'll make serious contributions, and in the event Mali leaves I think Gillon totally changes the expectations for next year

I especially agree with your point about "if" Mal isn't back. Even if Mal is however we now have a proven D1 PG who can score at all three levels, run the PnR, handle being pressed and make FT's. That's still a pretty big deal when we are looking at having Battle (FR) Howard (Soph) as our PG's going into the season. Both are more or less being converted into PG's from being wings. Not that they won't be successful but at least you have a proven PG play now no matter what happens.

I'm a little uncertain why Gillon was a must get other than insurance for Mali not coming back. But if Mali does return, Gillon makes for four guards, which JB rarely, if ever, plays (think MCW as a freshman couldn't crack the lineup). Is Gillon a vote of non-confidence in Frank, which would be odd because Frank's the JB prototype for lead guard and could blow up next year just as MCW did? Is he another shooter we need? If Mali returns, JB's got to find back court minutes for Battle, Howard, Gillon and Mali. Hmmm...not his strong suit. In the front court, if Mali sometimes plays the 3, JB's got to find minutes for him, Lydon, TRob, Coleman, Moyer and Chuckwa in some combination, also not what he does best.

Unless Mali leaves, which is anything but certain because he's going to have to play his way into the first round, I don't get it...

When has JB had a guard that shot 10% from three and 30% overall with a below 2/1 assist to turnover ratio?

I think people forget how good MCW was coming in let alone his second year. Thinking a Howard blow up into that is just insane.

Gillon didn't transfer to sit behind a guard who has essentially done nothing to prove he belongs on the court during games, he came to play and id be shocked if he didn't start. (If Mali doesn't come back)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom