Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

Lol to all the posters who said “it’s not happening”, “we won’t even bother reaching out”, “there’s zero interest on his end”… what a wild new world this is. Let’s get this done.
snotty girl.gif

;)

Would be an interesting fit considering I believe Red's vision is to be up tempo and Kadary doesn't fit that. However, talent wise you make an exception. I've been a SHU season ticket holder the last few years and while he's still flawed he's shown great growth. He can get to his spots/whatever spot he wants. Still not a good shooter but does everything else exceptional. Always a triple double threat and while he still floats a little bit, he was in better shape / more engaged this year.

Not sure how much say he'll have / where his camp will want him to go. Rumor friends of mine told me was his mid-season "injury" was NIL related.

Personally, would welcome him back with open arms if we have the chance to land him.

Would be an interesting fit considering I believe Red's vision is to be up tempo and Kadary doesn't fit that. However, talent wise you make an exception. I've been a SHU season ticket holder the last few years and while he's still flawed he's shown great growth. He can get to his spots/whatever spot he wants. Still not a good shooter but does everything else exceptional. Always a triple double threat and while he still floats a little bit, he was in better shape / more engaged this year.

Not sure how much say he'll have / where his camp will want him to go. Rumor friends of mine told me was his mid-season "injury" was NIL related.

Personally, would welcome him back with open arms if we have the chance to land him.
If your coach has a vision, you shouldn't recruit players that don't fit the vision.

It's worth reaching out for sure but if Red sees any red flags I'd run away fast. Especially at the money we're talking about.

If your coach has a vision, you shouldn't recruit players that don't fit the vision.

It's worth reaching out for sure but if Red sees any red flags I'd run away fast. Especially at the money we're talking about.
Can't imagine he would have reached out to him if there were some bad things that would come up. He already has coached him for a year and he and the other coaches have a network of contacts that they talk to.

Red's ship isn't going to make it far out of port if he insists that every recruit has to be an unselfish, great teammate first, talent be damned. We need talent and skill. Finding players that bring this and the right attitude are unicorns. I just feel that maybe Red is overcompensating for the last year and that he's forgetting it was a combination of bad attitude and mediocre talent. Woof.

Red's ship isn't going to make it far out of port if he insists that every recruit has to be an unselfish, great teammate first, talent be damned. We need talent and skill. Finding players that bring this and the right attitude are unicorns. I just feel that maybe Red is overcompensating for the last year and that he's forgetting it was a combination of bad attitude and mediocre talent. Woof.
So did you read the second and third sentence or just completely ignore it?

If you have one person that is not buying in, it allows others to not buy in. That's all I'm saying. It's important, especially when that person already has a history with us.

Talent isn't everything. How many "talented and skilled" NBA teams went out in the first round of the playoffs this year? How many "talented and skilled" NCAA teams didn't make it out of opening weekend?

So did you read the second and third sentence or just completely ignore it?

If you have one person that is not buying in, it allows others to not buy in. That's all I'm saying. It's important, especially when that person already has a history with us.

Talent isn't everything. How many "talented and skilled" NBA teams went out in the first round of the playoffs this year? How many "talented and skilled" NCAA teams didn't make it out of opening weekend?
Nobody is saying it's everything, but you have to admit that talent is what excites the fan base. Had our disgruntled "stars" been talented enough to make the tournament last year and won a game or two, that team would be remembered a lot more favorably, warts and all.

Yep. Red's call. He determines the fit and the value we're we should assign from the NIL budget.

If it works out, great, if not, find someone else.

Personally, I'd love to see him back here, but I'm not nearly basketball (or any other kind of) smart enough to know if that's the right decision.

I love Richmond's game, always have. He oozed of talent as a freshman, with a great passing ability. Copeland to me was always a lesser version of Richmond. That is not a knock on Copeland, Richmond is just a very solid guard.

With that being said, not sure how he drastically improves the current mix of players in terms of style of play. We need more shooting, imo. We need a pass first guard who can hit open threes at a clip of 37-40% for this team to really be good.

We added the bigger bodies, and I think Red wants to run and play through the post in the half court. Throw the ball down low and have guys who can hit jumpers on the perimeter when the defense collapses. Richmond is not a natural transition player and is not a jump shooter.

I am indifferent on him returning. Not sure he fits the style that Red wants to play.

I need to smoke that good good of whatever y’all are smoking that makes you think kadary doesn’t make this team significantly better.

He can control a game by himself (with a lower level group of players) without being able to shoot! He makes everyone better without being a threat to shoot. I get it, I'd love to add another guard who shoots 37%+ from 3pt. I'm not convinced a player like that improves us as much as Kadary does though. As a portal PG I think you would be hard pressed to find a guy that was more of a sure thing.

I need to smoke that good good of whatever y’all are smoking that makes you think kadary doesn’t make this team significantly better.
His stats are eerily similar to Judah's in regards to efficiency. Judah scored a little more, and Richmond rebounded better. Their shooting percentages are practically identical, same with assists/turnovers. It is not as simple as some want to make it out to be. The fit to the team makes a difference.

I'm in the camp which REALLY would be excited to have Kadary back. As for his 3pt shooting, yeah, just not a big part of his game. He isn't necessarily bad at it, just doesn't take more than 1-2 a game (avg is at 1.4), so he doesn't force it. Last year was rough, but the year before he shot 44.4% and overall is at about 34%. He does so many other things really well!

His stats are eerily similar to Judah's in regards to efficiency. Judah scored a little more, and Richmond rebounded better. Their shooting percentages are practically identical, same with assists/turnovers. It is not as simple as some want to make it out to be. The fit to the team makes a difference.

Actually, it IS that simple. Because it isn't just about comparing stats.

One is a natural lead guard, who makes his teammates better. The other is more athletic / more dynamic, but doesn't.

The stats might be a wash, but the capabilities aren't the same. You nailed it with your last sentence, though.

Actually, it IS that simple. Because it isn't just about comparing stats.

One is a natural lead guard, who makes his teammates better. The other is more athletic / more dynamic, but doesn't.

The stats might be a wash, but the capabilities aren't the same. You nailed it with your last sentence, though.
You're right its not just about stats. I have watched this program try to plug whatever pieces together for the last however many years and fail. I am very happy with the adds so far in the portal. We are bigger, more experienced, and I think overall a better team. The pieces fit better than they have in years. We have guys to play their natural positions. I disagree that Richmond makes us substantially better due to his style of play. If he comes here, I hope he crushes it and proves me wrong. Still do not think he comes back, but time will tell.

Here's the list from last year that shot at least 37% and averaged 5 assists.

9 guys. (8 really since one only shot 17 3s)

In all of college basketball.

And you want us to find one of them.
I never said 5 assists and plus or minus 1 per game is not a big deal. 154 guys averaged 4 assists per game. Richmond averaged 5 assists but also averaged 3.1 turnovers per game, which would have led the team. As stated, I like Richmond's game and I was not happy when he left. Right now we essentially have one really good shooter, an unproven freshman shooter in Moore, and a few guys hovering in the low 30's. Have we all not watched our offense these past few seasons? We may not need 37% but 28% is not helping a major weakness this team has.