Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

So did you read the second and third sentence or just completely ignore it?

If you have one person that is not buying in, it allows others to not buy in. That's all I'm saying. It's important, especially when that person already has a history with us.

Talent isn't everything. How many "talented and skilled" NBA teams went out in the first round of the playoffs this year? How many "talented and skilled" NCAA teams didn't make it out of opening weekend?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but talent is always the top priority. Buying in is on the coach as much as it is on the players. Some are just malcontents and that's just that. A lot is on the culture and expectations built within the program.

Also, the NBA?

The western conference will be the 1, 2, 3 and then either the 4 or 5 seed.

The east is the 1, 2, the 4 or 5 seed and the only reason the 3 seed lost is because one of the top three players in the NBA wasn't playing and the second best player was barely playing.

The top teams that are talented and skilled made it.

In Zach Lowe's all nba (1st through 3rd) 8 out of 15 guys are moving on. Because of how stacked the west is, some guys have to lose (eg: Bron, Durant, AD, Book, etc).

UConn will have between 3-5 guys drafted in the NBA draft.

It's not everything, but our roster right now has no high level talent outside of Donnie potentially being good for a rook and praying that Westry pops off.

I never said 5 assists and plus or minus 1 per game is not a big deal. 154 guys averaged 4 assists per game. Richmond averaged 5 assists but also averaged 3.1 turnovers per game, which would have led the team. As stated, I like Richmond's game and I was not happy when he left. Right now we essentially have one really good shooter, an unproven freshman shooter in Moore, and a few guys hovering in the low 30's. Have we all not watched our offense these past few seasons? We may not need 37% but 28% is not helping a major weakness this team has.
Kids do get better. Just hoping the team does too. Hard in the portal era to figure out how much better or worse off a team will be. That is why we need to let the coaches do their thing. For the record I hate portal hoops.

Kids do get better. Just hoping the team does too. Hard in the portal era to figure out how much better or worse off a team will be. That is why we need to let the coaches do their thing. For the record I hate portal hoops.
Same here, I long for the days of watching GMac and others having their senior days after 4 years on the hill. I am confident in the direction Red wants to go. It is hard watching Cuse basketball struggle.

Props to Red for reaching out to him. I had my doubts he would but you can never say never. Time does heal some wounds. I don’t know why, but Kadary didn’t like SU from almost the minute he got here and decided early on he wasn’t staying. Blackwell even mentioned it on a podcast. He also torched a couple coaches on the way out the door. Also, I’m sure some will remember that stupid video he and Woody posted from a “Covid party”.

Hopefully everyone just says forget the past and let’s start anew. I think he’d be almost a perfect add to this group. Not just as a PG but he has a knack for rebounding which would offset others some.

Make it happen Red.

I never said 5 assists and plus or minus 1 per game is not a big deal. 154 guys averaged 4 assists per game. Richmond averaged 5 assists but also averaged 3.1 turnovers per game, which would have led the team. As stated, I like Richmond's game and I was not happy when he left. Right now we essentially have one really good shooter, an unproven freshman shooter in Moore, and a few guys hovering in the low 30's. Have we all not watched our offense these past few seasons? We may not need 37% but 28% is not helping a major weakness this team has.
Agree. This team could use more/better 3pt shooters. But it also needs better point guard play in terms of running an offense, distributing, and leading. As things stand right now they have one pg. A transfer that put up solid numbers in a lower level conference. And lets not fool ourselves thinking he is a knock down 3pt shooter either (34% in the CAA). I know the thought is Westry could also fill that role, but with his history of injuries and not really playing pg at the college level to this point we can not bank on that. Another issue from the pg position (aside from 3pt shooting) that people complained about all last year was the lack of defense. Kadary would be a major upgrade in that regard.

Ok, let's change to 4 apg, >35% from 3, and at least 50 3 attempts.

Again, I think you are just throwing numbers around and aren't really sure what the level of player will take.

Look at some of those names. Javon Small. Dug McDaniel. Elijah Hawkins.

We weren't close with them by all accounts.

how’s the high?
space cat GIF

Props to Red for reaching out to him. I had my doubts he would but you can never say never. Time does heal some wounds. I don’t know why, but Kadary didn’t like SU from almost the minute he got here and decided early on he wasn’t staying. Blackwell even mentioned it on a podcast. He also torched a couple coaches on the way out the door. Also, I’m sure some will remember that stupid video he and Woody posted from a “Covid party”.

Hopefully everyone just says forget the past and let’s start anew. I think he’d be almost a perfect add to this group. Not just as a PG but he has a knack for rebounding which would offset others some.

Make it happen Red.
It would be great to see him come back full circle. I feel that way about Deuce coming back for a final year on the gridiron.

Ok, let's change to 4 apg, >35% from 3, and at least 50 3 attempts.

Again, I think you are just throwing numbers around and aren't really sure what the level of player will take.

Look at some of those names. Javon Small. Dug McDaniel. Elijah Hawkins.

We weren't close with them by all accounts.
Of course it would have to be a high caliber guy. We are Syracuse, just haven’t acted like it much the last decade. I still like the other guys we brought in.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to get the stats. I certainly would prefer Richmond over most, but I wish we had other options. It’s too bad Reynolds never portaled. My fear is another year of stagnant half court offense with lackluster shooting.

Would be an interesting fit considering I believe Red's vision is to be up tempo and Kadary doesn't fit that. However, talent wise you make an exception. I've been a SHU season ticket holder the last few years and while he's still flawed he's shown great growth. He can get to his spots/whatever spot he wants. Still not a good shooter but does everything else exceptional. Always a triple double threat and while he still floats a little bit, he was in better shape / more engaged this year.

Not sure how much say he'll have / where his camp will want him to go. Rumor friends of mine told me was his mid-season "injury" was NIL related.

Personally, would welcome him back with open arms if we have the chance to land him.
The St. Johns board and fans were posting a lot about Kadary taking a three game break mid January due to NIL renegotiations. That 3 game stretch cost the hall an NCAA berth. If any of that true that would be truly awful. Let's assume it's not. While unlikely, he would be an amazing add.

Make it happen Red.
If he didn’t like it at SU from the start, why would he want to come back?

Kadary and Jaquan played against each other in HS a number of times and I am sure many other times in summer ball, AAU, etc. They have known each other for a long time. I bet they are talking about playing together and how it might work.

If Richmond comes, we would suddenly have 5 guards, 4 of which are NYC natives. You could call Chance a guard too but I consider him a swing man.

I guess this is what happens when your HC and most experienced assistant are both from the city.

Kadary was two years ahead of Jaquan but they were both among the best players in the city circa 2019.

Here is one article on a game they played…

Would they play together if they were sharing the same position?

JB not only made a bad decision but in addition the way that he tried to defend his decision by trying to put the blame on Kadary for not being in shape was a low point for him.
He reached a lower point a couple of weeks ago calling into Higgins show to respond to Vitos call, lol

The St. Johns board and fans were posting a lot about Kadary taking a three game break mid January due to NIL renegotiations. That 3 game stretch cost the hall an NCAA berth. If any of that true that would be truly awful. Let's assume it's not. While unlikely, he would be an amazing add.

Just playing devil's advocate... What if structured NIL payments he was due were not on time (or something of that ilk??)

We are 100% pay-to-play at this point... no pay... no play...

Sure it is.

How many of these 8 (not these specific 8, but these type of players)

A) Are even in the portal?
B) Are in the price range we are looking at?
3 of the 8 are out of eligibility and one has declared for the NBA draft.

I have zero expectations here but to me the play with Kadary, no matter how high the price is that this is a move that can pay off in multiple ways. You add him to this squad and it flips to top 15 team and if things break right a legit contender. You have size, interior scoring, a legit first round talent in Donnie, one of the best shooters in the country, speed and scoring at SG, depth with a legit PG to play behind Richmond or with at times in Carlos, a perfect third forward (Davis) who can do a little of everything and two wild cards in Westry and the frosh Moore. It’s unlikely we get there but the depth and overall talent that he would connect and complete would make this a scary team if things gel.

It’s just likely an incredibly expensive play to make it happen so help will have to be out there to do so. A big year that sends Kadary and Donnie to the NBA, puts us back on the map and then gets us rolling to bring in Kiyan and an overall top 10 class with a couple more txfrs to keep the juice flowing and the last 6 years can start to fade into the background.

Again all of this is fantasy fiction to a degree but in terms of a moment of how do you flip the script… well it’s here if Red can work a miracle.

I have zero expectations here but to me the play with Kadary, no matter how high the price is that this is a move that can pay off in multiple ways. You add him to this squad and it flips to top 15 team and if things break right a legit contender. You have size, interior scoring, a legit first round talent in Donnie, one of the best shooters in the country, speed and scoring at SG, depth with a legit PG to play behind Richmond or with at times in Carlos, a perfect third forward (Davis) who can do a little of everything and two wild cards in Westry and the frosh Moore. It’s unlikely we get there but the depth and overall talent that he would connect and complete would make this a scary team if things gel.

It’s just likely an incredibly expensive play to make it happen so help will have to be out there to do so. A big year that sends Kadary and Donnie to the NBA, puts us back on the map and then gets us rolling to bring in Kiyan and an overall top 10 class with a couple more txfrs to keep the juice flowing and the last 6 years can start to fade into the background.

Again all of this is fantasy fiction to a degree but in terms of a moment of how do you flip the script… well it’s here if Red can work a miracle.
We need to reconnect with some of the big donors from past years to get things back on track.
Hopefully JB in his new position can do for the NIL in basketball, what he did as a coach for almost 50 years.