Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

How did his handle look/hold up? How was he used in AAU spot up shooter or was he more involved?
His handle is very solid. He's not Dion off the bounce but he's very capable of creating his own on shot off the bounce and hitting the open teammate. He plays in a three guard lineup with Q. Rose and Howard Washington. Each usually take turns handling the rock and making plays. Huerter definitely benefits getting a lot of open looks because of it, but he's far from being limited to only a spot up shooter.

Francis03 said:
His handle is very solid. He's not Dion off the bounce but he's very capable of creating his own on shot off the bounce and hitting the open teammate. He plays in a three guard lineup with Q. Rose and Howard Washington. Each usually take turns handling the rock and making plays. Huerter definitely benefits getting a lot of open looks because of it, but he's far from being limited to only a spot up shooter.
Is he our first orange haired dude?

This kid is tearing it up in the AAU season. We need him. Any chance for 2016?

Cusefan0307 said:
This kid is tearing it up in the AAU season. We need him. Any chance for 2016?

I'd be inclined to take him for 2016 if we think we can't get an an elite point.

A big shooting guard.

Joseph and Howard can man the point.

Focus on 2017 for an elite point.

I'd be inclined to take him for 2016 if we think we can't get an an elite point.

A big shooting guard.

Joseph and Howard can man the point.

Focus on 2017 for an elite point.
And Huerter might be able to run the point in a pinch. He's a solid ball handler and has outstanding court vision. He's a more athletic Andy Rautins, and Andy was certainly capable of playing PG if needed.

Huerter is 12 for his last 22 from three in AAU ball. This kid is about to blow up in a big way. Really hope we can find a way to bring him in.

http://.com/hoops-target-kevin-huerter-blowing-up/

I'd much rather get this kid than a plan B option at PG. In fact, he might be better for the program than a kid like Simmons. Give me an elite shooter any day of the week. Throw in his height, underrated athleticism and ability to handle ball handling duties and he should be a priority. I think 2017 has to be out the window at this point unless he is 100% SU at whatever cost.

Getting the scholarship penalty reduced could be the key to this kid.

Count me on board for moving his offer up to 2016. Kid just keeps getting better and would be just as good a get as Gilbert IMO. Waiting on Simmons is a dangerous move and if we find out he wants to come to Cuse I'm sure Boeheim would be able to open up a scholarship through transfer or reduced sanctions. Just get Huerter now. He's not going to go 2017 at this point as too many schools want him. Would not be surprised if he goes to prep school this year with his brother. Really hoping we get this kid.

Count me on board for moving his offer up to 2016. Kid just keeps getting better and would be just as good a get as Gilbert IMO. Waiting on Simmons is a dangerous move and if we find out he wants to come to Cuse I'm sure Boeheim would be able to open up a scholarship through transfer or reduced sanctions. Just get Huerter now. He's not going to go 2017 at this point as too many schools want him. Would not be surprised if he goes to prep school this year with his brother. Really hoping we get this kid.

Yes, I see this scenario a bit like Warrick back in the day. We lost Battle (Hodge) and maybe got a kid that proves to be a better player for our program long term? Sign him up and move on.

This might work out in our favor if we want to wait on Simmons, actually. Keep Huerter in '17 for now, then if we don't land Simmons in the spring, we can bump Huerter up to the '16 class. It could give us a little flexibility, in theory.

From what others have said describing his game, sounds like he's more of a 2G than a PG. With Malachi and Howard coming in 2015 there aren't minutes there. Does anyone that has seen him a few times think he's a PG? I'd like to see the staff get a true PG and not another "combo" guard that has handle and PG instincts issues.

jekelish said:
This might work out in our favor if we want to wait on Simmons, actually. Keep Huerter in '17 for now, then if we don't land Simmons in the spring, we can bump Huerter up to the '16 class. It could give us a little flexibility, in theory.

Is Huerter willing to become a '17 recruit?

Seems like there's plenty of good schools looking to take him now.

Madbiker said:
From what others have said describing his game, sounds like he's more of a 2G than a PG. With Malachi and Howard coming in 2015 there aren't minutes there. Does anyone that has seen him a few times think he's a PG? I'd like to see the staff get a true PG and not another "combo" guard that has handle and PG instincts issues.

Howard isn't a 2 despite what some think. He's not a good shooter and will be better off at the point.

Is Huerter willing to become a '17 recruit?

Seems like there's plenty of good schools looking to take him now.
There was an article in the PS a week or two ago in which he indicated he's open to it. And some of those other schools he's looking at are talking about redshirting him anyway.

Plays PG for Shen and plays in a 3-guard lineup for Albany City Rocks with all 3 getting time at the point. May be better suited at SG but more than capable of playing the 1. I also think there will be minutes at the 2 anyway as Howard will probably play most of his minutes at the 1 which leaves no one to back up Richardson.

There was an article in the PS a week or two ago in which he indicated he's open to it. And some of those other schools he's looking at are talking about redshirting him anyway.
When most of these schools get to watch him play again this summer during the live period, there is no way that anybody would want him to redshirt.

From people's descriptions he sounds like Cooney 2.0 and a lot of people (not me) hate Cooney.

From people's descriptions he sounds like Cooney 2.0 and a lot of people (not me) hate Cooney.
I think he's more like Andy Rautins then trevor Cooney. It seems like Huerter can control the pg spot, that's something that Cooney can't do.

Sounds (and looks) to me it would be in our best interest to take him for '16.
He doesn't have the long-term upside of Simmons, but I'd wager he'll at least be a more complete player than Simmons by next year.

Sounds (and looks) to me it would be in our best interest to take him for '16.
He doesn't have the long-term upside of Simmons, but I'd wager he'll at least be a more complete player than Simmons by next year.

To add to that, Simmons may be the player who can help more immediately but he will also be a 1 year guy. What I like about Huerter is he is probably someone who will be able to give us 4 years, which I think is often something that is overlooked on this forum. As nice as it would be to have Simmons running point for a year, imagine a more mature Huerter playing alongside Trevon Duval.

pearl31 said:
Sounds (and looks) to me it would be in our best interest to take him for '16. He doesn't have the long-term upside of Simmons, but I'd wager he'll at least be a more complete player than Simmons by next year.

Might be more accurate to say he has less short term upside and more long term upside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom