Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

This is a very interesting dilemma for cuse, especially with the sanctions and loss of ships. Huerter in most years would be a must get local recruit. Tall PG who can shoot lights out. But if he wants to stay in 16, as he is super young and needs to add strength do we bring him in, or another pg who is more ready to play immediately. I think if we miss on him, we will be sorry in the long run. Who was the kid from upstate that we didn't recruit and went to BYU? Was a top 15 NBA pick, although he has not done anything since. Straight shooter.
How could you forget Jimmer!

This is a very interesting dilemma for cuse, especially with the sanctions and loss of ships. Huerter in most years would be a must get local recruit. Tall PG who can shoot lights out. But if he wants to stay in 16, as he is super young and needs to add strength do we bring him in, or another pg who is more ready to play immediately. I think if we miss on him, we will be sorry in the long run. Who was the kid from upstate that we didn't recruit and went to BYU? Was a top 15 NBA pick, although he has not done anything since. Straight shooter.

Luckily, it appears that Gilbert will make his college choice before Huerter, so if we don't land Gilbert then we should welcome Huerter with open arms. Simmons probably won't decide until the spring, but if he wants to come here then I'm 100% certain Boeheim will find a way to get him here.

Getting this kid would be awesome, good handles, and can shoot the ball. Imagine having 2 point guards in Howard and Huerter being 6'5" and 6'6" respectively. Add Malachi Rivhardson a 6'6" SG and possibly a 7'2" Center, with Moyer and Lydon on the wings. Have we ever had a bigger zone than that?

Hmmm, does he know he's a 2017 offer? Maybe things changed? Interesting.

I think Iommi said he told him at the Mary Kline Classic that GMac said if Huerter wanted to come in 2016 that they would work it out or something along those lines.
Thanks missed that.

I think Iommi said he told him at the Mary Kline Classic that GMac said if Huerter wanted to come in 2016 that they would work it out or something along those lines.

Yeah, Moyer said, "'Coach" is open to the idea of bringing him (Huerter) in for '16" or something very close to that. I'm almost positive "Coach" was a GMac reference because we had just been talking about Moyer's close relationship with Gerry.

EDIT: I want to emphasize again (like I did in an earlier post), how animated Moyer got when he mentioned how hard he is pushing Huerter to come to SU; you can tell he really wants him in Orange and must think we have a legit shot. Moyer also emphasized that although he is friendly with 2017 guys we are targeting, he's really focusing on recruiting kids for 2016. That only adds to the idea that we are not looking at Huerter as strictly a 2017 kid.

Last edited:
Yeah, Moyer said, "'Coach" is open to the idea of bringing him (Huerter) in for '16" or something very close to that. I'm almost positive "Coach" was a GMac reference because we had just been talking about Moyer's close relationship with Gerry.

EDIT: I want to emphasize again (like I did in an earlier post), how animated Moyer got when he mentioned how hard he is pushing Huerter to come to SU; you can tell he really wants him in Orange and must think we have a legit shot. Moyer also emphasized that although he is friendly with 2017 guys we are targeting, he's really focusing on recruiting kids for 2016. That only adds to the idea that we are not looking at Huerter as strictly a 2017 kid.

Im all in if huerter can be our "hak" given the situation. If i remember that worked out pretty well :)

Just received some good info about Huerter and it's pretty much safe to say if we pressed for a commitment he wouldn't hesitate to give us one. Biggest factor at the moment is working out which class he'll end up in. He'll basically only do 2017 for SU. So if he does end up reclassifying other schools shouldn't bother trying to recruit him.

Just received some good info about Huerter and it's pretty much safe to say if we pressed for a commitment he wouldn't hesitate to give us one. Biggest factor at the moment is working out which class he'll end up in. He'll basically only do 2017 for SU. So if he does end up reclassifying other schools shouldn't bother trying to recruit him.

excellent. Tough to not get a great shooter in your backyard. Be interesting to see what happens here. Honestly with both Joseph and Howard running the point, we should just get him into the program and redshirt him if he needs an extra year. That is, if the scholarships work out for us.

That is great news! He has all the makings of being a very good college player once he matures physically.

excellent. Tough to not get a great shooter in your backyard. Be interesting to see what happens here. Honestly with both Joseph and Howard running the point, we should just get him into the program and redshirt him if he needs an extra year. That is, if the scholarships work out for us.

If he wanted to do that but sometimes prepping and playing is just as beneficial because you play in real games all season, not just practice. Still redshirting lets you learn the system you will play in and is usually better for strength and conditioning. We need all the ships we can get at this point though.

If he wanted to do that but sometimes prepping and playing is just as beneficial because you play in real games all season, not just practice. Still redshirting lets you learn the system you will play in and is usually better for strength and conditioning. We need all the ships we can get at this point though.

I agree completely. Just dont' want to lose him because we are so bent on him being 2017. If it was an either or, I'd much rather take him in 2016 and take our chances with a Jr Joseph and Soph Howard.

so now does the staff turn up the pressure on Gilbert and let him know they'll sign Huerter if Alterique doesn't hurry up and pull the trigger?

Simmons

and Simmons is a one and done for sure, so should he come in, that's a replaceable ship in 2017. At least thats how it looks right now.

Recruiting is literally puzzle work right now for cuse, gotta mix and match very carefully :)

yeah but aren't people saying Simmons probably won't decide until next spring? We simply can't wait that long, which is why I think it comes down to Huerter/Alterique

Francis... Just to get clarification: I assume you mean, if he reclassifies to 2017, SU would be his only possible landing spot (in '17)? This sort of jives with what Moyer told me: that we would take Huerter in 2016, if it came to that. Awesome!

Francis... Just to get clarification: I assume you mean, if he reclassifies to 2017, SU would be his only possible landing spot (in '17)? This sort of jives with what Moyer told me: that we would take Huerter in 2016, if it came to that. Awesome!
Yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom