Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

If he goes to prep he will be here for 2017.
Nice, that would be ideal, however, he definitely has other options! Kid looks great though. Definitely would be a long 2 in the zone!

If he goes to prep he will be here for 2017.

I know people have been saying it, but I don't see why he would go prep. Already has offers from some high majors, and you don't see many kids turning that down for prep school. He is currently a junior yes, and I think what he ends up doing depends on how his senior year is. But if I was to guess, even if he has a rough senior year and his stock falls, he would end up at Siena (his dad's alma mater) before he went to prep school.

I'm interested to see if schools are recruiting him as a PG or SG. Could end up in a similar situation to Battle- wants to play the point but might be better suited as a 2 in the long run. It will be interesting to see going forward as this could be a big factor in his recruitment that might play in our favor...after last year I wouldn't be opposed to some PG depth.

I know people have been saying it, but I don't see why he would go prep. Already has offers from some high majors, and you don't see many kids turning that down for prep school.

A lot of kids are going to prep schools these days. It might be possible that some offers are contingent on him spending the year at prep school to develop physically. That way he comes to college at 19 and can still possibly red shirt a year. Look at someone like BJ who neither red shirted nor went to prep school. He definitely could have benefitted from that extra year. Huerter could be someone similar.

On that note, Syracuse basketball is huge in my town. Would not be surprised if this kid was willing to be a preferred walk-on for the Orange. If something falls through with Battle, he would be a great depth pick up without burning a scholarship.
As highly as I think of Syracuse's basketball program, he would have to be out of his damn mind to turn down a full ride to Michigan to pay 30-55k a year

As highly as I think of Syracuse's basketball program, he would have to be out of his damn mind to turn down a full ride to Michigan to pay 30-55k a year

He doesn't have to be out of his mind, his parents do (and I think they just might be). He's going to be a four year kid, who's to say he doesn't walk on for a year and then get offered a scholarship once we have more to offer?

He doesn't have to be out of his mind, his parents do (and I think they just might be). He's going to be a four year kid, who's to say he doesn't walk on for a year and then get offered a scholarship once we have more to offer?

If my son decided to do that, I would literally think about strangling him. I wouldn't, of course, but I would think about it.

It takes quite a bit of desire to give up a free ride for the chance at maybe having one further down the line. Don't forget the image factor. Which do you think would be cooler to say, "I got a full ride to play basketball at (insert university here)", or "I walked on at (insert university here)."

I'm a huge fan of SU, but even I would have to think twice about giving up a free ride. Do we even know he is that much of a fan of SU that he would do such a thing?

If my son decided to do that, I would literally think about strangling him. I wouldn't, of course, but I would think about it.

It takes quite a bit of desire to give up a free ride for the chance at maybe having one further down the line. Don't forget the image factor. Which do you think would be cooler to say, "I got a full ride to play basketball at (insert university here)", or "I walked on at (insert university here)."

I'm a huge fan of SU, but even I would have to think twice about giving up a free ride. Do we even know he is that much of a fan of SU that he would do such a thing?

My son could have gone to Embry Riddle in Florida and I could have paid half of what I am paying for Syracuse, but the PRIDE factor alone makes up for having to pay more. After all, he did follow his sister to SU who will walk on May 9th. My wallet is empty but my heart is full. :)

Look, I'm not saying the kid would for sure walk on for a year or two over a scholarship offer at other schools. All I'm saying is his parents have money, the town that he is from is known for being filled with Syracuse fans due to its proximity, and his dad (who played basketball and is a great coach) is going to do whatever it takes to put his kid in the best situation he can. Sounds a lot more like a potential walk on than any other prospect you look at on this board.

My son could have gone to Embry Riddle in Florida and I could have paid half of what I am paying for Syracuse, but the PRIDE factor alone makes up for having to pay more. After all, he did follow his sister to SU who will walk on May 9th. My wallet is empty but my heart is full. :)

I like your way of thinking. Way too many people seem to be focused on the money, but there are so many other factors than just that. You never know what is most important to a recruit or his family, and a lot of times kids find schools that are just right for them for whatever reason. If Kevin makes the decision that Syracuse is the right school for him, then I'm sure the staff and his family would be able to pull some strings and make it work so that he could go there.

I like your way of thinking. Way too many people seem to be focused on the money, but there are so many other factors than just that. You never know what is most important to a recruit or his family, and a lot of times kids find schools that are just right for them for whatever reason. If Kevin makes the decision that Syracuse is the right school for him, then I'm sure the staff and his family would be able to pull some strings and make it work so that he could go there.

I like the cut of your jib OlsenRyan13

Nobody in the world would say either. It's "I played ball at (SCHOOL)" no matter what your status was.
Eh, I mean one of the first questions you will be asked is if you were a scholarship player. I play in college and that's the first thing most people ask about. Obviously he has potential to possibly be a scholarship guy, but you get so many more benefits being a scholarship player compared to a walk-on. I don't even know much about this kid, but I'm just being honest here, why would you turn down a full ride to play for John Beilein and instead walk-on at Syracuse. Bottom line, I can promise you he's not even considering that option when he has offers at programs that are right along the same line of Syracuse.

Eh, I mean one of the first questions you will be asked is if you were a scholarship player. I play in college and that's the first thing most people ask about. Obviously he has potential to possibly be a scholarship guy, but you get so many more benefits being a scholarship player compared to a walk-on. I don't even know much about this kid, but I'm just being honest here, why would you turn down a full ride to play for John Beilein and instead walk-on at Syracuse. Bottom line, I can promise you he's not even considering that option when he has offers at programs that are right along the same line of Syracuse.
Exactly. Even if Syracuse was his dream school.

Part of this is probably because he grew up close to me, but I want this guy in Orange. I know there are other guys with more potential, but he just strikes me as one of those shooters Notre Dame, Louisville, or Virginia will have that always kills us from deep. My hope is we sign Battle, get a schollie back and are able to offer this kid.

Part of this is probably because he grew up close to me, but I want this guy in Orange. I know there are other guys with more potential, but he just strikes me as one of those shooters Notre Dame, Louisville, or Virginia will have that always kills us from deep. My hope is we sign Battle, get a schollie back and are able to offer this kid.
Your hope and a lot of others. Notre Dame is strong competition for this kid. I really can't picture him going too far from this area to play unless it is a very special school. I think Notre Dame fits into the special school category. I thought Iowa and Fran McCaffrey did as well but then all of these other schools gave offers. The Huerters are a close family and are heavily involved with their kids sports. They have two younger daughters that are involved in sports as well as his brother Thomas who is graduating this year and will be playing somewhere next year. Both parents have full time jobs plus the father is the radio announcer for Siena (which I can't see him continuing once the kids are in school) plus he does occasional TV games on Time Warner. A school such as Syracuse would fit perfect into the families travel plans.

Olsen, tell the whole story. His dad played at Siena in the early 90's and went to the NCAA tournament with them. Heurter has grown up at Siena being a ball boy for years as his dad still does radio for them. If he's looking to stay with a local program he's a fan of he's going there.

But he's not. He's going to prep after graduating just like his brother is. His dad wants him to go to the highest level. He's not going to go to a sanctioned Syracuse program. Expect to see him at Michigan or a big Ten school. Him at Iowa to reconnect with McCaffery wouldn't shock me.

Heurter definitely wouldn't take a walk-on position at Syracuse when he has close to 20 scholarship offers now. He's not a good fit for Syracuse and Syracuse isn't a good fit for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom