Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

Olsen, tell the whole story. His dad played at Siena in the early 90's and went to the NCAA tournament with them. Heurter has grown up at Siena being a ball boy for years as his dad still does radio for them. If he's looking to stay with a local program he's a fan of he's going there.

But he's not. He's going to prep after graduating just like his brother is. His dad wants him to go to the highest level. He's not going to go to a sanctioned Syracuse program. Expect to see him at Michigan or a big Ten school. Him at Iowa to reconnect with McCaffery wouldn't shock me.

Heurter definitely wouldn't take a walk-on position at Syracuse when he has close to 20 scholarship offers now. He's not a good fit for Syracuse and Syracuse isn't a good fit for him.

...not sure what part of the story I left out. Gee let me think: looking to stay with a local program, dad wants him to go highest level, prep school candidate (which will push him back a year to when scholarships are most likely freed up), oh you're right, that definitely screams Iowa!!! Siena isn't good enough for him and dad wants to be involved, which he can be way more if his son is at Syracuse. Please do explain why he isn't a good fit for Syracuse because it certainly sounds to me like he is, certainly moreso than Michigan or another big ten school.

...not sure what part of the story I left out. Gee let me think: looking to stay with a local program, dad wants him to go highest level, prep school candidate (which will push him back a year to when scholarships are most likely freed up), oh you're right, that definitely screams Iowa!!! Siena isn't good enough for him and dad wants to be involved, which he can be way more if his son is at Syracuse. Please do explain why he isn't a good fit for Syracuse because it certainly sounds to me like he is, certainly moreso than Michigan or another big ten school.
o

Syracuse is gonna need to load up on one and done guys the next few years in order to compete. Heurter isn't a one and done guy. You're leaving the part about Syracuse being 2 hours away out. If he's looking to stay local like you say he's going to Siena. His dad has already made it clear that Siena isn't good enough and they want to go higher. He has offers from Michigan and Notre Dame, expect him to go to one of them not to a program that'll be under sanctions and going through a coaching change during his time here. Especially to be a walk-on like you suggest.

Lets see. The kid has 20 offers now from some great schools, ND, Mich, and will have more before he has to choose, and you're convinced he's going to walk on at a school under sanction. Makes zero sense.

Lets see. The kid has 20 offers now from some great schools, ND, Mich, and will have more before he has to choose, and you're convinced he's going to walk on at a school under sanction. Makes zero sense.

I never once said he was going to walk on, if you actually read anything I write I have said that he is a more likely candidate to walk on than any other recruit. While I realize that the odds of this are falling, I stand by my statement that I believe Syracuse is in a good spot to get him.

I never once said he was going to walk on, if you actually read anything I write I have said that he is a more likely candidate to walk on than any other recruit. While I realize that the odds of this are falling, I stand by my statement that I believe Syracuse is in a good spot to get him.
I think he ends up at ND. Perfect fit for him, and there are plenty of ND fans in the Albany area.

CDfan said:
o Syracuse is gonna need to load up on one and done guys the next few years in order to compete. Heurter isn't a one and done guy. You're leaving the part about Syracuse being 2 hours away out. If he's looking to stay local like you say he's going to Siena. His dad has already made it clear that Siena isn't good enough and they want to go higher. He has offers from Michigan and Notre Dame, expect him to go to one of them not to a program that'll be under sanctions and going through a coaching change during his time here. Especially to be a walk-on like you suggest.

I liked you a lot better back when you never posted.

You are correct about him being a walk on anywhere is unrealistic and frankly would be dumb for him to do. However, walking on a syracuse would be better than playing at Siena with a full ride - no question.

There is zero chance he walks on at Syracuse. If they offer him a full scholarship then he might go there. But if I was Syracuse I'd be going for a better player since Scholarships will be limited and if I'm him I'm not going to waste my 4 years hoping that the new coach can carry on Boeheim's success.

There is zero chance he walks on at Syracuse. If they offer him a full scholarship then he might go there. But if I was Syracuse I'd be going for a better player since Scholarships will be limited and if I'm him I'm not going to waste my 4 years hoping that the new coach can carry on Boeheim's success.

And you're assuming that better players than Huerter will waste their time on the new coach? If you're going to make an argument, at least let it make sense. Why would Syracuse go after better guys if you're assuming they won't even be able to land Hurter? You think Tyus Battle and Trevon Duval are going to come here if a 3 star recruit is saying "hey this Mike Hopkins guy isn't good enough, I'm going to go somewhere else." And then you expect him to go to Siena, who is barely a mid-major? At this point, you're right, his stock has risen too much to walk on- I'll give you that. But there is absolutely no way that Kevin Huerter is going to turn down an available scholarship offer from Mike Hopkins if guys of Tyus Battle's caliber are coming to Syracuse so he can go play at Siena.

I think he ends up at ND. Perfect fit for him, and there are plenty of ND fans in the Albany area.

ND would be a good fit; great school that plays a style he would fit into. I guess the point I was trying to make all along is that what Syracuse has to offer is a high-major program within commuting distance so his parents can go to games regularly. Whether that is the priority of the family remains to be seen but from my POV that is what makes me think Syracuse would be a good fit. You're right, ND and Mich would be great for him too, but my thought has always been that Syracuse fits a niche that no other school can for this kid (besides maybe UConn, but I haven't heard anything about them being interested), and if proximity to his family is a priority, then we should be a contender.

He bears a vague resemblance to Larry Bird. He also elicits the notion that he is the prototypical type of relatively unknown player to ends up haunting Syracuse by wreaking havoc when we play against him down the road.

The few things I've watched of him give me the impression that he oozes basketball and is team first with high basketball IQ. Seems like the type of kid that would be a plus for any program. That having been said, the thing that I'd be cautious about is that he doesn't fit into the mold of a BJ Johnson who like Kevin was young for his class, had the reputation of being a great shooter yet couldn't carve out a niche in the Syracuse program.

The amount of latitude the coaching staff has on hits and misses has been reduced as a result of the NCAA "gifting" to the program. As a result every scholarship needs to be allotted to kids who are going to contribute to the program in a significant fashion. Does a kid like Kevin Huerter fit into that mold? I can't say but he does represent an interesting prospect.

A couple of questions for all you experts . Did we offer TB without a clear scholarship available ,if we did can't we do the same for KH ? When would it become a problem ?A verbal commitment or the actual signing with out a position available.

:bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: I'm moving on from this thread guys.
This is only page two. Thomas Bryant got 76 pages. This thread ain't nowhere close to being over.

the villager said:
A couple of questions for all you experts . Did we offer TB without a clear scholarship available ,if we did can't we do the same for KH ? When would it become a problem ?A verbal commitment or the actual signing with out a position available.

They aren't going to offer this kid right now. This is the kid you offer after trevon duval decides to go elsewhere. And if he stays in 2016 he ain't ever getting an offer.

Until he doesn't live up to elevated expectations during his freshman year; then, it's under the bus with the rest of them.
The bus is served for those who seem to defy instruction by the coaches. Of course I know where you are coming from Frozen. We just got a Union Gap:rolling:

The bus is served for those who seem to defy instruction by the coaches. Of course I know where you are coming from Frozen. We just got a Union Gap:rolling:

No idea what any of this means.

If my son decided to do that, I would literally think about strangling him. I wouldn't, of course, but I would think about it.

It takes quite a bit of desire to give up a free ride for the chance at maybe having one further down the line. Don't forget the image factor. Which do you think would be cooler to say, "I got a full ride to play basketball at (insert university here)", or "I walked on at (insert university here)."

I'm a huge fan of SU, but even I would have to think twice about giving up a free ride. Do we even know he is that much of a fan of SU that he would do such a thing?
Isn't that what JB did? (Jim Brown too I think.)

His passing and shooting is exceptional but he lacks the ball handling to bring it up-court under pressure or drive to the basket in traffic.

AlaskaSU said:
His passing and shooting is exceptional but he lacks the ball handling to bring it up-court under pressure or drive to the basket in traffic.

Needs to play against real competition. I hope he does a prep year.

Wonder if he may remain a 2016 possibility if we get relief from the NCAA sanctions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom