Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

Very encouraging signs as far as our appeals go imo
I think I feel the opposite. They know there won't be anything available next year with Battle or whoever, paired with Moyer, so they're pushing him out a year. Maybe they feel they'll get relief at the back end?

I think I feel the opposite. They know there won't be anything available next year with Battle or whoever, paired with Moyer, so they're pushing him out a year. Maybe they feel they'll get relief at the back end?

He's like BJ. Young for his grade. He needs another year of physical development, so I would think he would be redshirting here. I think this kid is an elite shooter, so hopefully we can convince him this is in his best interest. He won't make his decision until the fall.

More likely IMO they feel 16 is going to be a 3/4 player class and 17 all ships are open again. I thing the NCAA takes the 3 from this year and only takes 2 more from us after that. That's 11 for next year and 13 for 17 or 12 for both. They are on the run.

Last edited:
Wow!

I like the move--both adding the kid, and encouraging the prep to push him out to the class of '17. Hope we add him--we need to continue adding players who can make shots. I'm tired of anemic offensive play.
It's definitely a great move. He was planning on a prep year until all these big time 2016 offers came along. Let's hope this works and he can be a part of a NC at the Cuse like another Suburban Council all star.

A lot of kids are going to prep schools these days. It might be possible that some offers are contingent on him spending the year at prep school to develop physically. That way he comes to college at 19 and can still possibly red shirt a year. Look at someone like BJ who neither red shirted nor went to prep school. He definitely could have benefitted from that extra year. Huerter could be someone similar.
I'm gonna bump my own thread. It's not so uncommon as some might think that offers are contingent on prep school first. Especially at high major level.

He's like BJ. Young for his grade. He needs another year of physical development, so I would think he would be redshirting here. I think this kid is an elite shooter, so hopefully we can convince him this is in his best interest. He won't make his decision until the fall.
I think Huerter's jump shot is far better than BJ's. I said it the first time I saw BJ play that I was just skeptical of how mechanical his shot was. Just too slow and couldn't get it consistent at an ACC level. I do not think this kid is as good as an athlete as BJ, but from what I have seen he seems to have a lot better playmaking ability compared to BJ. Huerter can really pass from his videos. But then again, he is not playing great competition. Send him to New Hampton for a year! Get him to play in the NEPSAC. But this kid is a FAR better shooter than BJ, IMO

I think Huerter's jump shot is far better than BJ's. I said it the first time I saw BJ play that I was just skeptical of how mechanical his shot was. Just too slow and couldn't get it consistent at an ACC level. I do not think this kid is as good as an athlete as BJ, but from what I have seen he seems to have a lot better playmaking ability compared to BJ. Huerter can really pass from his videos. But then again, he is not playing great competition. Send him to New Hampton for a year! Get him to play in the NEPSAC. But this kid is a FAR better shooter than BJ, IMO
His HS comp wasn't very good, but his game has translated well into AAU season. He has been the leading scorer for the Albany City Rock squad in EYBL play, where he's going up against nothing but 5 stars and numerous top 50 players. I gotta believe that he'll definitely be at a NEPSAC school next season. Question is whether it'll be for one year or two?

His HS comp wasn't very good, but his game has translated well into AAU season. He has been the leading scorer for the Albany City Rock squad in EYBL play, where he's going up against nothing but 5 stars and numerous top 50 players. I gotta believe that he'll definitely be at a NEPSAC school next season. Question is whether it'll be for one year or two?
So you think he blows off his senior season at Shen.

Yea I have been seeing the SYRACUSE basketball Twitter and every time he plays pretty solid. Him and Gilbert who I want oh so badly to come to cuse

I don't see any reason why he would go back there if he wants to prepare himself fully for high D1 ball. Plus he's coming off a state chip at Shen and doesn't have much to prove while facing mostly lousy comp.
I am not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but he sounds alot like Lydon, in that he is a very lean kid, yet highly skilled and just need a little extra time to fill out and develop his skills before getting to college.

I am not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but he sounds alot like Lydon, in that he is a very lean kid, yet highly skilled and just need a little extra time to fill out and develop his skills before getting to college.
I agree that Lydon needs some bulking up which I would think he is already trying to do before next season beginsAt this pint ,I imagine that all the players returning or coming into the program are doing their best to get themselves ready. That includes the beaten up Kaleb Joseph. He could be that unexpected big surprise come the season.

I agree that Lydon needs some bulking up which I would think he is already trying to do before next season beginsAt this pint ,I imagine that all the players returning or coming into the program are doing their best to get themselves ready. That includes the beaten up Kaleb Joseph. He could be that unexpected big surprise come the season.
This coming from the guy who said he may be the biggest disappointment in SU history?

Don't think this indicates anything re: possible restoration of scholarships. If there is a 3rd opening for '16, the target would likely be a big, not another guard.

This coming from the guy who said he may be the biggest disappointment in SU history?

In terms of how he actually performed on the floor, both offensively and defensively, with the minutes he was given and the hype coming in; I actually think it's not that far-fetched a statement.

He's a lottery ticket. A guy nobody heard of and very under-recruited you hope develops and you get lucky. If we had a full complement of ships, he's the type of developmental kid you can take a chance on. But if we only have 10 it's hard to take a kid who may not contribute much for a couple years.

Finally just got a chance to watch his '15 highlights, and I like what I see. Others have made the comparison to Rautins, but I'd qualify that by saying he's similar to Rautins, but he looks to be a much better all around athlete at the same stage. Even by his senior year, Rautins was a 6-5 guard who could shoot jumpers and pass the ball. Huerter is a 6-5 guard who can shoot and pass, but he's also shown the ability to get into the lane and finish with either hand. He's a better all around scorer than Rautins - and I say this as one of the biggest Rautins fans around.

Sign him up for '17. Love to see this kid in Orange. Savvy, well rounded offensive game, and highly skilled. Yes, please.

His passing and shooting is exceptional but he lacks the ball handling to bring it up-court under pressure or drive to the basket in traffic.
Ball handling due to his big growth spurt is going through a little readjustment but he can handle the rock just fine. When he is in rhythm think GMAC ist half against Kansas.

Matthew Moyer @matthewmoyer13 · May 15

This dude @KevinHuerter is going to hate me by the end of the month
1f602.png
1f605.png
1f61d.png
1f634.png

How did his handle look/hold up? How was he used in AAU spot up shooter or was he more involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom