Class of 2016 - G Spike Albrecht Michigan Transfer to Purdue | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Spike Albrecht Michigan Transfer to Purdue

wonder if he/doctors can assure he's now healthy - would think our staff wouldn't take the chance otherwise.
(obviously nothing can be guaranteed with health/injuries but with this kid's recent history, you gotta get some kind of Doctor's sign-off or something)

wonder if he/doctors can assure he's now healthy - would think our staff wouldn't take the chance otherwise.
(obviously nothing can be guaranteed with health/injuries but with this kid's recent history, you gotta get some kind of Doctor's sign-off or something)

Agreed. Not really a fan of this route at all. Not sure how it helps us.

When I was in Houston for the F4, I got to hang out with one of my best friends from college who lives there. Said friend is from Michigan originally, and huge U of M supporter / booster. Spike Albrecht actually came up in discussion--not because he was a transfer candidate or even on SU's radar at the time, but rather because I was curious about all of the wacky news stories about him having his scholarship removed by Beilien, etc.

My friend's take [as a U of M fan] was that Albrecht suffered the hip injury that required surgery, and never recovered last year. Played on one leg and forced to overcompensate, which caused him to injure his other leg. Spike apparently told the coaches that he was going to hang them up because he couldn't recover physically, so the staff went out and recruited over him. Then, after the season Albrecht changed his mind and wanted to come back. Well, now the scholarship had been used, and the staff was in a bind. So Spike is looking to transfer to exploit the 5th year transfer option.

My friend's take is that Spike might be washed up physically. And he feels bad about how things worked out, because Albrecht is kind of a folk hero amongst their fanbase for how he performed in the 2013 final four run. He thinks that the staff probably shouldn't have recruited over him, but by the same token Albrecht told them that he wouldn't be coming back, so he doesn't blame the coaches for moving forward.

He thinks it is smart for Albrecht to take this approach, if for no other reason than to get grad school paid for. Why not? But he isn't sure how much the kid has left in the tank.

Now, please keep in mind that my friend--while a knowledgeable sports fan who is heavily plugged into U of M and follows it religiously the same way we do SU sports--was only expressing his opinion, based upon the information he knows. None of the above definitely implies that Albrecht really is washed up physically, that he can't recover, etc. I just pass the info along at face value.

When I was in Houston for the F4, I got to hang out with one of my best friends from college who lives there. Said friend is from Michigan originally, and huge U of M supporter / booster. Spike Albrecht actually came up in discussion--not because he was a transfer candidate or even on SU's radar at the time, but rather because I was curious about all of the wacky news stories about him having his scholarship removed by Beilien, etc.

My friend's take [as a U of M fan] was that Albrecht suffered the hip injury that required surgery, and never recovered last year. Played on one leg and forced to overcompensate, which caused him to injure his other leg. Spike apparently told the coaches that he was going to hang them up because he couldn't recover physically, so the staff went out and recruited over him. Then, after the season Albrecht changed his mind and wanted to come back. Well, now the scholarship had been used, and the staff was in a bind. So Spike is looking to transfer to exploit the 5th year transfer option.

My friend's take is that Spike might be washed up physically. And he feels bad about how things worked out, because Albrecht is kind of a folk hero amongst their fanbase for how he performed in the 2013 final four run. He thinks that the staff probably shouldn't have recruited over him, but by the same token Albrecht told them that he wouldn't be coming back, so he doesn't blame the coaches for moving forward.

He thinks it is smart for Albrecht to take this approach, if for no other reason than to get grad school paid for. Why not? But he isn't sure how much the kid has left in the tank.

Now, please keep in mind that my friend--while a knowledgeable sports fan who is heavily plugged into U of M and follows it religiously the same way we do SU sports--was only expressing his opinion, based upon the information he knows. None of the above definitely implies that Albrecht really is washed up physically, that he can't recover, etc. I just pass the info along at face value.
thanks for sharing... again, I just don't think the staff would burn a 'ship on him if they don't have at least some kind of fairly-solid assurance that he's good to go... but who knows, maybe they think even if he's damaged goods he'd still provide a few solid veteran minutes per game at the point :noidea:

After reading that, I expect Spike to be like that old guy that would come to the park to play, and he was three steps slower than everyone, turning the ball over every play, but telling everybody where they should be and what to do.

In an article posted within the last 10 days, Spike himself said he doesn't know if he'll be able to play next season. I can't imagine any possibility of him playing meaningful minutes for us in anything other than a catastrophe situation.

In an article posted within the last 10 days, Spike himself said he doesn't know if he'll be able to play next season. I can't imagine any possibility of him playing meaningful minutes for us in anything other than a catastrophe situation.

Oh wow - I missed that one where he said that. Dang if only this was wheelchair basketball and I'd be all over wanting to get Spike! - As I have mentioned before, I'm in a wheelchair so I'm allowed to make those jokes. :)

Not sure why people are concerned. Albrecht is insurance in case Gillon decides to go elsewhere. There is no risk whatsoever in handing him a scholly for one year. On the chance that he makes a full recovery between now and November, we'll have ourselves a long-range assassin coming off the bench.

I see it as a no-risk / high-reward situation.

Not sure why people are concerned. Albrecht is insurance in case Gillon decides to go elsewhere. There is no risk whatsoever in handing him a scholly for one year. On the chance that he makes a full recovery between now and November, we'll have ourselves a long-range assassin coming off the bench.

I see it as a no-risk / high-reward situation.
The concern is we need a 3rd guard, and the prospect of a guy who may be washed-up filling that role is scary. We can't really roll the dice on a guy we need mins out of.

The concern is we need a 3rd guard, and the prospect of a guy who may be washed-up filling that role is scary. We can't really roll the dice on a guy we need mins out of.
I'd say the odds that both Malachi remains in the draft and Gillon decides to go elsewhere are pretty slim. If that happens then the remaining options are non-existent. So you (a) use that scholarship on a one-year Albrecht as some fans whine or (b) let it rot. I would expect the staff to choose (a).

Hindsight of course is 20-20, but I wonder if our coaches regret advising that Kevin Huerter go to prep for a year and that they would have a schollie for him in 2017? If Mali does leave, and Gillon does decide to go to A&M or OU instead, we'd appear to be in quite a precarious spot. And, imo, one that a program of our stature really shouldn't ever be in.

Hindsight of course is 20-20, but I wonder if our coaches regret advising that Kevin Huerter go to prep for a year and that they would have a schollie for him in 2017? If Mali does leave, and Gillon does decide to go to A&M or OU instead, we'd appear to be in quite a precarious spot. And, imo, one that a program of our stature really shouldn't ever be in.

This is certainly an example of a problem that was clearly caused by the scholarship reduction. I don't know how much I can blame the coaches for not being able to see the future well enough, but Kevin Huerter would help solve many of the programs issues at the moment.

with Gillon committing, is Spike still visiting? Would have to think we wouldn't offer him now...

with Gillon committing, is Spike still visiting? Would have to think we wouldn't offer him now...
Why not? If hes the 4th or 5th guard option, I say we sign him up.

I think we'd be smart to keep our options open. However, I definitely wouldn't offer him a scholly unless Mali leaves.

Ehhh why not still grab him? Have two schollys left and only one target in Thompson. At worst he could help APR and he doesn't take up a 2017 scholly.

Ehhh why not still grab him? Have two schollys left and only one target in Thompson. At worst he could help APR and he doesn't take up a 2017 scholly.

Agreed.

Jake said:
Spike is not visiting. My understanding is that it was cancelled prior to Gillons commitment...making his commitment even more crucial.

It's crucial because, well...

Spike is not visiting. My understanding is that it was cancelled prior to Gillons commitment...making his commitment even more crucial.
right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom