Game #2, Year #1 | Syracusefan.com

Game #2, Year #1

Fjoinkay

Starter
It's only one game. These kids are playing in a new system on both sides of the ball.

Lamar Jackson is outstanding, perhaps even beyond outstanding. He throws a tight spiral a country mile without effort, so much so that his receivers sometimes struggle to catch his ball because it's on them so quick. And LJ runs the ball with tremendous speed, some power and impressive vision. The SU defense playing in its second game in a new system was very slow to respond early against an elite QB, and I think that is to be expected.

SU made several plays on both sides of the ball which is encouraging, and the offense will continue to score points. Many on here posted heading into this season that SU needs to score a lot of points to win 6, and it's true. I just hope Dungey stays on his feet (doesn't jump), although I think Mahoney is a capable backup. A healthy Dungey is really important. Surely the football gods will spare SU yet another season where the #3, the #4 and even the #5 QB ends up being a starter.

Learn from it, flush it, onward. Go Cuse!!

Scratching my head but going into the 4th qtr we were only down 14 or what 17? We were also only down 14 at the half? We did get stopped in the red zone in the 2nd qtr on a long drive that left on the field either 3 or 7 points.

i don't know what happened in the 4th qtr. On the sideline both the staff and players had their hands up with 4 fingers at the start of the 4th. You could see the staff and players were excited and feeling a potential upset but then we imploded. I don't know what happened but our players just lost their edge...those turnovers were daggers and our defense mentally broke down.

I could also see Dungey upset with his receivers at times. They stopped numerous times breaking their route running. On defense, lapses in the secondary left players way too open. This is where I agree with the OP, game #2, year #1. A lot of mistakes were made but a lot of great things happened on the field too.

This game told us what we already knew about the talent gap. Even though it's game #3, year #1, USF is a truer test between where we were last year and what we are this year.

Next.

Scratching my head but going into the 4th qtr we were only down 14 or what 17? We were also only down 14 at the half? We did get stopped in the red zone in the 2nd qtr on a long drive that left on the field either 3 or 7 points.

i don't know what happened in the 4th qtr. On the sideline both the staff and players had their hands up with 4 fingers at the start of the 4th. You could see the staff and players were excited and feeling a potential upset but then we imploded. I don't know what happened but our players just lost their edge...those turnovers were daggers and our defense mentally broke down.

I could also see Dungey upset with his receivers at times. They stopped numerous times breaking their route running. On defense, lapses in the secondary left players way too open. This is where I agree with the OP, game #2, year #1. A lot of mistakes were made but a lot of great things happened on the field too.

This game told us what we already knew about the talent gap. Even though it's game #3, year #1, USF is a truer test between where we were last year and what we are this year.

Next.

Yeah, I think Dungey's reaction showed that the O is still learning (making mistakes along the way), which is to be expected at this point on O and for that matter on D.

I'm willing to discount the beginning of the game due to the fact that these kids had never faced an FBS O while playing in this Tampa 2 system, let alone a Bobby Petrino O with a shining star at QB. I'm even willing and able to discount UL's late run of big plays because I believe the mistakes in reads against the run will be cleaned up. I always expected this D to give up chunks by its very nature. I hope they can develop a strong red zone identity.

Next week will be a fun matchup. SU struggled last season in the heavy SF humidity. Let's hope they can turn the tables this season in the Dome.

chakka3421 said:
Scratching my head but going into the 4th qtr we were only down 14 or what 17? We were also only down 14 at the half? We did get stopped in the red zone in the 2nd qtr on a long drive that left on the field either 3 or 7 points. i don't know what happened in the 4th qtr. On the sideline both the staff and players had their hands up with 4 fingers at the start of the 4th. You could see the staff and players were excited and feeling a potential upset but then we imploded. I don't know what happened but our players just lost their edge...those turnovers were daggers and our defense mentally broke down. I could also see Dungey upset with his receivers at times. They stopped numerous times breaking their route running. On defense, lapses in the secondary left players way too open. This is where I agree with the OP, game #2, year #1. A lot of mistakes were made but a lot of great things happened on the field too. This game told us what we already knew about the talent gap. Even though it's game #3, year #1, USF is a truer test between where we were last year and what we are this year. Next.

Yep. In my mind the game ended on the FG in the 4th to put them up 17. I think that's when it ended for the players too.

45-28 is a much different score.

Next.
Agree with this comment. The next two games are really important if we want to see a bowl game this year. Winning vs Louisville in year one game two was a pipe dream and we were only down two scores in the second half. Perspective everyone.

Through 2 games, we're averaging our highest ypg since 2012. That # is going to increase.

This offense will be more productive than the one season we look fondly upon since 1998. In year 1. With a very large portion of the production coming from underclassmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom