Game flow never went our way | Syracusefan.com

Game flow never went our way

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Ridiculously frustrating game. Never a rhythm. Fouls every play.

Lydon rolling his ankle and having foul trouble killed us.

PG play didn't help, and too many lapses early on inside.

Entire game just so frustrating. I wasn't impressed at all with VT.

Typical Buzz team. Ugly games always even when we beat him.

Can't win without solid guard play, period! Gillon, specifically, was for the most part, MIA. Along with Lydon being in "La La Land" tonight...well, game over! Combined with poor defense, Tech, got a ton of open looks and easy baskets for the majority of the game. Whenever we made it interesting, we couldn't get a stop to save our lives. :(

This was a flashback to a month ago. Gillon struggled so bad it is almost unbelievable. Not initiating the offense, down 10 with 4 minutes to go and for all the world it looks like he is killing clock, dribbling while backing up towards half court in the middle of a set, etc. Absolutely unexplainable to me. Frank looked fairly good first half and in the second half looked like he found out his dog died during halftime.

Really the whole team seemed lethargic and disinterested from the opening tip.

VaTech was smart in attacking JB's zone. Buzz knows what he is doing.

So little from Lydon; and White bottled up in the second half = a loss. Guard play did not help, but we aren't going to win any games if Lydon has 2 points.

I only saw the second half. Frank is awful.

He really is. When analyst Dino G mentioned that Howard was our guard of the future as he's only a sophomore...well, this was me. :vomit:

don't quote me but i thought i heard someone say this was our first loss to the hokies since 1978?

All things considered, it was a minor miracle they were within 6 with 90 seconds to go. They hung in and battled all the way, and that bodes well for some nice wins ahead.

All things considered, it was a minor miracle they were within 6 with 90 seconds to go. They hung in and battled all the way, and that bodes well for some nice wins ahead.
Yeah but we gotta keep that bench short. Never seen a team look so lost than when we go frank, Robey, Thompson, White and battle.

Effort is not the problem. We had too many turnovers, and too many fouls and let them score to much and Gillon and Lydon both were flat. Stop with this effort nonsense. Before our eyes is proof that you can play hard and dumb at the same time.

Yeah but we gotta keep that bench short. Never seen a team look so lost than when we go frank, Robey, Thompson, White and battle.
Well you can't have multiple key guys laying eggs, and you can't be forced to play Thompson for extended minutes at the 5.

Yea! ;)

Well you can't have multiple key guys laying eggs, and you can't be forced to play Thompson for extended minutes at the 5.
Agreed. JB just has to play the guys 40 min. Let them play or bomb. No more than 6!

don't quote me but i thought i heard someone say this was our first loss to the hokies since 1978?

We beat them in 1976
Lost in 1978.

Didn't play again until 2000.

1-0 in BE play

4-1 in the ACC.

"they hung in and battled" I guess that is all we are looking for at this point.

He's right Frank actually looked pretty good in the first... certainly better than Gillon it was my happiness peak of the game that he decided to play hard and not sulk, thining he could our 0.5 guard. He had a couple garbage plays in the second half and the party was over.

He's right Frank actually looked pretty good in the first... certainly better than Gillon it was my happiness peak of the game that he decided to play hard and not sulk, thining he could our 0.5 guard. He had a couple garbage plays in the second half and the party was over.
I don't even mind a bad play here and there, but it looks like he can barely dribble and make the simplest pass.

"they hung in and battled" I guess that is all we are looking for at this point.
I didn't say it's all we should be looking for, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

I don't even mind a bad play here and there, but it looks like he can barely dribble and make the simplest pass.

You could see on his face once he made a couple bad plays in the second half... with one good shot that was a total brick then a second bad shot that was a total brick he definitely looked like his dog died or Mikey in Rounders being being berated by KGB in Rounders.

Well .. this was real, and Matt Damon isn't a great actor but that's what I thought of.

He actually looked okay when he first checked in, maybe for 4 minutes. At some point he decided to become Frank again though and reverted to his true form of playing like he has a basketball IQ of -12.

I know, what the hell is with his dribbling? Even without pressure he seems to have trouble controlling the ball - most people I play ball with that can barely dribble don't lose the ball that easily undefended. If he he's not going straight line, he struggles. He's not losing it completely, but just mishandling. It's ridiculous. I would expect more from a HS kid.

Loved that pass in the second half where he just soft-tossed it to Battle's shoulder from three feet away. Then he figured he would start shooting. Kid is an Einstein on the court.

Ridiculously frustrating game. Never a rhythm. Fouls every play.

Lydon rolling his ankle and having foul trouble killed us.

PG play didn't help, and too many lapses early on inside.

Entire game just so frustrating. I wasn't impressed at all with VT.
We had plenty of opportunities to seize momentum. We'd chip into the lead and then have defensive breakdowns. Never got into a rhythm on offense. But the biggest takeaway is that Lydon needs to be 100% healthy playing the 5 exclusively or this team suffers tremendously on both ends because of the ripple effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom