Game flow never went our way | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game flow never went our way

We had plenty of opportunities to seize momentum. We'd chip into the lead and then have defensive breakdowns. Never got into a rhythm on offense. But the biggest takeaway is that Lydon needs to be 100% healthy playing the 5 exclusively or this team suffers tremendously on both ends because of the ripple effects.
You hadn't figured out that this team needs a healthy Lydon before tonight?

Typical Buzz team. Ugly games always even when we beat him.
This VT team resembles Buzz' Marquette teams in style of play. He's hatching another Marquette. Needs more talent but it's the same blueprint.

I know, what the hell is with his dribbling? Even without pressure he seems to have trouble controlling the ball - most people I play ball with that can barely dribble don't lose the ball that easily undefended. If he he's not going straight line, he struggles. He's not losing it completely, but just mishandling. It's ridiculous. I would expect more from a HS kid.

Loved that pass in the second half where he just soft-tossed it to Battle's shoulder from three feet away. Then he figured he would start shooting. Kid is an Einstein on the court.
Yeah the battle pass was what I was referring to...and one into the post

You could see on his face once he made a couple bad plays in the second half... with one good shot that was a total brick then a second bad shot that was a total brick he definitely looked like his dog died or Mikey in Rounders being being berated by KGB in Rounders.

Well .. this was real, and Matt Damon isn't a great actor but that's what I thought of.
Rounders references always work...

This was a flashback to a month ago. Gillon struggled so bad it is almost unbelievable. Not initiating the offense, down 10 with 4 minutes to go and for all the world it looks like he is killing clock, dribbling while backing up towards half court in the middle of a set, etc. Absolutely unexplainable to me. Frank looked fairly good first half and in the second half looked like he found out his dog died during halftime.

Really the whole team seemed lethargic and disinterested from the opening tip.

This. The ONE time Gillon actually attacked that VT pressure (not even that good) it resulted in a layup or something good...can't remember. Why can't this happen more? What's the deal? Howard never was and never will be a PG so he is void imo, but, why is it so hard for SU to just be serviceable from the PG as as of late?

This. The ONE time Gillon actually attacked that VT pressure (not even that good) it resulted in a layup or something good...can't remember. Why can't this happen more? What's the deal? Howard never was and never will be a PG so he is void imo, but, why is it so hard for SU to just be serviceable from the PG as as of late?

It's maddening how long it takes Gillon and Howard to initiate the offense. After passing it back and forth w/ Battle to break the press and then pounding the court for 10 seconds just for the hell of it, we were often left scrambling to run anything to get a shot w/ very little time on the shot clock, which inevitable led to bad shots. Brutal offensive bball and really unacceptable at this level imo.

It's maddening how long it takes Gillon and Howard to initiate the offense. After passing it back and forth w/ Battle to break the press and then pounding the court for 10 seconds just for the hell of it, we were often left scrambling to run anything to get a shot w/ very little time on the shot clock, which inevitable led to bad shots. Brutal offensive bball and really unacceptable at this level imo.

It is unacceptable. I haven't seen this anywhere else, frankly. Aren't the coaches in game telling them to "Go!" "Move forward." "Drive." What is the problem? I mean, seriously.

All things considered, it was a minor miracle they were within 6 with 90 seconds to go. They hung in and battled all the way, and that bodes well for some nice wins ahead.
I agree - Lydon was horrendous and tweaking his injury on the worst shot selection since Mookie didn't help, and when he is bad we aren't winning even with college level guard play. The fact that we were in it was encouraging to me. On the road, against a team needing a win, playing what would generously be described as our C level game - we didn't pack up lunch.

JB was stuck in the 2nd half when Gillon was so bad. I think he stuck with Frank a few too many trips around the 8 minute TO and we never recovered. Bad Gillon is better than any Frank as of today. Tomorrow - time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom