Game of A Thrones Season 5 | Syracusefan.com

Game of A Thrones Season 5

NKR1978

Living Legend
Thought I'd get the discussion started since we're now less than two weeks away from Season 5.

As a book reader I'm psyched that GOT is veering off from the books. Honestly cannot wait to be shocked by what happens on screen, though I know a lot of people who are upset by it.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the Manderly's have not been cast. The scene with Davos at White Harbor is one of my favorite of Book 5 and am disappointed that it might not make the series at all, though I suppose House Manderly could be replaced by House Umber.

Just excited to get the season started.

Doh! This reminds me I have to add HBO to my cable for the next couple of months.

Thought I'd get the discussion started since we're now less than two weeks away from Season 5.

As a book reader I'm psyched that GOT is veering off from the books. Honestly cannot wait to be shocked by what happens on screen, though I know a lot of people who are upset by it.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the Manderly's have not been cast. The scene with Davos at White Harbor is one of my favorite of Book 5 and am disappointed that it might not make the series at all, though I suppose House Manderly could be replaced by House Umber.

Just excited to get the season started.
We won't know what's a spoiler and what's made up -- past ADWD, at least. Really excited for tonight.

Unfortunately I've lost most interest. Season 4 was generally quite good, but then: cutting the Jaime / Tyrion dialogue (what a shocker in the key exchange after Tywin gets bolted!) in favor of "smash the beetles"... really?

Now we hear there's no Arianne, possibly no fA, LSH seems unlikely and the ridiculous sand snakes (I can't even bring myself to capitalize their moniker) get center stage? So much of GRRM's great storyline appears to be lost going forward. Oh, but at least Oreo Potash got cast... [resigned sigh].

Bah.

MCC said:
Unfortunately I've lost most interest. Season 4 was generally quite good, but then: cutting the Jaime / Tyrion dialogue (what a shocker in the key exchange after Tywin gets bolted!) in favor of "smash the beetles"... really? Now we hear there's no Arianne, possibly no fA, LSH seems unlikely and the ridiculous sand snakes (I can't even bring myself to capitalize their moniker) get center stage? So much of GRRM's great storyline appears to be lost going forward. Oh, but at least Oreo Potash got cast... [resigned sigh]. Bah.

The first four episodes leaked online lastnight and i binge watched them.
Its beyond the point of even comparing the stories of the books to the show now. Definitely inspired by, but not an adaptation of.
And yes the sand snakes are absurd in both iterations...

The first four episodes leaked online lastnight and i binge watched them.
Its beyond the point of even comparing the stories of the books to the show now. Definitely inspired by, but not an adaptation of.
And yes the sand snakes are absurd in both iterations...
Sand snakes... I can't even say it with a straight face. Imagine if book-version Vargo Hoat had to deal with them: "Thoth thand thnakth! I can't thtand them!"

Crazy that the new x265 encodes are so small. Itty bitty 100mb files for HD; 720p fits in around 150mb.

Last edited:
I thought it was good, but not great. Still better than most thing on TV, don't get me wrong. It is nice to have something to look forward to on Sunday nights again.

E: I was totally expecting Dany to find the other two dragons dead from starvation. Or that one had killed the other for food.

I thought it was good, but not great. Still better than most thing on TV, don't get me wrong. It is nice to have something to look forward to on Sunday nights again.

E: I was totally expecting Dany to find the other two dragons dead from starvation. Or that one had killed the other for food.

The first episode of the season is never that great. They always seem to try to catch you up with all the stories and I think of the first two episodes as the premier because by the end of episode 2, you're all caught up.

Love seeing Darth Sansa. Hers is one of my favorite character arcs in the books and I can't wait to see where she goes.

The Tyrells are a bit more dysfunctional than I thought.

Excited to check in on Arya and the Boltons next week.

The first episode of the season is never that great. They always seem to try to catch you up with all the stories and I think of the first two episodes as the premier because by the end of episode 2, you're all caught up.

Love seeing Darth Sansa. Hers is one of my favorite character arcs in the books and I can't wait to see where she goes.

The Tyrells are a bit more dysfunctional than I thought.

Excited to check in on Arya and the Boltons next week.

The dude who plays Ramsay steals every scene he is. Best villain on TV.

It was slow but still very good. Love what Natalie Dorner has done with Margaery. And did Lancel dye his hair in addition to getting it cut?

Definitely still an adaptation. Inspired by is more like Frozen being inspired by the story The Ice Queen

Unfortunately I've lost most interest. Season 4 was generally quite good, but then: cutting the Jaime / Tyrion dialogue (what a shocker in the key exchange after Tywin gets bolted!) in favor of "smash the beetles"... really?

Now we hear there's no Arianne, possibly no fA, LSH seems unlikely and the ridiculous sand snakes (I can't even bring myself to capitalize their moniker) get center stage? So much of GRRM's great storyline appears to be lost going forward. Oh, but at least Oreo Potash got cast... [resigned sigh].

Bah.
I don't get the departures from books or why GRRm would want it. I wish both had more backstory. I've totally lost interest in the tyrion story in the books. Love arya now. Love the rise of the third dragon (or so we think). There is literally so much going on I cannot remember it all. Hope stone heart shows up.

I don't get the departures from books or why GRRm would want it. I wish both had more backstory. I've totally lost interest in the tyrion story in the books. Love arya now. Love the rise of the third dragon (or so we think). There is literally so much going on I cannot remember it all. Hope stone heart shows up.

Funny how different people like different things. For me Tyrion is the story and I think Stoneheart is the worst character in the entire series, lol.

I do love the upcoming Arya storyline however.

Reactions: MCC
Funny how different people like different things. For me Tyrion is the story and I think Stoneheart is the worst character in the entire series, lol.

Concur. Tyrion's story is the most compelling of the POV characters. Jaime's may be the most entertaining - he's a comedian in a white cloak. Arya's is the most intriguing. Daenarys merits attention mostly because she is a magnet for all sorts of interesting characters, while Jon simply hasn't turned the corner yet (his book arc is likely at an inflection however).

Catelyn / LSH is easily, inarguably, insufferably and interminably the worst in the history of ever. I'd like for her to be roasted by dragons but it's taking so darn long for Dany to get to Westeros that I'll take just about anything at this point - like Wile E. Coyote showing up with dynamite. Whatever it takes...

Tyrion was my favorite. But I found the passage to mereen unbearable. Generally I've found Sansa, Stannis/red lady/ironborn/cersei stories to be the most boring. Now I find Jamie/dany like that too. I wish they did more with the lord that gave LSH her life. At least LSH is taking names.

Concur. Tyrion's story is the most compelling of the POV characters. Jaime's may be the most entertaining - he's a comedian in a white cloak. Arya's is the most intriguing. Daenarys merits attention mostly because she is a magnet for all sorts of interesting characters, while Jon simply hasn't turned the corner yet (his book arc is likely at an inflection however).

Catelyn / LSH is easily, inarguably, insufferably and interminably the worst in the history of ever. I'd like for her to be roasted by dragons but it's taking so darn long for Dany to get to Westeros that I'll take just about anything at this point - like Wile E. Coyote showing up with dynamite. Whatever it takes...
I find Jon the most compelling now through book 5. He's clearly a dragon.

AZOrange said:
Tyrion was my favorite. But I found the passage to mereen unbearable. Generally I've found Sansa, Stannis/red lady/ironborn/cersei stories to be the most boring. Now I find Jamie/dany like that too. I wish they did more with the lord that gave LSH her life. At least LSH is taking names.

I love the Sansa and Stannis chapters. Those along with the Theon/Bolton stories are my favorite.

Jamie is the one I have changed opinion on. Early in the book series I could not stand him but as his story has gone on he has become my second favorite character/storyline.

Yeah, I'm going to bail on this thread, seems like it is turning into a spoiler fest. Damn you book folk.

Yeah, I'm going to bail on this thread, seems like it is turning into a spoiler fest. Damn you book folk.

This season's first episode was a pretty clear indicator that they have moved away from the books and are doing their own thing.

CuseCPT said:
I apologize. I don't think I really have much away though. The Jon story has been there since book 1.

NKR1978 said:
I love the Sansa and Stannis chapters. Those along with the Theon/Bolton stories are my favorite.
as Guinness said that's why it's so great. Everyone sees it different.

As somebody who just binge watched the first 4 seasons am I suppose to be hating Daenerys as much as I am now? Like I respect Darth Sansa Stark after all the crap she went thru with Goffrey and her family, but Dany turning bad is pissing me off.