Game thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game thread

I wonder who they will have calling the games? Maybe Fraschilla?

I wonder who they will have calling the games? Maybe Fraschilla?
Fraschilla is in Toronto calling the Pan-Am Games. I would bet it be commentators provided by the TBT.

Alsacs said:
Fraschilla is in Toronto calling the Pan-Am Games. I would bet it be commentators provided by the TBT.

Dan dakitch (sp?)

Typical Syracuse game! Infuriating to watch with unforced turnovers and terrible officiating. How many times was there a pick and roll where our roller was wide open, only to be negated by 1) an awful pass or 2) a defender clutching and grabbing with no call? I thought Hakim was going to punch one of the zebras tonight.

I must say - this has been a pleasant surprise and has made this summer much more manageable sports-wise. I am a Yankees fan so it's been OK, but there's nothing quite like some Syracuse basketball to whet the palate heading into the college seasons.

Question: Anyone know what the deal is with Donte Greene? Is he going to play in this thing or what? As a poster above said, I feel like with him our team would be the odds-on favorite. Between Warrick, Jackson, Keita and Roberts, we have a ridiculous front line compared to the opposing teams. Nichols has been great, and Deane is my new favorite "Syracuse" player. Devendorf is what he is. But Greene would be the piece that pushes us over the top.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. Will be great to be on "national" TV - hope the guys are ready to perform.

Typical Syracuse game! Infuriating to watch with unforced turnovers and terrible officiating. How many times was there a pick and roll where our roller was wide open, only to be negated by 1) an awful pass or 2) a defender clutching and grabbing with no call? I thought Hakim was going to punch one of the zebras tonight.

I must say - this has been a pleasant surprise and has made this summer much more manageable sports-wise. I am a Yankees fan so it's been OK, but there's nothing quite like some Syracuse basketball to whet the palate heading into the college seasons.

Question: Anyone know what the deal is with Donte Greene? Is he going to play in this thing or what? As a poster above said, I feel like with him our team would be the odds-on favorite. Between Warrick, Jackson, Keita and Roberts, we have a ridiculous front line compared to the opposing teams. Nichols has been great, and Deane is my new favorite "Syracuse" player. Devendorf is what he is. But Greene would be the piece that pushes us over the top.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. Will be great to be on "national" TV - hope the guys are ready to perform.
I think donte is/was in China for a tryout and hasn't been able to play yet. Jackson missed last week for a tryout. If we're around after this weekend he might be there.

We can use Donte. Nichols did not look sharp.

We can use Donte. Nichols did not look sharp.

He was the difference maker last weekend though. He'll be fine tomorrow.

Player Evaluations for those that missed the game.

Keita has extended his offensive range and improved his dribble. He is getting better. Still has bad hands.
Devo is playing like the Devo of old, aggressive, more than adequate outside shot and with his quickness he gets to the rim better than anyone else and with his ambidexterity he finishes better than any other guard. Underestimate him at your own peril. He was our leading scorer. However, as usual, he does not value the ball. I guess that it goes with his all out style.
the Eraser came in cold but soon settled in. Missed his first shot but then started hitting like clockwork. Makes good decisions. does not force shots. Impressive. Has the best hands of any big on the court. Snared several rebounds by tapping the ball to himself that no one else could have corralled.
Nichols had an off night. Some shots were in and out. He was active but almost shot us out of the game.
Mookie, poor Mookie, he can hit the three but no one gives him a chance to see what he could do over time.
Hak, still an athletic freak. He can turn a mid-range shot into a dunk like no one else. The offense needs to go through him but he also forces some shots when he should pass. NBA habits.
Roberts, with rested knees he is a rebounding freak but his offense is, as always, erratic. One play is a smooth drive with the force of a speeding locomotive and the next its back to spaz boy with a rushed shot or a panicked wild pass. Needs to take a chill pill.
Dean has been great and sorely needed as we are thin at point guard.
Would love to see funky Josh Pace coming off the bench for instant offense as needed, and Donte as he would open things up as an outside threat.
Even if they win it all, its only about 100k each, but it gives them a chance to be on display which is especially important for players like Devo coming back after an injury.
Overall,our D was sketchy, not typical of a Cuse team. We need to pick it up on D by extending the zone when an outside shooter gets hot. Poetry needs to make in game defensive adjustments.

Last edited:
Will they replay the game
All the games are archived online. Just go to the TBT website, click on the brackets option. All the games are shown, just click on the game you want to see and select Video

next team has Mike Sweetney and 2 former ucon dudes

michael-sweetney-fat.jpg

How will he make it up and down the court?

Went to the game last night and had a blast. If you have a chance to make it to one of these games I highly recommend it. Sat in the third row and ended up having Devendorf's family sitting on all sides of us. My 5 year old shared her coloring books with Eric's niece so they were entertained. The level of play was great and it was so cool to see those guys playing in person again. My kids had only seen Syracuse basketball from the nosebleed sections of the Dome so they were pretty floored at how big the players were. We got a chance to live the life of cto and meet the players after the game. The guys couldn't have been nicer to my family and me. My 7 year old broke his arm on Monday and they all signed his cast. My normally shy 5 year old was having them all sign her arm and gave Baye (who is as nice as everyone says) a big hug.

Just a few thoughts on the game. DNic was off, but like others said, the shots just weren't falling. I think that he'll continue to be the best player on the floor. Warrick looked a little out of it, but he did have some nice dunks and was good at drawing fouls. Willie Deane is a very good point guard. He was by far the fastest guy on the court and handled the ball well. Devo looked just like he did in college. He was unstoppable going to his left. He had a couple sloppy turnovers but there were other times when I was really impressed with how well he handled the ball. Rick Jackson looked skinnier than college, especially his legs, but he continues to do Rick Jackson things. He got some nice rebounds and was a presence on both ends of the court.

We watched the City of Gods game beforehand and they are good. Granted, they were playing an overmatched team full of mostly former DII and minor DI players, but they are athletic, can shoot, and are big (in the case of Mike Sweetney, enormous). Our guys will have their hands full tonight.

So, that game seemed pretty sparsely attended. Who wants to petition to get them to move one of the sites to Syracuse? You know people would come out in droves for that here. It would be good for the guys that run the tournament and good for Syracuse as a city. Lets make it happen!

So, that game seemed pretty sparsely attended. Who wants to petition to get them to move one of the sites to Syracuse? You know people would come out in droves for that here. It would be good for the guys that run the tournament and good for Syracuse as a city. Lets make it happen!

The Final Four will be August 1-2 at Fordham University in the Bronx.

Home game.

The Final Four will be August 1-2 at Fordham University in the Bronx.

Home game.

Not good enough. I want games in the Dome. I bet more people will come to watch in the Dome than any venue they are using right now. This tourney is big news in Syracuse, people are loving it.

Not good enough. I want games in the Dome. I bet more people will come to watch in the Dome than any venue they are using right now. This tourney is big news in Syracuse, people are loving it.

Count me as a fan of the TBT. The staff was super nice and it was a great experience.

We had some pretty good chants of "Let's go Orange!" chants going last night. The SU fans helped fill up the half of the stadium we were allowed to sit on, but DePaul's on-campus arena is pretty small.

The college alumni team thing could be a good way for the tournament to gain more attention. The Fighting Alumni team had a whole bunch of old Notre Dame players that I recognized like Harangody and Hansborough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom