Gary Pinkel on ND | Syracusefan.com

Gary Pinkel on ND

CU44SE

All Conference
Today he was quoted as saying "no independents in the playoff, give them a year to join a league. They don't have independents in the NFL". How long before others start jumping on the bandwagon if ever? I can see both sides, the teams that hate ND is allowed to do whatever they want and the side that is fine with ND being independent because they still have a chance of eventually joining their desired conference.

I respect his view(disagree though)but the only thing that really irks me is the NFL comment.
This isn't and shouldn't be like the NFL.

nd1973 said:
I respect his view(disagree though)but the only thing that really irks me is the NFL comment. This isn't and shouldn't be like the NFL.

I don't know. I think the view from TV execs and sponsors would love for CFB to be more like the NFL. I think that's what's driving everything right now - they see NFL revenue and believe CFB revenue should be similar. Autonomy from the NCAA is a step towards that for the P5. Having a loose end/wild card like ND makes things less tidy.

I don't know. I think the view from TV execs and sponsors would love for CFB to be more like the NFL. I think that's what's driving everything right now - they see NFL revenue and believe CFB revenue should be similar. Autonomy from the NCAA is a step towards that for the P5. Having a loose end/wild card like ND makes things less tidy.

Would TV execs want college athletics to be more like the NFL? Wouldn't they be looking at negotiating everything (regular season through the playoffs) of all of the various sports through one 64-80 team league represented by one league office? I'm not sure that would be considered a plus.

Cheers,
Neil

That maybe what they would like to see but it stills doesn't solve the whole we aren't the NFL thing. College football has always been different then the pros and we should fight to keep that. This really is the way I feel no matter if ND was in full or maintained status quo.

The conferences HATE nd.

They already put a crimp into their money grubbing 'we will take the full bcs bowl payout' grab by capping it.

Them being excluded from the F4 is the next step.

I told u all last year that the bevo would be left out of the F4 because of no champ game.

It happened.

I also said nd will never see the F4 without being in a conference.

It will happen.

Does anyone read my posts?

Well apparently pinkel does...

Last edited:
The conferences HATE nd.

They already put a crimp into their money grubbing we will take the full bcs bowl payout grab by capping it.

I told u all last year that the bevo would be left out of the F4 because of no champ game.

It happened.

It will happen.

Classic Kaiser! Well played!

KaiserUEO said:
The conferences HATE nd. They already put a crimp into their money grubbing we will take the full bcs bowl payout grab by capping it. Them being excluded from the F4 is the next step. I told u all last year that the bevo would be left out of the F4 because of no champ game. It happened. I also said nd will never see the F4 without being in a conference. It will happen. Does anyone read my posts? Well apparently pinkel does...

I agreed with that then and now. ND is at a distinct disadvantage for getting into the playoffs at 4 teams. That conference championship is huge as it's usually a high quality opponent late in the season. ND can't have that until they join.

If it goes to 8 games, their path is easier for sure.

Would TV execs want college athletics to be more like the NFL? Wouldn't they be looking at negotiating everything (regular season through the playoffs) of all of the various sports through one 64-80 team league represented by one league office? I'm not sure that would be considered a plus.

Cheers,
Neil

Look under OLIGOPOLY.

The conferences HATE nd.

They already put a crimp into their money grubbing we will take the full bcs bowl payout grab by capping it.

It happened.

It will happen.

Those weren't exactly unique views.

Look under OLIGOPOLY.

Could you expand on this, since even knowing what oligopoly means, I'm not sure that applies in this scenario. Would the TV execs rather deal with one large organization for everything in college athletics (keep in mind this would now include the 2nd most popular sport in its entirety as well as a high level version of the NCAA tournament) or would they rather deal with 4 or 5 conferences which are competing against each other for regular season exposure, the Cartel for the CFP, and the NCAAs for the bb tourney?

Do TV execs like dealing with the NFL? I get the distinct impression that they don't, but they don't really have any choice about it if they want to televise the greatest sport in this country. As I see it, that is still the only sports organization that would be more powerful than a united College Athletics League.

Cheers,
Neil

Notre Dame will remain an independent until the Big Ten forces their hand. Right now anything said from SEC, Pac-12 is pointless. The Big XII has no power its all Texas' power in that conference. The Big Ten doesn't want to force Notre Dame's hand because they knew if they do ND will go to the ACC before the Big Ten. ND has never forgiven the Big Ten(mainly Michigan) from blackballing the Irish in the 1930s/1940s. Michigan State actually played ND when other teams from that conference wouldn't and that is why ND will continue playing Michigan State in the future rather than Michigan.

The Big Ten doesn't want to push ND into a conference unless it would be theirs. Pinkel can run his mouth because ND will never join the SEC and he can say whatever he wants on them. If ND goes 12-0 they will make the playoffs. If they go 11-1 they better hope the other 5 conference champions are weak or they could be held out like the Big XII champion last year. ND at 11-1 will be interesting and if they are left out that is probably the only way short of the Big Ten leading a charge to change the eligibility rules to get ND into a FB conference.

Notre Dame will remain an independent until the Big Ten forces their hand. Right now anything said from SEC, Pac-12 is pointless. The Big XII has no power its all Texas' power in that conference. The Big Ten doesn't want to force Notre Dame's hand because they knew if they do ND will go to the ACC before the Big Ten. ND has never forgiven the Big Ten(mainly Michigan) from blackballing the Irish in the 1930s/1940s. Michigan State actually played ND when other teams from that conference wouldn't and that is why ND will continue playing Michigan State in the future rather than Michigan.

The Big Ten doesn't want to push ND into a conference unless it would be theirs. Pinkel can run his mouth because ND will never join the SEC and he can say whatever he wants on them. If ND goes 12-0 they will make the playoffs. If they go 11-1 they better hope the other 5 conference champions are weak or they could be held out like the Big XII champion last year. ND at 11-1 will be interesting and if they are left out that is probably the only way short of the Big Ten leading a charge to change the eligibility rules to get ND into a FB conference.

Basically agree with what you said. But if the CFP remains just 4 teams and ND goes 11-1 a couple of times over the next decade and gets passed over by a P5 champion, the Big Ten may have nothing to say about it.

images

What am I thinking? ND going 11-1 twice in the next 1o years?

All in fun TerryD. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Those weren't exactly unique views.
They were on here.

What alsacs said is the likely scenario, 12-0 or bust...and even then they better hope usc, Stanford, Mich st etc...are damn good that year.

It's either the acc or b1g, but where is anyone's guess.

My $$$ is the ACC, but...

They were on here.

What alsacs said is the likely scenario, 12-0 or bust...and even then they better hope usc, Stanford, Mich st etc...are damn good that year.

It's either the acc or b1g, but where is anyone's guess.

My $$$ is the ACC, but...

I'm not sure I understand. I get that they're not in a playoff unless they are 11-1 at the very least, but isn't that true of every team? And ND was in the title game a couple years ago after a perfect slate -- so while their results haven't been dominant by any stretch in a long time, they clearly still have a path that's not all that different from most others. I view it more like this: Every team has to win and beat some good teams along the way.

Today he was quoted as saying "no independents in the playoff, give them a year to join a league. They don't have independents in the NFL". How long before others start jumping on the bandwagon if ever? I can see both sides, the teams that hate ND is allowed to do whatever they want and the side that is fine with ND being independent because they still have a chance of eventually joining their desired conference.

I'm not saying Pinkel is right or wrong, but I find it funny that he's such a harda$$ about ND. For one, his salary and the general popularity of college football owes quite a bit to the longtime powerhouses. As much as the michigans and uscs and nds may be annoying and arrogant and whatever else, they all helped build the tradition that essentially is college football.

But the bigger point, IMO, is that it seems funny that a sport that will literally do anything -- ANYTHING -- for money; a sport that is willing to water down every conference it has and destroy traditional rivalries in the process, ends up being frustrated a school that is doing what it believes is the best way for it to, you know, make money. That's ironic. "Hey ND -- stop being selfish and join one of our randomly designed leagues that's going to change around again in three years!"

Everyone in college football is out for themselves. I'm pretty sure everyone should be OK with that.

Last year, if it had been Texas with the same resume as TCU (or Baylor) it would have been the Big Ten looking in from the outside. So the issue to a some extent, is only applicable to big 12 teams not named U of Texas, IMO.

Also in my opinion, there will always be an attempt to shoehorn a 11-1 ND into the playoffs.

Because it's Texas and ND. Ratings Cash Money.

IMO, over the next decade, the ACC will be the one struggling to get a team in a four team playoff. Hell, there were people who wanted to bump out an undefeated NC Florida State team last year. The past is not an indication of the future, but I think the 2013 & 2014 Fl St teams, are the only teams the ACC would have placed in a four team playoff since the inception of the ACC championship game.

As it's been stated, the SEC is the only conference that's going to be antagonistic to ND. The other conferences have aspirations of hooking up. Say what you want about ND, they know how to work the system.

Last edited:
Last year, if it had been Texas with the same resume as TCU (or Baylor) it would have been the Big Ten looking in from the outside. So the issue to a some extent, is only applicable to big 12 teams not named U of Texas, IMO.

Also in my opinion, there will always be an attempt to shoehorn a 11-1 ND into the playoffs.

Because it's Texas and ND. Ratings Cash Money.

IMO, over the next decade, the ACC will be the one struggling to get a team in a four team playoff. Hell, there were people who wanted to bump out an undefeated NC Florida State team last year. The past is not an indication of the future, but I think the 2013 & 2014 Fl St teams are the only teams the ACC would have put in a four team playoff since the inception of the ACC championship game.

As it's been stated, the SEC is the only conference that's going to be antagonistic to ND. The other conferences have aspiration of hooking up. Say what you want about ND, they know how to work the system.

Agree that if Texas OR Oklahoma had TCU's record they probably get in over Ohio State.

Agree with the bolded statement about the ACC still likely being the P5 champ most often left out or on the bubble as the CFP goes on, although I do think the 2007 VT team probably would have made a 4-team playoff.

But using this very sound logic of the ACC SOS/perception likely hurting ACC teams in the future, not sure how ND playing 5 ACC teams a year is going to help them either, even if they go 11-1, which history since 1990 seems to indicate won't happen often. Sure an 11-1 ND will make a NYD Event bowl. But I would think it would have to be a bad year for both the SEC and B1G together to get an 11-1 ND.

Cheers,
Neil

True but ND tends to have strong "OOC" games. For example, Texas, Georgia and Mich State in the next 2-3 years. I believe on the rare occasion they go 11-1, the college football power brokers will have their back.

I say this not knowing who the power brokers are. They may only exist in my head. :)

The whole independence thing is a bit of a joke at this point. Between the ACC deal and annual games, they don't have much more scheduling flexibility then a P5 conference member.

Once in a generation ND runs the table.

We'll be at 8 playoff teams before it happens again.

An 11-1 ND will have beaten at least four ACC teams. Unless the loss was against an ACC champion that ends up with a better record, the Irish will get in the playoffs at the ACC's expense. Even then, they will still have to beat out one of the other P5 champs, but there will likely be one with a lesser record/resume (i.e., non-Sooner/Longhorn B12 champion).

BlazeOrange said:
An 11-1 ND will have beaten at least four ACC teams. Unless the loss was against an ACC champion that ends up with a better record, the Irish will get in the playoffs at the ACC's expense. Even then, they will still have to beat out one of the other P5 champs, but there will likely be one with a lesser record/resume (i.e., non-Sooner/Longhorn B12 champion).

They'd be dueling it out with the B12 champ for the "no conference game" award. Unless the SEC has two teams even remotely worthy.

We'll be at 8 playoff teams before it happens again.
It should happen after the first 6-year cycle of the current CFB agreement completes... 2020. If they opt to wait until the current agreement completes it'll be 2026. Many here will be retired by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom