Gbinije update

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by PauliePeppas, Apr 27, 2012.

1. OrangeXtreme

OrangeXtreme Moderator Staff Member

MGB?

Ben Gay?

Thickburger?
  2. jdubs30

jdubs30 Hall of Fame

Excellent. Looks like he'll be able to play the 2 or the 3. He'll be able to step in right as Southerland graduates.

Francis/Jake/Bees, do any of you think this puts us out of the Kuran Iverson sweepstakes?
  3. Scotiacuse

Scotiacuse Walk On

Let's just call him 'Benji'.
  4. jekelish

jekelish Living Legend

Watching his high school highlights, the PA guy always says "Ben-uh-jay" so that's what I'm going with.
  5. ACCBballFan

ACCBballFan Walk On

Zagsblog has confirmed this too.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/28/mike-gbinije-could-make-acc-history/

Congrats.

Can't wait for the Cuse and Michael Gbinije to be in the ACC.

Zags article makes the point that due to the 2 year transfer rule in ACC, Mike G might be the only one ever to play 4 years in ACC at 2 different schools since the year he sits out, Syracuse will be in BE, not ACC.
  6. RoysRunts

RoysRunts Starter

7. RoysRunts

RoysRunts Starter

8. Jake

Jake Moderator Staff Member

Autry is going to be a great recruiter. GREAT recruiter.
  9. PauliePeppas

PauliePeppas Starter

Yup, and unlike gtown we know hes not going anywhere unless its a head coaching job. Love the loyalty with the staff
  10. arbitragegls

arbitragegls All Conference

interestingly Mike G played small forward wing on same AAU team as Grant...wonder how that worked out...one of these guys is going to be a 2-g...the other a small forward...ideas anyone?
  11. PauliePeppas

PauliePeppas Starter

Gbinije will play the 2 primarily
  12. normaliswear

normaliswear Starter

Mike G will play a lot of 2, and some 3. Grant is a 3 now but from reports he's still growing, he could end up a really athletic 4 who can play the 3 too before he's done.
    Henny & Coke likes this.
  13. MyMeloMyMan

MyMeloMyMan All Conference

This is his 6th school in 6 years. Any concern?
  14. PauliePeppas

PauliePeppas Starter

Not really, no way he transfers again, this is his last shot
  15. normaliswear

normaliswear Starter

Not saying its nothing... But Coach K still likes the kid, Red knows and coached him and JB is sold. Enough for me.
    Toga and OburgCuse like this.
  16. cuseguy

cuseguy Hall of Fame

Too early to tell, but I see him as sixth or seventh man type. Not a starter.
  17. normaliswear

normaliswear Starter

Me too. I see Cooney as our 2, Fair/Grant forwards and Mike G getting 20-25 miutes backing up both the 2 and the 3
  18. MyMeloMyMan

MyMeloMyMan All Conference

Looks like a perfect SU wing on tape. Little slow of foot? He doesn't look like the kind of kid who was going to be able to play in your shorts m2m like Coach K would want. Nice get for us. Coach K obviously doesn't think this kid is a very high impact guy, if he's all cool with this. If he can be our 6th/7th guy for a while... great.
  19. arbitragegls

arbitragegls All Conference

Mike G was rated #29 out of Top 100 for 2011 and 7th overall for SF positon. Here is write-up from ESPN recruiting on Duke's get:
    ESPN Analyst
    Updated 04/07/2011
    Strengths:
    Gbinije is unique because his game is very fundamentally sound at such a young age. He is an aberration in this day and age of selfish players because he rarely forces the action and always looks to make the right basketball play. He has a solid frame with nice length and he's a good athlete. His ball skills are college-ready and his jump shot is smooth out to 20-feet.
    Weaknesses:
    Gbinije is a smooth player, but he does have a tendency to float through stretches of a game. He has improved in this area, but he needs to improve his intensity level at both ends. In addition, he needs to continue to work on his 1st step to the basket (burst) to get by his opponent and become a more consistent defender.
    Bottom line:
    Gbinije is a fundamentally sound player that allows the game to come to him. He should have an easier transition than most prospects heading onto college because of his overall grasp of the game and skill set. If he can improve his aggressiveness (killer instinct) he should be a solid contributor for Duke during his frosh season.

Notes
    Travel Team: Team Takeover...Arizona, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Georgetown, Indiana, Maryland, Villanova, Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Temple also offered... Wingspan: 75"...Committed to Duke in March, 2010...2011 Jordan Brand All American...

Seems like 'Cuse is fortunate to have Mike G. I believe, as stated previously, he will be a 2-g. What a wall MCW and Cooney and Mike G will be...even taller and wing span greater than this year and next...whew to be a competitor to 'Cuse.
    With Mike G recruited for '13...who does this now leave out for '13 and '14? Your views?
  20. docsu

docsu All Conference

1. MCW Jr
    2. Cooney RsSo
    3. Fair Sr
    4. Xmas Jr
    5 DC3 So

G So
    Grant So
    BMK Sr
    Ennis?
    Obokoh?

Pretty solid. I like the idea of G being a 6th man/shooter. We may be thin at guard again though if MCW blows up.

BTW...I love that Duke fans think that G transfered here becasue he can't play man defense and he can "hide" in a 2-3 zone. Obviously they haven't watched a lot of Syracuse games.
  21. wallacecuse

wallacecuse 2nd String

Yeah, but how long before he gets a HC gig?
  22. Halfmooncuse

Halfmooncuse Starter

Good to hear that they were able to put both her legs in first class. Would have hurt like hell if only one leg was there and the other in coach. Lol
    albanycuse likes this.
  23. orangefan13

orangefan13 Hall of Fame

24. reedny

reedny All Conference

Yes... his name is already starting to appear with a lot of guys we're after. Ga Bin Jay (?) remembered him and remarked about the trust factor Red had established.
  25. cusetown1

cusetown1 Living Legend

Some people just exude coolness. Autry is one of them.
  26. HouseOfCuse

HouseOfCuse Scout Team

I heard his defense wasn't good enough at Duke which means he never really learned how to flop.
  27. Jake

I watched some tape of his from HS. He's got a slow release and somewhat awkward mechanics. Not your textbook shooter by any stretch. Its funny that Duke fans were bemoaning the loss of one of their only 4 athletic players - I don't see athleticism here at all. I see a somewhat mechanical player. Certainly a 4 year guy - maybe some Kjo in his game from a half court skill set. Will need some time to develop...I don't see an impact on the court until at least his JR year.
  28. OttoinGrotto

OttoinGrotto Living Legend

Jake, what are you calling an impact? Is he at least a viable sub after he sits for a season, or is that having too high of an expectation?
  29. Jake

I think the guy he reminds me of is Moten- from a stylistic standpoint. I don't see the athleticism to finish at the rim...he'll have to use guile. Not sure he's got the release needed to shoot at high elite level however. We'll see - he's certainly not a "can't miss" player. But these kinds of kids usually find a way to be effective.

Its funny - because he might be able to have more success in the ACC than Big East. Style of play is much different.

Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex