Gbinije update | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije update

Mike G will play a lot of 2, and some 3. Grant is a 3 now but from reports he's still growing, he could end up a really athletic 4 who can play the 3 too before he's done.

Too early to tell, but I see him as sixth or seventh man type. Not a starter.

Too early to tell, but I see him as sixth or seventh man type. Not a starter.
Me too. I see Cooney as our 2, Fair/Grant forwards and Mike G getting 20-25 miutes backing up both the 2 and the 3

Looks like a perfect SU wing on tape. Little slow of foot? He doesn't look like the kind of kid who was going to be able to play in your shorts m2m like Coach K would want. Nice get for us. Coach K obviously doesn't think this kid is a very high impact guy, if he's all cool with this. If he can be our 6th/7th guy for a while... great.

Mike G was rated #29 out of Top 100 for 2011 and 7th overall for SF positon. Here is write-up from ESPN recruiting on Duke's get:
ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/07/2011
Strengths:
Gbinije is unique because his game is very fundamentally sound at such a young age. He is an aberration in this day and age of selfish players because he rarely forces the action and always looks to make the right basketball play. He has a solid frame with nice length and he's a good athlete. His ball skills are college-ready and his jump shot is smooth out to 20-feet.
Weaknesses:
Gbinije is a smooth player, but he does have a tendency to float through stretches of a game. He has improved in this area, but he needs to improve his intensity level at both ends. In addition, he needs to continue to work on his 1st step to the basket (burst) to get by his opponent and become a more consistent defender.
Bottom line:
Gbinije is a fundamentally sound player that allows the game to come to him. He should have an easier transition than most prospects heading onto college because of his overall grasp of the game and skill set. If he can improve his aggressiveness (killer instinct) he should be a solid contributor for Duke during his frosh season.

Notes
Travel Team: Team Takeover...Arizona, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Georgetown, Indiana, Maryland, Villanova, Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Temple also offered... Wingspan: 75"...Committed to Duke in March, 2010...2011 Jordan Brand All American...

Seems like 'Cuse is fortunate to have Mike G. I believe, as stated previously, he will be a 2-g. What a wall MCW and Cooney and Mike G will be...even taller and wing span greater than this year and next...whew to be a competitor to 'Cuse.
With Mike G recruited for '13...who does this now leave out for '13 and '14? Your views?

1. MCW Jr
2. Cooney RsSo
3. Fair Sr
4. Xmas Jr
5 DC3 So

G So
Grant So
BMK Sr
Ennis?
Obokoh?

Pretty solid. I like the idea of G being a 6th man/shooter. We may be thin at guard again though if MCW blows up.

BTW...I love that Duke fans think that G transfered here becasue he can't play man defense and he can "hide" in a 2-3 zone. Obviously they haven't watched a lot of Syracuse games.

A co-worker of mine flew today from Florida to Dulles, then Dulles to Syracuse. She sat next to Gbinije's father. She barely follows Syr basketball (she is from the midwest) but told me that she 'sat next to and talked to some guy whose son was transferring from Duke'. When I asked if he said anything about coming to Syracuse she said he told her 'there really aren't any other options'.

Fab Melo was also on both flights. She is about 5'2" and got bumped up to first class both legs. He was stuck in coach the whole way. Said it was pretty funny watching him try to move down the aisle of the regional jet from IAD to SYR.
Good to hear that they were able to put both her legs in first class. Would have hurt like hell if only one leg was there and the other in coach. Lol

Autry is going to be a great recruiter. GREAT recruiter.

Yes... his name is already starting to appear with a lot of guys we're after. Ga Bin Jay (?) remembered him and remarked about the trust factor Red had established.

I watched some tape of his from HS. He's got a slow release and somewhat awkward mechanics. Not your textbook shooter by any stretch. Its funny that Duke fans were bemoaning the loss of one of their only 4 athletic players - I don't see athleticism here at all. I see a somewhat mechanical player. Certainly a 4 year guy - maybe some Kjo in his game from a half court skill set. Will need some time to develop...I don't see an impact on the court until at least his JR year.

I watched some tape of his from HS. He's got a slow release and somewhat awkward mechanics. Not your textbook shooter by any stretch. Its funny that Duke fans were bemoaning the loss of one of their only 4 athletic players - I don't see athleticism here at all. I see a somewhat mechanical player. Certainly a 4 year guy - maybe some Kjo in his game from a half court skill set. Will need some time to develop...I don't see an impact on the court until at least his JR year.
Jake, what are you calling an impact? Is he at least a viable sub after he sits for a season, or is that having too high of an expectation?

I think the guy he reminds me of is Moten- from a stylistic standpoint. I don't see the athleticism to finish at the rim...he'll have to use guile. Not sure he's got the release needed to shoot at high elite level however. We'll see - he's certainly not a "can't miss" player. But these kinds of kids usually find a way to be effective.

Its funny - because he might be able to have more success in the ACC than Big East. Style of play is much different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom