Gbinije Vs Battle | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije Vs Battle

20Plus

Real simple who would you take right now for next years team in terms of overall impact on the game and value for the team

G. Proven commodity. I think Battle is excellent and want him here and will do well, but more of a chance of him failing then G.

And I hope nobody is over analyzing this to the point where they state that Battles not for next year anyway.

At the Pg, probably Battle, even though I have never seen him play. G is a better wing player.

How many teams were/are recruiting Battle as a PG? Just us?

How many teams were/are recruiting Battle as a PG? Just us?

Sometimes I wonder about recruiting tall point guards. Maybe speed is more important than height. What we need are guys who can shift really fast at the top of the zone. Defending against 3's is tough but speed may be just as important as height.

Dave85 said:
Sometimes I wonder about recruiting tall point guards. Maybe speed is more important than height. What we need are guys who can shift really fast at the top of the zone. Defending against 3's is tough but speed may be just as important as height.

Definitely need lateral quickness to go along with long arms and quick hands.

I think the better comparison for G is last years Jerian Grant first team all american. or the year befores Marcus Smart. No question Gbinije.
Battle sophmore MCW's. :)

Last edited:

Mcw worked out pretty well for us, it seems like the game is trending towards the bigger pg.

I think the better comparison for G is last years Jerian Grant first team all american. or the year befores Marcus Smart. No question Gbinije.
Battle sophmore MCW's. :)

I'm not saying Battle isn't going to impress nor couldn't match MCW's sophomore year, but do you remember his sophomore yeah? Dude was really really really good and became the #11 overall pick in the draft. Is that what you're saying Battle will be his first year here? Those are quite lofty expectations.

I'm not sure the point of this question. G won't be here in Battle's freshman year. We have G this year and we get Battle next year. Win-win.

I'm not saying Battle isn't going to impress nor couldn't match MCW's sophomore year, but do you remember his sophomore yeah? Dude was really really really good and became the #11 overall pick in the draft. Is that what you're saying Battle will be his first year here? Those are quite lofty expectations.
Battle is being billed as a transcendent talent that will be one of the very best freshman in the country and a 'lock' to be a 1 and done.

So yes people are kind of expecting him to have a year worthy of being a top 11 pick in the NBA draft. In fact that might well be below the expectations some people would have for Battle in an Orange uniform.

Silly question really. Battle isn't eligible until Gbinije's eligibility is up.

I know you said no "overanalysis" but no reason to choose between them because we don't have to.

Battle is being billed as a transcendent talent that will be one of the very best freshman in the country and a 'lock' to be a 1 and done.

So yes people are kind of expecting him to have a year worthy of being a top 11 pick in the NBA draft. In fact that might well be below the expectations some people would have for Battle in an Orange uniform.

And Roberson was billed as the next great thing, McCullough was one of our biggest recruits since Carmello, Fab Melo was a one and done talent, Donte Greene was supposed to be a lottery pick. I get it, I'm not discounting Battle at all but just because somebody coming in is billed as something doesn't mean it's always true. If you're going to put year 2 MCW expectations on Battle it's not fair. All I'm saying is that MCW was very very good for us his second year and led us to the final 4. I'm not saying it can't happen but it's unfair to put those expectations on anybody.

I'm not really convinced that Battle--for all of his talents--is a lead guard. And I don't think that Gbinije is one either, despite his multi-dimensionality and ability to handle.

Personally, I'd rather have both off the ball. But I love the fact that both have the versatility to initiate the offense and have things flow through them.

To make this choice, I'd need to understand if having Battle at lead guard would mean that Gbinije would be one of the guys he'd pass to. Given that option, I'd rather have Battle. But if it is one versus the other, then I kind of stick with what many have suggested--proven senior / multi-year starter versus true frosh makes it easy to go with G.

I'd take a 5th year senior over a high school kid I've never seen play.
90 percent of the time I agree but not always.
1. sometimes you are better waiting a year for a special talent if need be
2. other times the fresh will just have better multidimentionality or can do 1-2 things real good while the senior becomes more of a supporter then 6th man let alone leader on the court.

I'm more concerned with the offensive end. Sick of rock fights.

Whoever is at point, I hope they can shoot, pass, dribble, and make good decisions with the ball like Douglas, Pearl, Flynn, and GMac.

I'm more concerned with the offensive end. Sick of rock fights.

Whoever is at point, I hope they can shoot, pass, dribble, and make good decisions with the ball like Douglas, Pearl, Flynn, and GMac.

That is a very good point. But when it comes to recruiting I think they are going with tall guards for defense. It would be nice to get a really good shooting guard for a change!

That is a very good point. But when it comes to recruiting I think they are going with tall guards for defense. It would be nice to get a really good shooting guard for a change!

uhhhh Malachi Richardson, and we're targeting Kevin Huerter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom