George McDonald studies Marc Trestman's philosophy | Syracusefan.com

George McDonald studies Marc Trestman's philosophy

Rocco

Watching you.
I haven't seen this article posted from yesterday morning, but Mink does a nice job. McD went there in late May to spend time watching the Bears and how Trestman coaches his team. This trip wasn't about X's & O's, but more about uniform understanding in the film room.

A side note is that he also spent some "invaluable" time with Pasqualoni. Good read.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...o_bears_and_marc_trestman_the_phil_jacks.html

The thing I love about McDonald is he is always trying to learn, which is a very valuable asset to have. I just hope he doesn't try to over think himself like he did last year. I think he tried to implement too many things from the 49ers and Falcons which confused the offense. The offense in the begining of the year was a mess; play calls getting in late, delay of games, improper formations, just mass confusion. Not to mention a lack of identity or the fact we couldn't decide which player we wanted to play QB. Towards the end of the year he seemed to find his groove and I believe we will be in for a very big year offensively.

I think these trips are also great opportunities for McDonald to expand his professional network, which is a very smart thing. He's going to be tough to keep long-term unless SU makes it worthwhile for him to stay...like giving him Gary Gait-type money.

I haven't seen this article posted from yesterday morning, but Mink does a nice job. McD went there in late May to spend time watching the Bears and how Trestman coaches his team. This trip wasn't about X's & O's, but more about uniform understanding in the film room.

A side note is that he also spent some "invaluable" time with Pasqualoni. Good read.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...o_bears_and_marc_trestman_the_phil_jacks.html
I don't know much about the CFL but Trestman's success with Calvillo would seem to make him a good guy to talk to

I think these trips are also great opportunities for McDonald to expand his professional network, which is a very smart thing. He's going to be tough to keep long-term unless SU makes it worthwhile for him to stay...like giving him Gary Gait-type money.

I'd imagine his next gig would be as a HC at like a MAC-type school. He needs to keep proving himself though on the field. He has the recruiting tools, but now he needs to show he can effectively run an offense.