George Morris II | Syracusefan.com

George Morris II

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I think one noticeable topic of discussion last night in the chat in the midst of a really fun game was the lack of impact from Morris II. He seemed to struggle in breaking tackles, wiggle and just staying on his feet... all the other young RB's seemed explosive and smooth, he just really seemed to struggle. I am interested to hear some thoughts and insights about Morris II moving forward. Does he continue to be the 1 or 2 at RB, or is supplanted by the younger RB's (and a healthy/available McFarlane)? Does he play because of his veteran status, even if he's not the best option (kind of a Shafer loyalty thing)? Was he dinged up at all? Please, please realize this is not a bash Morris II thread... don't bring any character assassination or just general negativity about him into this, thanks.

I think one noticeable topic of discussion last night in the chat in the midst of a really fun game was the lack of impact from Morris II. He seemed to struggle in breaking tackles, wiggle and just staying on his feet... all the other young RB's seemed explosive and smooth, he just really seemed to struggle. I am interested to hear some thoughts and insights about Morris II moving forward. Does he continue to be the 1 or 2 at RB, or is supplanted by the younger RB's (and a healthy/available McFarlane)? Does he play because of his veteran status, even if he's not the best option (kind of a Shafer loyalty thing)? Was he dinged up at all? Please, please realize this is not a bash Morris II thread... don't bring any character assassination or just general negativity about him into this, thanks.

It's pretty clear he's not quite as talented as the younger kids. Or even McFarlane for that matter. That's not to say he's bad by any stretch of the imagination. But those guys all seem to be better.

I think one of the biggest problems he has is that he is tentative in the hole and seems to be getting in his own way sometimes.

Wish him well but I'm pretty sure Fredericks/McFarlane/Strickland should see the bulk of the carries this season.

I think he has to drop to #3. As I said last night, it wasn't just the things you pointed out about his running, he also had 2 penalties. You might expect that from the freshman, not the junior. And it's hard to forget his alligator arms last year.

Having said all of that, he'll probably have some monster breakout game against Wake. Which would be fine by me. I just think (like most here) that Fredericks already looked better.

I think one of the biggest problems he has is that he is tentative in the hole and seems to be getting in his own way sometimes.
Agree, imo it's because he doesn't have the greatest vision in the hole. The other issue is that he gets dropped with feather soft tackles... Best of luck to him, but looks like the freshman have more skill and moxie...

Someone has to be #3. I hope it's not Fredericks.

Although I'm not convinced the PT our Freshman received against URI carries over to next week.

He had 71 on 12 for a 5.9 yd average, so lets not get too critical. But he does seem to run right into tacklers without much effort/ability to avoid them. Someone in the chatroom also commented that he looks stiff when he runs.

Let's face it the you get players are just a lot better than him. It seems obvious that Fredricks will be owe the feature back The talent level he has is just so superior that he has to be the guy.

It is a little disappointing. I remember talk that Morris II was the best RB in practice before the bowl game in his redshirt year.

Not only was he tentative but he was running stranding straight up. Reminded me of how a QB runs when he still looking downfield to possibly throw.

I know it's just one game, but if McFarlane remains the starter (at least for now), Fredericks seemed last night to be on a different plane than Morris. I'm sure Shafer/Lester will say that they're going to play the hot hand, but I wouldn't be if that hot hand becomes Fredericks on a more frequent basis. But like was pointed out, Morris didn't have a bad game, it just didn't have the same sizzle as the frosh.

Something happened to him. He's just not the same player he used to be. I don't know what messed him up, but something weird happened.

He played well as did all the backs. Fredericks looks to have the most talent but that shouldn't be a knock on Morris. I'll take 12 for 71 every day of the week.

I just don't think he's strong enough in his lower body. He struggles after contact.

That said, he ran some kid the F over yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom