Georgetown and Thompson | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown and Thompson

PauliePeppas

Hall of Fame
Their fans are getting extremely restless and most want him out, think the administration has the cajones to actually fire him? Getting blown out today as well

39-16 providence

Their fans are getting extremely restless and most want him out, think the administration has the cajones to actually fire him? Getting blown out today as well

Their mistake for thinking they can truly remain relevant on a go forward. I think having an NCAA qualifier every couple of years is a good reality for them. I'm not sure its reality to expect an elite academic institution (I know that characterization will probably piss off some of the SU alums, but its true) to truly be able to compete athletically in a second-tier conference. Schools like UConn or Nova that can bring in recruits that more closely fit their academic profile (a tier or two lower than Gtown) can probably remain relevant, just not sure that is a possibility for Georgetown.

Their mistake for thinking they can truly remain relevant on a go forward. I think having an NCAA qualifier every couple of years is a good reality for them. I'm not sure its reality to expect an elite academic institution (I know that characterization will probably piss off some of the SU alums, but its true) to truly be able to compete athletically in a second-tier conference. Schools like UConn or Nova that can bring in recruits that more closely fit their academic profile (a tier or two lower than Gtown) can probably remain relevant, just not sure that is a possibility for Georgetown.

I'm just asking. Do you think their basketball student athletes have the same admission criteria as their student body? Do you think it may be Thompson's modified Princeton style that might not attract recruits or hold back talented recruits from maximizing their athletic talent?

They just lost to Providence to help ensure they are on the outside looking in!

Georgetown fire JT Jr?

Two words,"NEVER and HAPPEN"

John Thompson, Jr (The old man) intimidates every one at GU. They --- the President, the Jesuit priests--- would rather gouge out their own eyeballs than deny him anything.

He got away with stuff at GU that no one else could. Including, putting a placeholder successor, Craig Esherick, while his real chosen successor prepared himself for the job. He knew Esherick would fail. He just needed some time.

The parade of thugs and miscreants that came through GU were there because no one dared stand up to him. He stormed off the court protesting any academic requirements whatsoever, and was cited as some sort of hero.

Those GU fans suggesting JT III be fired may be right. But they have zero chance of succeeding in this fool's errand.

GU could easily slip down to being a Mid-Major. But even the threat of that wouldn't be enough. No one on campus has the stones to do anything about it.

After they make the CBI/NIT this year, they'll have won three NCAA tourney games in the last 8 years.

It'll be interesting to see how bad they'll have to get before they consider firing JT3.

Let me give you an example of the sheer terror that JT Jr strikes in the heart of the DC media and the GU administration.

In the last year Big John's reign at Georgetown, I was riding home listening to the only sports radio show.

The subject was Hoya basketball. (Amazing since 95% of all DC sports shows are about the Redskins year round.)

An intelligent,well-prepared caller got on the air and asked the hosts if they had a comment about the dozen or so players that had been brought in and then run-off when they had off-court issues or on-court performance issues. He read a list of players.

The hosts sat in stunned silence. Then they just went on to the next caller without comment. There was no way they were going to get in that discussion on the radio in DC. Their fear was palpable. JT would stand for no criticism.

Imagine that. A sports call-in show that would not even allow criticism to be voiced.

Controversy is what these guys live for. And they were sooo frightened of the consequences they wouldn't even allow a caller to voice criticism.

JTJr, is not only powerful, he's vindictive.

Do you think their basketball student athletes have the same admission criteria as their student body?
There is no way that Allen Iverson, Victor Page, Michael Graham, Patrick Ewing, Jahadi White and on and on and on ever met regular Georgetown admission requirements.
Do you think it may be Thompson's modified Princeton style that might not attract recruits or hold back talented recruits from maximizing their athletic talent?
No. It's because it's 4:11PM and Georgetown still sucks.

Providence is ranked and GT only lost by 3 at Providence. That doesn't seem like a disaster.

Were down 26, but thats besides the point. Im going off the last few years where their results have beem down and recruiting is suffering. Fans want him gone but it wont happen. I hope he stays there forever

Let me give you an example of the sheer terror that JT Jr strikes in the heart of the DC media and the GU administration.

In the last year Big John's reign at Georgetown, I was riding home listening to the only sports radio show.

The subject was Hoya basketball. (Amazing since 95% of all DC sports shows are about the Redskins year round.)

An intelligent,well-prepared caller got on the air and asked the hosts if they had a comment about the dozen or so players that had been brought in and then run-off when they had off-court issues or on-court performance issues. He read a list of players.

The hosts sat in stunned silence. Then they just went on to the next caller without comment. There was no way they were going to get in that discussion on the radio in DC. Their fear was palpable. JT would stand for no criticism.

Imagine that. A sports call-in show that would not even allow criticism to be voiced.

Controversy is what these guys live for. And they were sooo frightened of the consequences they wouldn't even allow a caller to voice criticism.

JTJr, is not only powerful, he's vindictive.
Reality! It's hard to comprehend but I 2nd your take although you are in the mix and I'm 40 miles out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom