Georgia Tech cut blocks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech cut blocks

Every team in America, above the High School level, teaches the cut.

Defenders hate it. Hell, OL hate it because as a general rule of thumb they hate having to get up after diving. But there are uses for the cut, and it's for the most part clean.

When it gets dicey, is when it's executed from a place out of the defender's line of sight. Or when it's a chop, where a defender is already engaged with another blocker.

It's as much of a part of football as a snap, handoff or catch. It's typically used most by an outsized blocker, or on a pull / outside run play. The use of it between the tackles is becoming nearly non-existent because of the probability a chop gets called.

*and the target when taught correctly is top of the thigh board, gravity brings you to the knee when you leave your feet.

Can't fathom your stance. PJ has been doing this for years and getting away with it. For an offensive linenan to dive right or left and not only target a knee, but target it from a lateral angle is rediculous. It isn't right, never will be and you wouldn't want it done to your kid. Interesting to see just how many GT offensive line cutters have made it into the league as of late.

Believe it or not, I coached youth football for over 15 years. At the sixth grade level we taught the cut block, particularly to pulling guards. No one got hurt, it was within the rules and no one complained. We will never see eye to eye on this one, I suppose.

Someday a coach will go Jeff Gilooly on Paul Johnson's knees.
51306197.jpg

Believe it or not, I coached youth football for over 15 years. At the sixth grade level we taught the cut block, particularly to pulling guards. No one got hurt, it was within the rules and no one complained. We will never see eye to eye on this one, I suppose.
Texas....when I originally made this post it was because of a particular play that I saw in the game that injured the opposing player. The TE went right after the knees of the DT where the play was going in the opposite direction. The player NEVER saw it coming as it was on his blind side. It was obvious that the TE was taught this technique and it seemed to be part the play design. It may be legal but I personally see it as being "dirty" with the intent to take the player out regardless of the circumstances. I don't have a problem with hitting a player low, my issue is when the player is not involved in the play and he is hit low with intent. That was the play that I viewed and IMO it was dirty.