Get Ennis, and a Big and we're done? | Syracusefan.com

Get Ennis, and a Big and we're done?

normaliswear

Starter
Now with Mike G on board just have to close on Ennis get maybe Anya and is 13 done? Kinda wanna BIG 14 class.

I agree, id hold off on a wing so we can go hard after vonleh, mccullough, johnson, etc, and be able to offer a lot of pt...ennis, gbinije, and one of anya/obokoh would be perfect...teams in great shape going forward

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger Obokoh fan everyday. Really interested in seeing how the next year unfolds for Obokoh progression wise.

Give me Chinoso or give me death...

Why a Big?

For '13, BMK will be a Senior, Rak a Jr, and DC2 a So. Also Grant will be a So. and CJ will be a Sr. No normal recruit in '13 would see any time up front. You would have to take a semi-projecct that would need to be patient.

'14 would seem a better selling period for a talented big. It's a much easier sell to say learn for a year and then take over. BMK + CJ would be gone and it would be Rak (Sr), and DC2 (Jr). It's possible DC2 could leave after Jr year.

The real PT time for bigs is scheduled to be available in '15. Getting a talented big in '14 with that in PT in mind makes the most sense.

Why a Big?

For '13, BMK will be a Senior, Rak a Jr, and DC2 a So. Also Grant will be a So. and CJ will be a Sr. No normal recruit in '13 would see any time up front. You would have to take a semi-projecct that would need to be patient.

'14 would seem a better selling period for a talented big. It's a much easier sell to say learn for a year and then take over. BMK + CJ would be gone and it would be Rak (Sr), and DC2 (Jr). It's possible DC2 could leave after Jr year.

The real PT time for bigs is scheduled to be available in '15. Getting a talented big in '14 with that in PT in mind makes the most sense.
Are you sure Rak and/or DC2 will be around past '13 because I'm not? Like I said at first I think '14 should be a bigger class but yes I want at least one good big in '13

Jimmy hinted early this year if rak had a good year hed probably go pro, rak is already 21 btw i think

Are you sure Rak and/or DC2 will be around past '13 because I'm not? Like I said at first I think '14 should be a bigger class but yes I want at least one good big in '13
The point is you won't get a good big in '13, there is no PT available. How do you sell that?
You could get a project but that might impede the talent you could get in '14. If you take the project now you negatively impact your odds of landing D Johnson in '14. It's not worth it, the coaches have no need to panic, they have a great progression going.

Yes, you give Anya lip service. But that is mostly window dressing, get the SU name out there. Kind of like NN. Keep the name out there with the big boys but realize the fit really isn't there. Landing a D Johnson and/or N Vonleh is the key to keeping the elite thing going.

The guards on the other hand, are an entirely different situation. The coaches need a '13 pg bad. Looks like they want Ennis. But the staff is probably reviewing the time frame they can allow for the commit before going to a first to take the offer type situation to at least get someone good in here.

The point is you won't get a good big in '13, there is no PT available. How do you sell that?
You could get a project but that might impede the talent you could get in '14. If you take the project now you negatively impact your odds of landing D Johnson in '14. It's not worth it, the coaches have no need to panic, they have a great progression going.

Yes, you give Anya lip service. But that is mostly window dressing, get the SU name out there. Kind of like NN. Keep the name out there with the big boys but realize the fit really isn't there. Landing a D Johnson and/or N Vonleh is the key to keeping the elite thing going.

The guards on the other hand, are an entirely different situation. The coaches need a '13 pg bad. Looks like they want Ennis. But the staff is probably reviewing the time frame they can allow for the commit before going to a first to take the offer type situation to at least get someone good in here.
So having Fab Melo and Rak made it impossible to land DC2? We have a real shot at Anya or Obokoh. Just because we didn't land NN doesn't mean it was lip service, we were close on him. I don't see Anya or Obokoh making Johnson or Vonleh impossible the next year. Elite programs recruit good players every year. The last 3 years we've gotten a McD's AA big man, but it's a terrible idea to do it again? I wouldn't take a scrub big man, but if you get a commit from a top tier guy you take it. And chances are good we can get one.

The staff have been looking at quite a few guards this weekend. I believe it's more due diligence than anything.

So having Fab Melo and Rak made it impossible to land DC2? We have a real shot at Anya or Obokoh. Just because we didn't land NN doesn't mean it was lip service, we were close on him. I don't see Anya or Obokoh making Johnson or Vonleh impossible the next year. Elite programs recruit good players every year. The last 3 years we've gotten a McD's AA big man, but it's a terrible idea to do it again? I wouldn't take a scrub big man, but if you get a commit from a top tier guy you take it. And chances are good we can get one.
DC2 is a special case, that is going largely unappreciated from the average SU fan. Rak came to be the 4 to Fab's 5, there was no duplication there.
NN may not have been lip service but the deciding factor was probably PT. There was no easy way around it.

You seem to be undervaluing the factor of PT in the decisions of the big time recruit. The addition of Anya would be a factor in Johnson or Vonleh's decision. While the staff would probably have to take the commit it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have consequences.

The staff have been looking at quite a few guards this weekend. I believe it's more due diligence than anything.
Due diligence?...Don't you think the staff has to be formulating their strategy on how long to give Ennis before they go to the strategy of first person to commit?...And they need a pecking order of the list they go down.

They need a pg in '13 - none of this luxury big man stuff. Ennis needs to realize SU's predicament and give a good time frame for his decisison.

DC2 is a special case, that is going largely unappreciated from the average SU fan. Rak came to be the 4 to Fab's 5, there was no duplication there.
NN may not have been lip service but the deciding factor was probably PT. There was no easy way around it.

You seem to be undervaluing the factor of PT in the decisions of the big time recruit. The addition of Anya would be a factor in Johnson or Vonleh's decision. While the staff would probably have to take the commit it doesn't mean that it wouldn't have consequences.

I think that's why a guy like Obokoh is a good fit. He has good potential but also ability to play and contribute a little off the bench early. He won't be demanding big minutes or a starting spot right away, but will be a good back up and give quality depth if guys like Johnson or Vonleh come the year after.

Due diligence?...Don't you think the staff has to be formulating their strategy on how long to give Ennis before they go to the strategy of first person to commit?...And they need a pecking order of the list they go down.

They need a pg in '13 - none of this luxury big man stuff. Ennis needs to realize SU's predicament and give a good time frame for his decisison.

Guys like brantley jordan santil are all being looked at, the staff has a back up plan, ennis is a strong possibility but let the kid take his time lol, its a big decision for him...well sign a guard so the "predicament" thing is kinda pointless

Guys like brantley jordan santil are all being looked at, the staff has a back up plan, ennis is a strong possibility but let the kid take his time lol, its a big decision for him...well sign a guard so the "predicament" thing is kinda pointless
The predicament is having MCW go pro early. The potential is there for a James Theus, Michael Edwards situation. Tell me again how silly it is for the staff to explain the need for timely decision.

The '13 search for a pg is not a pointless problem. It is the number one problem facing SU at the moment.

The predicament is having MCW go pro early. The potential is there for a James Theus, Michael Edwards situation. Tell me again how silly it is for the staff to explain the need for timely decision.

The '13 search for a pg is not a pointless problem. It is the number one problem facing SU at the moment.

Ennis said himself hell make a decidion in the fall. Mcw isnt going pro in november lol, if he picks elsewhere there are many other options, hence why franis saidbthe staff is doing their due dilligence

Ennis said himself hell make a decidion in the fall. Mcw isnt going pro in november lol, if he picks elsewhere there are many other options, hence why franis saidbthe staff is doing their due dilligence
We're not talking this November don't forget we're talking '13-'14. This is after MCW gets a full year to show his stuff. And MC W will be the only ball handling guard. People are talking about the guards being thin now. The ballhandling problem just gets worse after Triche leaves. And what if MCW gets hurt?

Maybe the staff isn't fine with waiting until the Fall for a decision. You and Francis can downgrade this all you want, call it due diligence - I call it clearly the number 1 recruiting priority - by far.

If I were the staff I wouldn't be too psyched about having this drag out into next Fall. SU absolutely needs a pg for '13 and certainly needs to evaluate how long they can wait for someone to commit. This isn't doing due diligence it is addressing the number one concern in the recruiting area.

We're not talking this November don't forget we're talking '13-'14. This is after MCW gets a full year to show his stuff. And MC W will be the only ball handling guard. People are talking about the guards being thin now. The ballhandling problem just gets worse after Triche leaves. And what if MCW gets hurt?

Maybe the staff isn't fine with waiting until the Fall for a decision. You and Francis can downgrade this all you want, call it due diligence - I call it clearly the number 1 recruiting priority - by far.

If I were the staff I wouldn't be too psyched about having this drag out into next Fall. SU absolutely needs a pg for '13 and certainly needs to evaluate how long they can wait for someone to commit. This isn't doing due diligence it is addressing the number one concern in the recruiting area.

Their number one priority in the class is ennis and were in the lead what more can you ask for??.

Sounds like PF Jermaine Lawrence is in play. Article mentioned that his coach indicated that SU is very involved. He is an intriguing prospect with tremendous upside. Obokoh would be a nice 4 year player. Lawrence might be pro level in a couple years, a la the kid from St. Johns this past season.

Any "predicament" SU has is not Ennis's problem. He needs to way his options and find the best place for him. To think a highschool kid owes anything to a college he's not attending/signed a letter of intent to is foolish. Whether he misses his chance to come to SU by waiting or SU misses out on him and someone else by holding a spot too long is the nature of the recruiting game.

Wow. What exactly do you expect? The top rated kids often commit later because they know they have a place open wherever they want (Waiters, MCW, Flynn were all luxuries). If a kid like Ennis gets pushed too hard before he's ready he'll just say "screw you" and go somewhere else. The staff will continue to recruit him hard while investigating backup plans. Your impatience does not constitute an emergency on a recruit's part.

Wow. What exactly do you expect? The top rated kids often commit later because they know they have a place open wherever they want (Waiters, MCW, Flynn were all luxuries). If a kid like Ennis gets pushed too hard before he's ready he'll just say "screw you" and go somewhere else. The staff will continue to recruit him hard while investigating backup plans. Your impatience does not constitute an emergency on a recruits part.
I expect the kid to understand the school's situation and reach a compromise. If he doesn't want to do that, that is his decision. I would prefer SU doesn't put themselves in a position where it becomes Ennis or some juco in the Spring. Things can always get complicated trying to get a recruit.

There are some troubling signs, heavy involvement of parents and a delayed decision. That is often times code for looking for a paypalcal type or a diva type move.

I think I would prefer a summer commitment out of someone like Rysheed Jordan than sitting and waiting until Spring for Ennis to commit.

It's not the recruit that has an emergency, it's SU. There is no backup pg at the moment in '13. That is a title contending team with no backup to MCW. And MCW does not seem like a 4 year player.

I expect the kid to understand the school's situation and reach a compromise.

Why would expect that? Why do you believe the staff would ever leave themselves exposed with no options if the one kid chooses to go elsewhere? When has that happened? I don't understand the concern?

I expect the kid to understand the school's situation and reach a compromise. If he doesn't want to do that, that is his decision. I would prefer SU doesn't put themselves in a position where it becomes Ennis or some juco in the Spring. Things can always get complicated trying to get a recruit.

There are some troubling signs, heavy involvement of parents and a delayed decision. That is often times code for looking for a paypalcal type or a diva type move.

I think I would prefer a summer commitment out of someone like Rysheed Jordan than sitting and waiting until Spring for Ennis to commit.

It's not the recruit that has an emergency, it's SU. There is no backup pg at the moment in '13. That is a title contending team with no backup to MCW. And MCW does not seem like a 4 year player.
The kid only needs to understand a school's situation with regards to how it affects him. What kind of compromise exists when he doesn't know where he wants to go yet? If a kid hasn't grown up being a life long fan of a school, why would he rush to commit to anyone before he investigates his options fully? Why do you assume that any player that we actually want, would commit this summer? As I said before, we got spoiled with early commits recently (in the cases of MCW and Flynn they shot up the ranks after they had committed). If we want to play big boy ball we're going to have to sweat out some of the recruiting battles with the high level kids. We'll win some and we'll lose some.

The kid only needs to understand a school's situation with regards to how it affects him. What kind of compromise exists when he doesn't know where he wants to go yet? If a kid hasn't grown up being a life long fan of a school, why would he rush to commit to anyone before he investigates his options fully? Why do you assume that any player that we actually want, would commit this summer? As I said before, we got spoiled with early commits recently (in the cases of MCW and Flynn they shot up the ranks after they had committed). If we want to play big boy ball we're going to have to sweat out some of the recruiting battles with the high level kids. We'll win some and we'll lose some.
The point is SU's situation does affect him. SU, IMO, is in a trickier situation than usual for '13 at pg. SU is unusually thin and with MCW unlikely to last 4 years only adds to SU's pg need in '13.

It is reasonable to think SU may have to go to the first person to commit situation out of several choices they have at pg at some point. Because while you may think you have to sweat out some of the recruiting battles, sometimes you shouldn't. I believe this is not an NN luxury situation but instead a must-get.

You don't pass on a R Jordan in this situation to hope Ennis will come around. That is how you end up with a Michael Edwards type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom