Get off the cliff | Syracusefan.com

Get off the cliff

RICuse44

Starter
posted this elsewhere but it deserves mentioning.

Tagged above they have the graduating class. The first thing that struck me is how small it is. The second thing that is interesting is 3 players were graduate transfers brought on by babers.

Dino has started to win recruiting battles. But for the most part we still have freshman and sophomores- 18 and 19 yo kids- playing against juniors and seniors- 22 and 23 yo men. It's going to take time. The only 2 teams not to make a bowl in our division are us and FSU. This isn't the old big east days. This division is legit. We are still looking at another 3-4 years.

Now excuse me while I go finish off my Clark griswold inspired Santa and reindeer display

posted this elsewhere but it deserves mentioning.

Tagged above they have the graduating class. The first thing that struck me is how small it is. The second thing that is interesting is 3 players were graduate transfers brought on by babers.

Dino has started to win recruiting battles. But for the most part we still have freshman and sophomores- 18 and 19 yo kids- ...

Actually not playing many true freshman (Elmore and who else?) or RsF (two OL, Culpepper today). A few true sophs on defense.

We are getting run over by BC's true frosh RB. Dino needs to win more recruiting battles with the 8 or 9 slots he has left in this cycle.

As others have pointed out, we beat Nebraska in ‘84 and then lost 3 in a row. We were a pretty middling team for that season and ‘85, then started 0-4 in 1986.

It’s not like we beat Nebraska and just steadily went uphill, culminating in an 11-0 season a few years later. We were up and down and still taking some pretty good lumps at times the rest of 84,85, and 86.

We’ve just gotta keep winning recruiting battles and upgrading the talent and depth in the program.

I said the same thing last week and got my hand slapped. The staff is not ACC quality.

Were you saying the same thing 3 weeks ago?

For 3/4 of the season, the large improvement on defense since last year was a big talking point here.

Here is what I don't get from our fanbase.

1- "This thing is going to take some time to build." Dino Babers
"Okay." The Fans

2- "We may have to take a step back, before we can take a step forward" Dino Babers
"Okay" The Fans

3- "Have faith. Belief without evidence" Dino Babers
"Okay" The Fans

4- "It's possible that we're are a better team this year, but it won't show in our record because we have such a tough schedule." Dino Babers
"Okay" The Fans

Fast forward to the end of year 2, and we are pretty much where I expected to be, and the things Dino told us would probably happen, have now come to pass. The vast majority of the fans were all on board with Dino and his request for patience, and faith. That vast majority now seems to be a minority. Maybe people were hoping it was just coach speak, but it made sense the whole time. Dino wasn't asking for patience through 2 years. He was asking for patience for a realistic amount of time to get this program to a 6+ win team.
3-5 years people...it'll take 3-5 years to turn this ship around.

Every single preseason preview picked us to be 3-9 or 4-8. Why? Because they don’t wear orange colored glasses. Pretty clear that we stunk last year and we were going to stink this year, we just are so desperate for a winner we ignored it. Yeah we beat Clemson. Do we do that if Bryant is healthy? Nope. Yeah we played LSU close but they lost to Troy the next week. Yeah we played Miami close but so did North Carolina and most of the weak teams on their schedule. Basically we are who our record says we are right now: the bottom feeder of the conference. No one else has missed a bowl 4 straight years in this conference, just us. Hoping for better things next year and the year after but we shall see. Still have faith in Dino, just gets exhausting rooting for this team sometimes

Actually not playing many true freshman (Elmore and who else?) or RsF (two OL, Culpepper today). A few true sophs on defense.

We are getting run over by BC's true frosh RB. Dino needs to win more recruiting battles with the 8 or 9 slots he has left in this cycle.

Sophs on defense- Coleman, Frederick, Bradshaw, foster, Williams then w subs ruff. Not to mention Guthrie and Berry. That's a lot of your players w substantial minutes

Sophs on defense- Coleman, Frederick, Bradshaw, foster, Williams then w subs ruff. Not to mention Guthrie and Berry. That's a lot of your players w substantial minutes
You could add Robinson and Black, but Fredrick (no e after the d) and Guthrie are 3rd years. Still, we did not play many true frosh this season or Rs-F. Played more true frosh in 2016. On offense, we got very little at skill positions from Babers' recruits. Culpepper and Moe Neal were Shafer's. So, maybe those currently red shirting will impress us soon? .

You could add Robinson and Black, but Fredrick (no e after the d) and Guthrie are 3rd years. Still, we did not play many true frosh this season or Rs- . Played more true frosh in 2016. On offense, we got very little at skill positions from Babers' recruits. Culpepper and Moe Neal were Shafer's. So, maybe those currently red shirting will impress us soon? .

I think you would agree though that having a one legged Coleman and Guthrie/berry (a juco lb and a juco de) as your ends is not ideal. Robinson was by far the best and was an 11th hour addition. We aren't dealing with a full cupboard to say the least