get rid of FGs | Syracusefan.com

get rid of FGs

You're not making any friends in the Kickers and Punters Union. ;)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

fgs suck and are too easy. get rid of fg posts. i don't know why so many defense first traditionalists want to give teams points when they can't get in the end zone

college kickers aren't very good but they'll get better too
No way - too big a part of the SU offense. I have gotten to love settling for FGs - settling for a punt doesn't have the same ring.

You have to have some sort of scoring alternative, otherwise you would have too many ties, too many overtime games. This isn't soccer.

You have to have some sort of scoring alternative, otherwise you would have too many ties, too many overtime games. This isn't soccer.
overtime games stop teams from kicking FGs after however many rounds to end the game sooner

i don't know why there'd be more 14-14 ties than 13-13 ties.

Get rid of extra points too so teams have to go for two. Boom, problem solved.

A possible alternative - have FGs count 2 points and safeties count 3. Less of a reward for not getting a TD and more of a reward for a great defensive play.

I would like to see the drop kick return. Talk about a surprise play.
I believe a drop kick is still legal. I think it fell out of favor as the shape of the ball became pointier.

what would the game be like if you got rid of kicking completely? would losing a kickoff that results in a score once a year be worse than just giving the team the ball at the 25 which is what the better teams do anyway?

losing 10-15 punts a game would change the way teams attack on offense force them to go after field position

and the XP should be changed to a sliding scale. 1 pt from the 1, 2pts from the 2, 3 pts from the 5 , 4 from the 10 and beyond.
do we need to create scholorships for kids who cant play football but can only hike and kick?

I didn't read all of this article (some of us have to actually work), so it may have been in there, but didn't I read somewhere that the NFL is most likely going to be reducing the width of the goal posts due to the high % of made FGs?

I think there should just be one bar. You have to hit it. Keeps everyone gainfully employed.

what would the game be like if you got rid of kicking completely? would losing a kickoff that results in a score once a year be worse than just giving the team the ball at the 25 which is what the better teams do anyway?

losing 10-15 punts a game would change the way teams attack on offense force them to go after field position

and the XP should be changed to a sliding scale. 1 pt from the 1, 2pts from the 2, 3 pts from the 5 , 4 from the 10 and beyond.
do we need to create scholorships for kids who cant play football but can only hike and kick?
i'm with you. touchdown, no replay for extra point, immediately to commercial, worthless kick out back of endzone, commercial, next series finally see the replay. all worthless.

i don't think you need to ban punting though. someday coaches will be less stupid about it

I didn't read all of this article (some of us have to actually work), so it may have been in there, but didn't I read somewhere that the NFL is most likely going to be reducing the width of the goal posts due to the high % of made FGs?

I think there should just be one bar. You have to hit it. Keeps everyone gainfully employed.

There was an experiment during last week's Pro Bowl.

Everybody hated it.

How about the goal posts are not parallel but narrow into the shape of a triangle? Maybe an equelateral one but not necessarily.

How about the goal posts are not parallel but narrow into the shape of a triangle? Maybe an equelateral one but not necessarily.
AP1011171109951.jpg

Assume you'd also be OK with no longer calling the sport "football."

Gridiron is a fine name, and more accurate anyway.

This is remarkable...

"For all the talk of West Coast offenses, the invention of the pro formation, the wildcat, 5-wide sets, the rise of the pass-catching tight-end, Bill Walsh, the Greatest Show On Turf, and the general recognition that passing, passing and more passing is the best way to score in football, half the improvement in scoring in the past 50-plus years of NFL history has come solely from field-goal kickers kicking more accurately."

Despite counting an autographed picture of Adam Viniatieiri as one of my most-cherished sports possessions, I'm all in favor of eliminating kicking from the game.

Millhouse said:
i'm with you. touchdown, no replay for extra point, immediately to commercial, worthless kick out back of endzone, commercial, next series finally see the replay. all worthless. i don't think you need to ban punting though. someday coaches will be less stupid about it

Your not seeing a dime from those commercials - but I'd bet they are far from worthless ;)

Adam Vinateri missed 2 XPs from the 15 with 14 feet wide goal posts rather than the current 18 feet goalposts.

This suggestion to get rid of FGs is dumb and just reeks of too much thinking. FGs are part of the game, suggestion to the OP go enjoy Arena football if you want passing/running no punting and very little FGs.

I want them to make it more interesting.

Kick an extra point from the 20=1 point
30=2 points
40=3 points
50=4 points
60=5 points
your down by 3 with 30 seconds left in the game do you go for the tie at the 40 or just end it here with a 50? your up by 2 with 4 mins left to go but your defense isnt playing well how many points do you go for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom