Getting optimistic about Lester's Offense | Syracusefan.com

Getting optimistic about Lester's Offense

Crusty

Living Legend
It goes without saying that we have no idea how well the new offense will do this season. However, the more I hear about it, coupled with the enthusiasm of the players, the more optimistic I am getting. One thing seems certain - we can't be worse than last year!

I recommend you check out the ESPN radio interview in the audio vault. It is 13 minutes.

Lester is heavily influenced by Mike Shanahan's Denver Broncos running game with some option principles and West Coast type short to intermediate passing. Sounds a lot like Rich Rod.

I think our personnel fits this style better and will be even more so next year. Success will probably depend on a 100% commitment to good zone blocking featuring backs with vision that can make the first man miss and then take advantage of the downfield blocking. (Both Morris and McFarland has good vision.)

Hunt can handle the many bootlegs this offense will have and our backs can run the jet sweeps and stretch runs. Receivers will have to emerge to run the bootleg side vertical routes and the medium depth high/low crossing routes. By all accounts H-backs and TE's will feature heavily.

This offense is horizontally oriented and will be less dependent on vertical passing to stretch the field. This sounds like a very simple system to learn with simpler reads. Lester seems confident that the guys are learning the system quickly and soon should be ready to just play.

I'm psyched.
Go Lester!
Go Orange!

Crusty said:
It goes without saying that we have no idea how well the new offense will do this season. However, the more I hear about it, coupled with the enthusiasm of the players, the more optimistic I am getting. One thing seems certain - we can't be worse than last year! I recommend you check out the ESPN radio interview in the audio vault. It is 13 minutes. Lester is heavily influenced by Mike Shanahan's Denver Broncos running game with some option principles and West Coast type short to intermediate passing. Sounds a lot like Rich Rod. I think our personnel fits this style better and will be even more so next year. Success will probably depend on a 100% commitment to good zone blocking featuring backs with vision that can make the first man miss and then take advantage of the downfield blocking. (Both Morris and McFarland has good vision.) Hunt can handle the many bootlegs this offense will have and our backs can run the jet sweeps and stretch runs. Receivers will have to emerge to run the bootleg side vertical routes and the medium depth high/low crossing routes. By all accounts H-backs and TE's will feature heavily. This offense is horizontally oriented and will be less dependent on vertical passing to stretch the field. This sounds like a very simple system to learn with simpler reads. Lester seems confident that the guys are learning the system quickly and soon should be ready to just play. I'm psyched. Go Lester! Go Orange!

Agreed. I'm really excited to see how Phillips and Broyld are used. Interesting stuff.

Thing with Shanahan and, as an extension, Kubiak zone blocking is the ability to properly cut block. Will we do that? Can we do that?

It goes without saying that we have no idea how well the new offense will do this season. However, the more I hear about it, coupled with the enthusiasm of the players, the more optimistic I am getting. One thing seems certain - we can't be worse than last year!

I recommend you check out the ESPN radio interview in the audio vault. It is 13 minutes.

Lester is heavily influenced by Mike Shanahan's Denver Broncos running game with some option principles and West Coast type short to intermediate passing. Sounds a lot like Rich Rod.

I think our personnel fits this style better and will be even more so next year. Success will probably depend on a 100% commitment to good zone blocking featuring backs with vision that can make the first man miss and then take advantage of the downfield blocking. (Both Morris and McFarland has good vision.)

Hunt can handle the many bootlegs this offense will have and our backs can run the jet sweeps and stretch runs. Receivers will have to emerge to run the bootleg side vertical routes and the medium depth high/low crossing routes. By all accounts H-backs and TE's will feature heavily.

This offense is horizontally oriented and will be less dependent on vertical passing to stretch the field. This sounds like a very simple system to learn with simpler reads. Lester seems confident that the guys are learning the system quickly and soon should be ready to just play.

I'm psyched.
Go Lester!
Go Orange!

If you're psyched and excited about the direction of the offense, don't bother going to the other thread on this topic, it will only bring you down.

Another reason to get excited about it: RW is going to be weeeeeeell ahead of the curve learning the offense before he even sets foot on campus. Sounds like he'll be running the offense this fall, so between that and his getting to campus in January, he should be BEYOND where we would normally expect a true freshman to be in terms of knowing the offense.

Crusty and I had targeted 2015 as a breakout year a long time ago. My confidence has wavered on that, but that doesn't really change anything. How confident the players are does. It's good that we should have some less challenging games early in the season. Hopefully that sets the tone for a successful year with an above average offense that puts points on the board.

Another movie I've seen before so I can't get excited until I see that it works.

When I first started reading the tweets from that interview, I thought they were pulling from old Brian Pariani pieces. Then I realized there wasn't Twitter back then so I actually got a little depressed.

Edit: I see that this topic was covered in the other thread.

I just want to share that some of us were told back in March that when this Offense was being installed it shredded the defense all day long. In fact some of the D coaches were a little aggravated. This was from someone who was there to watch the practice.

CuseLegacy said:
I just want to share that some of us were told back in March that when this Offense was being installed it shredded the defense all day long. In fact some of the D coaches were a little aggravated. This was from someone who was there to watch the practice.

Now I feel worse about all the personnel we have to replace on D.

This is definitely going to be a marathon, not a sprint for this staff. Biggest question will be how optimistic, patient, and supportive the new AD is.

Dontae Strickland, Erv Phillips, Broyld, Ishmael.

We have the stars at the skills positions.

Not to mention talent like estime, mcfarlane, morris, cornelius, avant, custis etc. who, if Terrell can take a step this year, can do damage in each of their own ways.

Haha, can't tell if that's reassuring or scary.

Makes you wonder how vanilla they kept it for the Spring Game.

gulp----koolaid----been drinking it for years--good going down, bad coming up.- i will still be at SOME of the home games

Just saw this was covered in your post in another thread - sorry.

I know some would say that could be because our D is in tough shape and Lester knows our D, but I don't think last year's O would not have posed any problems for this year's D. I'm in your camp on this.

Last edited:
Just saw this was covered in your post in another thread - sorry.

I know some would say that could be because our D is in tough shape and Lester knows our D, but I don't think last year's O would not have posed any problems for this year's D. I'm in your camp on this.

From my interpretation of what I was told I would compare the Offense to GT. Not in what they run but rather most teams aren't used to playing against it so that it is hard for them to prepare for it.

From my interpretation of what I was told I would compare the Offense to GT. Not in what they run but rather most teams aren't used to playing against it so that it is hard for them to prepare for it.
That is what I understand as well, but I am not plugged in like you. Shanahan tried to get the D running horizontally and getting out of position and then, when the safeties cheated, beat them vertically. By playing concepts rather than plays from multiple formations, the D never knows what is coming becasue the formation doesn't really give you any answers. Tight ends become very important. They can block, run short and medium crossing patterns or sit and be safety valves. I expect to see a lot of double wing formations.

It is going to be interesting.

Another reason to get excited about it: RW is going to be weeeeeeell ahead of the curve learning the offense before he even sets foot on campus. Sounds like he'll be running the offense this fall, so between that and his getting to campus in January, he should be BEYOND where we would normally expect a true freshman to be in terms of knowing the offense.

That helps, but RBs are the easiest players to plug in as freshmen anyway. If he's as good as advertised, I bet he plays right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom