Gillon is a huge get | Syracusefan.com

Gillon is a huge get

kcsu

Living Legend
I have spent sometime looking at both Mullins and Gillon highlights and i believe that we came out on top with Gillon. Mullins seems like a good player but didnt play against much comp and looks to be another Frank type player. Yes he has more length on D but next years team needs O much more than another tall G at the top.

Gillon can play both the 1 and 2. He has a great handle, will be our best three point shooter next year including Mali if he returns, adds speed that we have not seen since Bug Williams and brings a maturity to the locker room. This kid is a great get for us and i can see him playing a significant if not leading role on next years team.

will be our best three point shooter next year including Mali if he returns, .

images.jpg
download (1).jpg

definitely wouldn't call him a pure shooter, but other teams certainly can't leave him open and can't afford to sag off him either... he also appears to be very adept at the P&R - I can see him and Robey having a feast with that

Seems like he has a pure stroke. Square, great rotation on the ball, waves it good bye and has NBA range. What i like about him is that he can take you off the dribble or with the jumper plus he doesnt miss foul shots. Man if Mali comes back we are going to have some fun!

I know it's too much to ask for JB to routinely press for 5 minutes a game by throwing Chukwa and this kid in and letting them have at it.

Absolutely LOVE this kid's handle / speed. He'll be a one-man press breaker.

Also love having guards who can break things down off the dribble. Chukwu is going to get two alley oop passes every game just from the defense reacting to this kid's dribble penetrations. We haven't had this dimension to our offense in a long time--probably since Flynn.

Gillon seemed really adept at finding the open guy after the defense rotated to cut off his drives, his assist totals are going to sky rocket here.

Also loved the shooting range, his ability to finish through contact with either hand, and his floater.

Offensively, this was a five-star pickup.

Absolutely LOVE this kid's handle / speed. He'll be a one-man press breaker.

Also love having guards who can break things down off the dribble. Chukwu is going to get two alley oop passes every game just from the defense reacting to this kid's dribble penetrations. We haven't had this dimension to our offense in a long time--probably since Flynn.

Gillon seemed really adept at finding the open guy after the defense rotated to cut off his drives, his assist totals are going to sky rocket here.

Also loved the shooting range, his ability to finish through contact with either hand, and his floater.

Offensively, this was a five-star pickup.
Looks like a one and done player to me.

I think he is a nice pick up for depth, but remember these are highlight videos. A Trevor Cooney highlight video would get you guys jumping for joy and most SU fans hated that guy. I'm not sure Mullins played against less competition. There are plays here that would never happen in the ACC. How many times does the pass at 0:50 in that highlight video get converted for a dunk on the other end in the ACC? 99.5%? More?

Point is, he's a complementary piece providing depth. Don't set him up for failure by expecting Steph Curry.

I think he is a nice pick up for depth, but remember these are highlight videos. A Trevor Cooney highlight video would get you guys jumping for joy and most SU fans hated that guy. I'm not sure Mullins played against less competition. There are plays here that would never happen in the ACC. How many times does the pass at 0:50 in that highlight video get converted for a dunk on the other end in the ACC? 99.5%? More?

Point is, he's a complementary piece providing depth. Don't set him up for failure by expecting Steph Curry.

True, it is a highlight video, but I'm reacting not to the highlights but rather the skill he is demonstrating. I.E., the handle, the ability to finish, the vision on drive-and-dishes, the shooting range.

There's a LOT to be excited about with this kid. He is more than just a depth guy--I'll be shocked if he doesn't start.

HoustonCuse said:
I think he is a nice pick up for depth, but remember these are highlight videos. A Trevor Cooney highlight video would get you guys jumping for joy and most SU fans hated that guy. I'm not sure Mullins played against less competition. There are plays here that would never happen in the ACC. How many times does the pass at 0:50 in that highlight video get converted for a dunk on the other end in the ACC? 99.5%? More? Point is, he's a complementary piece providing depth. Don't set him up for failure by expecting Steph Curry.

OMG, you're so negative!!

Just kidding. Kind of.

He's a complementary piece if Malachi returns. If not, he's going to play 20 minutes a game. Howard is far from a finished product offensively.

True, it is a highlight video, but I'm reacting not to the highlights but rather the skill he is demonstrating. I.E., the handle, the ability to finish, the vision on drive-and-dishes, the shooting range.

There's a LOT to be excited about with this kid. He is more than just a depth guy--I'll be shocked if he doesn't start.

That's what I'm interested in - does he start? He looks talented enough for sure. Not sure how JB plays this. Frank has been expecting to be the starter; do you disappoint a 4 yr guy to appease a rental? Then again, this kid as a 6th man would be electric.

That's what I'm interested in - does he start? He looks talented enough for sure. Not sure how JB plays this. Frank has been expecting to be the starter; do you disappoint a 4 yr guy to appease a rental? Then again, this kid as a 6th man would be electric.

On a team with final four aspirations, check the egos at the door and do what it takes to support the team / your teammates. Whether Frank starts or not, he's bound to play tons of minutes spelling both backcourt positions--especially if Mali goes.

Agreed. This isn't a high school H.S. highlight tape as well. He was successful in a pretty good league in the Mountain West. Looks like a well-rounded guard with good speed like you said with lots of positive attributes to his game. He isn't timid which I love. We have been dealing with a myriad of guards/point guards lately without speed and who get sucked into playing more east-west rather than downhill. He doesn't seem to be the type who will need tons of screens to get freed up and run the offense whenever he is asked to do so. Love the addition of him.

definitely wouldn't call him a pure shooter, but other teams certainly can't leave him open and can't afford to sag off him either... he also appears to be very adept at the P&R - I can see him and Robey having a feast with that
I think if anyone is expecting him to be any sort of primary 3 pt shooter, you will be disappointed. All he needs is to be capable in that regard to keep the D honest. I wouldnt want him taking more than 3 attempts a game from distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom