Gillon is a huge get | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Gillon is a huge get

There haven't been very many transfers that have left SU and been successful.

Depends on your passing grade. By my notes at least 14 players who transferred out have averaged +10 ppg with their new team. Best was Keith Hughes with nearly 20 ppg with Rutgers.

Last edited:
There haven't been very many transfers that have left SU and been successful.

Seems like there have been a decent number although maybe not at schools at a Big East -ACC level. Bobby Lazor, Glenn Sekunda, Earl Duncan, Keith Hughes, Tony Bland, Rock Lloyd, Rich Manning, everyone's favorite Deshaun Williams and Anthony Harris to name a few all went on to eventually have solid seasons at new schools.

Seems like there have been a decent number although maybe not at schools at a Big East -ACC level. Bobby Lazor, Glenn Sekunda, Earl Duncan, Keith Hughes, Tony Bland, Rock Lloyd, Rich Manning, everyone's favorite Deshaun Williams and Anthony Harris to name a few all went on to eventually have solid seasons at new schools.

I guess what I meant to say that we don't lose many guys that could end up being difference makers for us down the road.

And for that list there's other guys that just fell off the map for whatever reason.

I guess what I meant to say that we don't lose many guys that could end up being difference makers for us down the road.

And for that list there's other guys that just fell off the map for whatever reason.

See you were just waiting to take a shot at Mark Konecny! :)

Conversely, when was the last time a kid commited to SU and DIDN'T get high praise as "fantastic get" or "love his..." or "he'll fit right in". Point is sometimes there are to many oragne tinted glasses reporting on a kid.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

See you were just waiting to take a shot at Mark Konecny! :)

I'm not even sure what college he finished at. I guess Matt Roe would have to be the guy that left that probably hurt us the most, but before my time.

For sure. Guys like MeShaun, Bland, Lloyd, etc., proved they could actually ball and compete here. Not KJ.

Conversely, when was the last time a kid commited to SU and DIDN'T get high praise as "fantastic get" or "love his..." or "he'll fit right in". Point is sometimes there are to many oragne tinted glasses reporting on a kid.

Not remotely true, based upon historical precedent.

We've also had reports from various posters that have indicated that they don't see a kid projected as a 2017 lottery pick playing here next year or getting time over incumbents, and that Gillon is a 10 mpg player. People need to decide for themselves which posters' assessments they trust, and take the rest with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I think some are missing the mark on KJo.

He had a better freshmen year then sophmore, and main part of that was nobody to feed the ball to in the mid/low post. The loss of Rak left him with nothing, and he just wasn't good enough of a finisher in the low post to overcome a clogged paint. He had nice speed with the ball in his hands, just got caught in the wrong system this year, and next. If Dajuan went up strong this last year, maybe he could have had some run, but Howard probably still would have jumped him at s0me point reguardless. Now we will never know.

Excited about Gillon though, hes another finisher in the paint, who finishes with the left, and has a slight floater in the lane. Our backcourt is going to do alot of perimeter driving and that is key in keeping Lydon's fouls for aggressive weakside defense next to Chuckwu.

Sorry RF but it is 100% true. The second a guy signs his name that he's coming to Syracuse the consensus is that he's great and every single one of their abilities is magnified to unrealistic expectations.

It works the other way too, it happens in EVERY recruiting thread. If a player has Syracuse on his list he is amazing and would be perfect for our team. The second he drops us off the list or goes to another team, the guy is garbage and we didn't need him.

I understand people get excited about recruits and transfers but outside of a select few, the rest of the fan base is borderline clueless about these guys.

I like Frank Howard, but he has a long way to go to be a regular contributor. You can't shoot 10% from three and under 30% inside the arc. But around here is the best distributor we've had since Kennedy was president, all with less than a 2/1 assist/TO ratio.

Matthew Moyer, seems like a great great kid. Is he even going to play? With Lydon and Roberson here and the center position locked up, in as many minutes as he gets how could he even fill half the expectations that have already been hyped around here? Dude might not play 20 minutes a game, and way way less if his game isn't at the level it needs to be.

we NEVER have this type of dude on our team, and just for that Im excited. A small water bug speed burner in the mold of Kareem Reid or Travis Ford (with better shooting).

If you watch the highlights carefully, you'll also notice one thing that he brings to the table we are in serious need of...

A skilled entry pass maker.

We've also had reports from various posters that have indicated that they don't see a kid projected as a 2017 lottery pick playing here next year or getting time over incumbents, and that Gillon is a 10 mpg player. People need to decide for themselves which posters' assessments they trust, and take the rest with a grain of salt.

In RF2044 we trust. Well, at least I do. Good post, as usual.

Dave, No offense but its like my Uncle Sol used to say to me "I think you have a lot of talent but its been misdirected .."
My mom used to say, " maybe we should put a mirror in front of your face so you can see yourself talk all day". It doesn't make sense, but I know what she meant. :)

I remember a stat on Gbinijes last 12 games his jr year. He averaged 17.7 ppg.

Gillons last 12 games he averaged
16.25 ppg, averaging over 30 mpg shooting 46% from the field averaging 6.9 foul attempts per game at 83%, with 3.8 assists and 40% from three. (a few of these stats reflect leaving out the fresno state game-so 11 out of the last 12)

Not to bad.

Last edited:
I rememeber a stat on Gbinijes last 12 games his jr year. He averaged 17.7 ppg.

Gillons last 12 games he averaged
16.25 ppg, averaging over 30 mpg shooting 46% from the field averaging 6.9 foul attempts per game at 83%, with 3.8 assists
Not to bad.

And he's going to sit behind a 29% shooter. Come on...

Sorry RF but it is 100% true. The second a guy signs his name that he's coming to Syracuse the consensus is that he's great and every single one of their abilities is magnified to unrealistic expectations.

It works the other way too, it happens in EVERY recruiting thread. If a player has Syracuse on his list he is amazing and would be perfect for our team. The second he drops us off the list or goes to another team, the guy is garbage and we didn't need him.

I understand people get excited about recruits and transfers but outside of a select few, the rest of the fan base is borderline clueless about these guys.

I like Frank Howard, but he has a long way to go to be a regular contributor. You can't shoot 10% from three and under 30% inside the arc. But around here is the best distributor we've had since Kennedy was president, all with less than a 2/1 assist/TO ratio.

Matthew Moyer, seems like a great great kid. Is he even going to play? With Lydon and Roberson here and the center position locked up, in as many minutes as he gets how could he even fill half the expectations that have already been hyped around here? Dude might not play 20 minutes a game, and way way less if his game isn't at the level it needs to be.

#1, It isn't even close to being "100% true." Remember when MCW committed, the famous thread were several posters were bemoaning taking him when Tony Wroten was still out there expressing interest in SU? Remember when Andy Rautins committed? There are plenty of times when the board consensus isn't that "...he's great and every single one of their abilities is magnified to unrealistic expectations."

#2, we tend to recruit mostly 5-star or high 4-star caliber talent. There are exceptions, but in general that's our sweet spot. These guys are generally top 100 recruits, often toward the top end of those ratings, and generally are very good athletes. So yeah--people get excited by their potential. Justifiably so, in most cases.

#3, as I posted yesterday, it isn't difficult to discern which posters know what they are talking about when it comes to player assessment, what's happening behind the scenes with the program, X's and O's, etc. The rest is white noise. It is up to everyone to decide for themselves which perspectives to pay attention to.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Actually, if you tried to write that while wearing orange tinted glasses, you would not have been able to see what you wrote. So obviously you NEVER wear orange tinted glasses.:)

Are you comparing college videos to HS videos.
KJ could not play at the ACC level. Period.

No, I'm saying Colorado State's competition was also less than what we play in the acc. KJ, despite being 'not good,' did play at the acc level. Saying he didn't is like saying Boston college didn't play at the acc level. They did. Just not well. But, semantics and all that. We are all hoping Gillon is an unexpected star for us. I'm just stuck on the prediction that JB will jump Howard/Battle for him, before they've ever worked out. But hey, if the Pay Side Geniuses say so, so be it.

Actually, if you tried to write that while wearing orange tinted glasses, you would not have been able to see what you wrote. So obviously you NEVER wear orange tinted glasses.:)

Yeah, I took them off to make the post.

#1, It isn't even close to being "100% true." Remember when MCW committed, the famous thread were several posters were bemoaning taking him when Tony Wroten was still out there expressing interest in SU? Remember when Andy Rautins committed? There are plenty of times when the board consensus isn't that "...he's great and every single one of their abilities is magnified to unrealistic expectations."

I don't disagree with your last two points at all. I've only been around here for a few years and lurked a while before that. The two guys you mentioned, one was about a decade ago and the other committed 6 years ago. Maybe things have evolved over the past couple of years but what I explained in my post that you replied to is pretty much spot on when it comes to incoming recruits.

we all hit and miss some times.
Alot of us were ready to throw Dion off the buss after his freshmen year and ending the season with 18 against marquette and averaging 9 plus ppg the last nine games of the season. I had him pegged as a sensation soph preseason.
But few of us foresaw Fab Melo would be the problem child instead.

some of us thought roberson would have more nba potential then Jerami Grant, doubtful but it could still happen.
Some of us thought Ennis was the greatest thing ever. He was pretty special but the team still lost 6 of its last 9 all few turnovers and the ability to get the ball past half court aside.

I really thought Kaleb was going to be special for us someday, and wouldn't be suprised one bit if Buss Patterson has a hell of a season wherever hes at. Imo Buss had the potential to be one of our top 5 best guard defenders since the likes of Jason Hart (not saying he would have been but the potential was there).

Then there was McCullough some of us thought 1/3 of the way into the season he was amazing others thought he just was to skinny to go up strong, without enough of a jumper yet.

Heck still wrapping my mind around Plumlee standing next to Lydon and scratching my head as we still pulled off the win.

The list goes on and on. The guessing game is alot of fun, but nobody knows anything about Gillon for sure yet. We don't know abotu him in practice let alone games. He may be speedy gonzalez against the MWC but the ACC compared to that is like upstate ny high school ball vs good AAU ball.

Last edited:
Check out my brand new Q & A with Gillon. He was very outspoken and extremely confident. He expects to make a big impact next season in a big role.

http://.com/driving-the-lane-with-john-gillon/

Wow Goosebumps.

#2, we tend to recruit mostly 5-star or high 4-star caliber talent. There are exceptions, but in general that's our sweet spot. These guys are generally top 100 recruits, often toward the top end of those ratings, and generally are very good athletes. So yeah--people get excited by their potential. Justifiably so, in most cases.

Between losing BJ Johnson, Patterson and Joseph, together with scholarship restrictions, we have been forced to scrape up the best of the rest. Those transfer we lost reflect badly on staff. They picked the wrong guys and have put us in a hole. Now we are chasing/capturing Gillon (0 Star), Mullins (2 Star), Dembele (3-Star), etc. Gillon looks like he will work out, but in JB's 40 years, think of another 2 Star or less that worked out. Doesn't happen often. Keep our fingers crossed. Two3zone is correct, the lack of dissenters on this site is very noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom