Gillon versus Howard | Syracusefan.com

Gillon versus Howard

Dave85

Living Legend
If we keep losing and we get to a point where the NCAA tournament is not possible, then do we or should we play Howard more than Gillon? Or, do we keep playing Gillon hoping we can win the ACC tournament to get a bid?

Do we stop playing Gillon at some point because the NCAA tournament is out of reach?

Last edited:
If we keep losing and we get to a point where the NCAA tournament is not possible, then do we or should we play Howard more than Gillon? Or, do we keep playing Gillon hoping we can win the ACC tournament to get a bid?
Wow. I think JAB goes with who he thinks will help him win this year. I don't think he cares about next season. That being said, my opinion which means nothing, I would play with the limited line up. See what Battle can do as the primary ball handler, see if TL, TR and TT can play together. But I don't see that happen.

I don't think playing Gillon over Howard has anything to do with NCAA prospects.

I don't think playing Gillon over Howard has anything to do with NCAA prospects.

I meant do we stop playing Gillon at some point because the NCAA tournament is out of reach.

I meant do we stop playing Gillon at some point because the NCAA tournament is out of reach.
I understood, but I don't think this is a "week 17 non-playoff team start the rookie QB" scenario.

All I know is that they both pick up their dribble in really bad spots for no reason quite often. It's not a very PG like thing to do.

This year may be done but I'm really worried about the next few years. We really need to recruit a quality PG. I think our HOF coach retiring in hurting us. The next few years are going to be tough. Maybe giving Howard more playing time if the NCAA tournament is out of reach will help us for next year.

I understood, but I don't think this is a "week 17 non-playoff team start the rookie QB" scenario.

You could be right. But that moment could be coming soon.

Howard got a shot early against UNC and on his first possession he promptly picked up his dribble early, got into trouble and threw a bad pass behind the 3pt line that UNC took the other way for an easy 2 points. On one play he managed to make about 3 huge mistakes. Gillon has issues with his game as well and I have to believe this is one of those "if I had anyone else" situations for JB.

This year may be done but I'm really worried about the next few years. We really need to recruit a quality PG. I think our HOF coach retiring in hurting us. The next few years are going to be tough. Maybe giving Howard more playing time if the NCAA tournament is out of reach will help us for next year.

Neither one is going to be playing the PG spot for us next year so it doesn't really matter.

When the staff is actively trying to get '18 kids to reclassify, I'm just using deductive reasoning.

Well, that would change things. Hopefully our prayers will be answered.

I really thought this year's team was going to be better than the record indicates. Oh well.

Not sure how the staff misread FH pre-season. Nothing but glowing reports. What happened? Can he recover?

Out don't know how you stop playing anyone when you have only three serviceable guards on the roster. It's difficult to imagine JB waving the white flag.

If Howard is the future PG, then I could totally see giving him more playing time. I just don't know that's the case.

But you're right, he's not exactly learning the position by watching Gillon.

I don't think our future PG is currently on the roster...not sure who we could add...but obviously Gillon is gone and Howard has a shorter leash than Robey, which I didn't think was possible...

I think there is a very good chance that Howard transfers...his confidence is shattered and JB does not trust him one bit...

Not sure how the staff misread FH pre-season. Nothing but glowing reports. What happened? Can he recover?

It wasn't just the staff - he looked terrific in our early games. He could shoot, he dribbled decisively, he distributed well, and he was active on defense.

Things have really changed since then.

It wasn't just the staff - he looked terrific in our early games. He could shoot, he dribbled decisively, he distributed well, and he was active on defense.

Things have really changed since then.

Since the horrible charge called against him early in the South Carolina game his confidence in himself has been degrading.

Battle needs to play PG pretty much the entire game for the rest of the season. Howard will not be here next year and gillon obviously won't. Any of the potential frosh we are after aren't really PG either.

Best plan is to roll White at the 2 and hope it works.

No point giving minutes to FH or JG at this point other than to spell Battle. And those mins should be gillon.

JB will play to win now.

Which IMO is the only reason that Howard is getting minutes right now. Gillon can be passed and shot over on defense. He has no midrange game which means teams only need a last line of defense at the rim against his drives while everyone else sags off to play the pass. Gillon can shoot but it takes time and space to get his shot off so teams prefer to let him drive and prove he can hurt them that way. If Gillon had a 10' pullup an 8' floater that he could hit regularly it would change a lot of things but he doesn't seem to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom