give the keys to howard | Syracusefan.com

give the keys to howard

Howard and Battle need to be up top. We're not going to score in the halfcourt anyway, so let's at least use the right personnel on defense, get them used to playing together and hope to get an extra 10 points in transition. Gillon can learn all the slides in the world, but he's still a better fit for the lollipop guild than the 2-3.

I honestly think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment on this front. I hope you're right, courduroyG, but I'm not seeing the lead guard aptitude that so many want to believe is there.

Howard and Battle need to be up top. We're not going to score in the halfcourt anyway, so let's at least use the right personnel on defense, get them used to playing together and hope to get an extra 10 points in transition. Gillon can learn all the slides in the world, but he's still a better fit for the lollipop guild than the 2-3.

Your first sentence was good. The rest of the post was predictably terrible.

want to believe is there.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean those of us who do are imagining it. 'want to believe' comes across a little passive aggressive.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean those of us who do are imagining it. 'want to believe' comes across a little passive aggressive.

No it doesn't -- Frank Howard is my favorite player on the team. You are inferring something that isn't implied.

And yes--if after the last two games you think that Frank is running the team adroitly, I'd say that it is closer to wishful thinking / imagination than reality. He has a LONG way to go before he can be counted upon to run the team against high major competition.

Being objective about his performance isn't "passive aggressive" -- it is being pragmatic. I too hope for the best, for him and the team.

I personally don't see "special" in Frank. I see solid in his future but that's about it.

I guess it's all relative to what "special" means.

No it doesn't -- Frank Howard is my favorite player on the team. You are inferring something that isn't implied.

And yes--if after the last two games you think that Frank is running the team adroitly, I'd say that it is closer to wishful thinking / imagination than reality. He has a LONG way to go before he can be counted upon to run the team against high major competition.

Being objective about his performance isn't "passive aggressive" -- it is being pragmatic. I too hope for the best, for him and the team.

A normal way to put it would have been to say you see something we don't see, or vice versa. "Want to believe," whether you intended it this way or not, comes across like you think those who see the ability in him to do well if given the opportunity are not only wrong, but have no basis for thinking so. Being pragmatic doesn't have anything to do with the passive aggressive part of it.

This team reminds me of the '13 team that had a really rough spot. It is desparately in need of a leader and some decent chemistry

let him run the show and dont yank him after his first bad play. this kid is special, i think he can handle it
He's so special that he could do NOTHING against that kid from Wisconsin. He couldn't get around him on multiple attempts and not to be stereotypical here but Howard should have a significant athleticism and speed advantage over him. Pretty disheartening to me.

A normal way to put it would have been to say you see something we don't see, or vice versa. "Want to believe," whether you intended it this way or not, comes across like you think those who see the ability in him to do well if given the opportunity are not only wrong, but have no basis for thinking so. Being pragmatic doesn't have anything to do with the passive aggressive part of it.
What are you, my English teacher? Lighten up. :cool:

I agree with Jack Hall. This team has a bunch of new parts and a handful of returning players but no one to really look to on the court. Who is going to be the leader?

I also feel like the starting lineup just doesn't work. After watching Roberson the last two games I'd be bringing him off the bench and if he doesn't bring it he can sit back down for TT. Its simply way to late in the game to rely on him to come out of the gate engaged.

This would basically make White a full time forward (he's not a guard anyway) except a minute or two here and there. I'd start Battle and Howard because they are next years backcourt. Let them figure things out with Gillon as a spark plug 3rd guard. That would get all 3 more regular minutes which it looks like they need. The offense to start the game will be much better once Frank and Tyus find their rolls alongside two forwards who can shoot and Coleman who is showing some offense on the block. If Roberson or Thompson are really playing well then Lydon sees more time at the five that game when Coleman sits. You get Chukwu minutes where you can in the easy games. Maybe think about playing Thompson at the 5 some.

Back to Jack Hall's point though! Who's it going to be that takes the reigns of this team on the court? I don't see White, Roberson or Lydon being that guy, in fact they are the ones that need that guy to get them to do the following. White to play withing the offense, Roberson to play fired up and Lydon to be more aggressive offensively. To me Frank is the guy that needs to do it. He needs to look at his own play correct things and start to verbally expect that form the others. I'm not sure he's emotionally mature enough for that at this point though. Coleman can help here but he's a post guy.

What is the alternative? John Gillon running the team? Again, and I know I'm a broken record at this point, but it's MORE wishful thinking after the last two games to believe Gillon can run it effectively.
And watching a player (Frankie) over two years, picking up on their potential while watching them grow and then extrapolating that to potential does not = "want to believe".
just sayin'

He's so special that he could do NOTHING against that kid from Wisconsin. He couldn't get around him on multiple attempts and not to be stereotypical here but Howard should have a significant athleticism and speed advantage over him. Pretty disheartening to me.
Why?

If you just look at the stats, so far this season Howard is the best offensive player on the team. Howard is at 10.7 assists, 3.8 steals, and 2.8 TOs per 40 minutes. That's pretty damn good even if three of the games were against low end competition. He should dominate the South Carolina states of the world, and he did. His assist to TO ratio is pretty good even after having crappy games against USC and Wiscy.

I haven't seen this hasn't been posted yet and have been hesitant to post about it. Also, I haven't watched a replay of the Wisconsin game so I don't know how much of this episode was shown on TV. I was about 10 rows behind the Cuse bench for the Badger game. In the early second half there was a Syracuse turnover right under the WI basket after most of the players were headed the other way. I'm not sure if Howard lost the ball to Happ or if the pass was to Howard and Happ picked it off. Anyway Happ scored a garbage basket and immediately JB motioned to JG to get in the game. Howard saw this substitution coming and immediately become furious and raced to drive with the inbounded ball. JB saw that Howard was furious/out of control and immediately called a time out while Howard was in the middle of a drive to score.

JB started towards Howard to chew him out but Howard wanted nothing to do with JB and ran toward GMAC. Howard yelled loudly to GMAC while pointing at JB the whole time saying that he was hooked by a WI played forcing him to either turn over the ball or not get to the right spot to catch the outlet pass. At this point JB walked to Howard (away from the huddled players on the bench) and I thought JB was going to yell at Howard but JB stood by as Howard yelled at him for being taken out of the game and tried explain the turnover. I was surprised by JB's patience as JB refrained from yelling and tried to calm Howard down. I'm sure JB did not like Howard's reaction to being taken out of the game. Howard then rode the bench for about 10 game time minutes until about the last media timeout.

JB clearly stated his displeasure with Howard because there were several poor plays by JG that normally would mean Howard would have come back into the game. After Howard finally got back into the game at garbage time he jacked up several quick 3's missing all of them. I know players have had visible and heated exchanges with JB in the past but this one may have gone over the line. Will be interesting to see how Howard & JB get along this year.

But he did get around him. Got fouled twice and got called for that ridiculous charge the third time. The other times he started, he realized with Chukwu pitching his tent in there that there was a solid chance he'd run into Chuk's defender so it would be bad.

Frank did three things badly against Wisconsin. 1) He was late rotating on D and never had his hand up on shooters when he finally arrived there. 2) The dunk he attempted was beyond stupid. I love the bravado, but you're 6'5" going against a 6'10" guy. You lose that every time. And finally 3) his reach in foul after the charge was called was unnecessary and completely a frustration foul. Have to be smarter than that if you want to be a leader on the team.

I agree with Jack Hall. This team has a bunch of new parts and a handful of returning players but no one to really look to on the court. Who is going to be the leader?

I also feel like the starting lineup just doesn't work. After watching Roberson the last two games I'd be bringing him off the bench and if he doesn't bring it he can sit back down for TT. Its simply way to late in the game to rely on him to come out of the gate engaged.

This would basically make White a full time forward (he's not a guard anyway) except a minute or two here and there. I'd start Battle and Howard because they are next years backcourt. Let them figure things out with Gillon as a spark plug 3rd guard. That would get all 3 more regular minutes which it looks like they need. The offense to start the game will be much better once Frank and Tyus find their rolls alongside two forwards who can shoot and Coleman who is showing some offense on the block. If Roberson or Thompson are really playing well then Lydon sees more time at the five that game when Coleman sits. You get Chukwu minutes where you can in the easy games. Maybe think about playing Thompson at the 5 some.

Back to Jack Hall's point though! Who's it going to be that takes the reigns of this team on the court? I don't see White, Roberson or Lydon being that guy, in fact they are the ones that need that guy to get them to do the following. White to play withing the offense, Roberson to play fired up and Lydon to be more aggressive offensively. To me Frank is the guy that needs to do it. He needs to look at his own play correct things and start to verbally expect that form the others. I'm not sure he's emotionally mature enough for that at this point though. Coleman can help here but he's a post guy.
I have to agree with you. There are no easy answers but the most logical choice is Howard. In '13 it was our sophomore starting point guard MCW who took on a much larger (and much needed) leadership role at the end of the season after we had a pretty brutal stretch, and he helped lead us to FF. Imo FH needs to man up and really start to lead this team. Good news is as opposed to '13 there is more time for him to step up, he has months to mature into the role . Patience. Like MCW in '13 , FH doesnt have to be the only leader, but someone needs to step up and takes the reigns and it might as well be the guy who needs to be the floor general...Go Cuse

I'm kinda on the side of the fence that says one guy needs to be The Guy, and the other the backup. As it stands, it sorta feels like a 1a and 1b thing, and i think The Guy needs to feel like he has some sort of control. I think it should be Howard, but we need to recognize that as a 6'5" guard, he's not going to be blowing by anyone. Z Sims did pretty well as a senior, without flashy athleticism. It's just going to take Frank some time to figure out how to operate. But, too much of a minutes split, and too many incidents where he's jerked to the pine for a mistake — that's just going to delay his progress. We should already know what Gillon is/will be. How much headroom can he have? I think it should be FH / AW / TL / TR and DC, and the others fill in as needed. Sad to see that Battle isn't The Answer right off the bat, but i expect he's going to come on as we go along. The problem with so much 'balance' is that there isn't enough of a solid set of premier guys. I think Lydon's got to be more demonstrative and take control — playing all over the court. Inside, middle, and outside, and hopefully whoever is defending him can only contain him on one level, not all of them.

And bring in The Real DC for a month's Consulting Fee to work on Chukwu. Intensively. Like a friggin Scared Straight Boot Camp.

And bring in The Real DC for a month's Consulting Fee to work on Chukwu. Intensively. Like a friggin Scared Straight Boot Camp.

DC was so far advanced and had the game of a man much smaller than him, I don't really think it would help 72 that much and would probably frustrate DC to the point where he never came back to Syracuse.

72 needs to learn and practice the absolute basics until they become natural to him. Hell, at this point blocking shots isn't natural to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom