Give Tim Lester His Own Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Give Tim Lester His Own Thread

Daoust is DC at Ball State. My thought is he will stay in Ohio. I think I saw that Bullough is involved with the fb program at Michigan State? And isn't Wolfgang a senior this year?

Ball State is in Muncie Indiana and David Letterman is greatly offended ;)

Of course he had one season here.

Dino has made clear that it takes at least a year and a half for players to figure out a new offense.

And, his offense had some pretty decent moments in 2015.
Wasn't Lester the OC for 1.5 years though. He took over after the 2014 UL(ISIS) game.

Interestingly, despite not many fans when he was here, his offense had a higher points per possession, points per game and yards per play than the 2016 team. Popcorn and soda

Quick update - you should probably drop the points per game from your argument due to the inclusion of D/ST TD's as has been discussed. But yards per play needs updating too:

Yards per play 2015: 5.11
Yards per play 2016: 5.45

Dino has made clear that it takes at least a year and a half for players to figure out a new offense.

Lester's offense would have needed 12 quarters to put up 61 pts at Pitt.

HIS offense takes that long. I don't think Babers was talking about Lester lol.

Art Briles offense was considered a high school offense when he brought it to Baylor.

Art Briles offense was considered a high school offense when he brought it to Baylor.
Art Briles had gone 34-28 at Houston. Rebuilding them back up before he went to Baylor. Briles made Kevin Kolb a lot money coaching him at Houston.
Good luck to Lester but he isn't in Briles league yet.

Art Briles had gone 34-28 at Houston. Rebuilding them back up before he went to Baylor. Briles made Kevin Kolb a lot money coaching him at Houston.
Good luck to Lester but he isn't in Briles league yet.
That is true. We will see what he can do in a league where he has the superior talent.

Lester's offense would have needed 12 quarters to put up 61 pts at Pitt.

Maybe.

And maybe his offense would have helped prevent Pitt from scoring 75.

He did not install his offense in 2014.
That back half of 2014 is what hurt Lester IMO.
Even with our QB situation the game plans and play of the offense was so bad.
I wish I could link the game thread to the 2014 Pitt game after we had been on a bye.
Lester did a decent job in 2015 and I wish well at WMU. Truly but I don't miss him at SU as I love the upside Dino gives me.

Maybe.

And maybe his offense would have helped prevent Pitt from scoring 75.

This is exactly what fans need to let go of. It's a trade-off - high tempo, higher scoring will absolutely result in higher scores for the opposing offense. It's math. More possessions = more points.

No doubt that running the Lester/Shafer offense results in less possessions for both teams. But that's not what we've signed up for with Babers. The sooner we get to grading the defense on the appropriate curve, the sooner we can all have the same conversation around here.

This is exactly what fans need to let go of. It's a trade-off - high tempo, higher scoring will absolutely result in higher scores for the opposing offense. It's math. More possessions = more points.

No doubt that running the Lester/Shafer offense results in less possessions for both teams. But that's not what we've signed up for with Babers. The sooner we get to grading the defense on the appropriate curve, the sooner we can all have the same conversation around here.
it's worth having a few horrific games where better teams get more shots at us if it means we're building something where we don't have to plan to be inferior to everyone

I believe that 75 points will never result in a passing grade - no matter what the curve.

The question that somebody else raised was the comparison between Babers' offense and Lester's offense as it pertains to the Pitt game.

The response, though perhaps not fitting with your chosen football culture or your assessment of where football is or should be, is a fair one.

it's worth having a few horrific games where better teams get more shots at us if it means we're building something where we don't have to plan to be inferior to everyone

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all in with Dino.

But this post just sounds like a pronounced rationalization.

Hope you're right.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all in with Dino.

But this post just sounds like a pronounced rationalization.

Hope you're right.
this offense has a higher floor and a higher ceiling. some guaranteed losses are lost by a higher margin. i don't really care about that.

I believe that 75 points will never result in a passing grade - no matter what the curve.

The question that somebody else raised was the comparison between Babers' offense and Lester's offense as it pertains to the Pitt game.

The response, though perhaps not fitting with your chosen football culture or your assessment of where football is or should be, is a fair one.

I agree. Our defense was bad and would have lost us a bunch of games regardless of tempo and increased possessions.

But a 2 TD loss in the Babers era = a one TD loss in the Shafer era, almost solely on the increase in tempo/possessions. But what makes this offense interesting is that as we get better on both sides of the ball, the pressure will increase on the opposing team to keep up. Narduzzi just lost his #1 RB and #1 QB to graduation and his OC to LSU. I'm very bullish on winning our game at home next year - especially if it falls late in the the schedule.

this offense has a higher floor and a higher ceiling. some guaranteed losses are lost by a higher margin. i don't really care about that.

I guess that's where we differ.

I preferred the 2015 Clemson game to the horrific loss this year.

I guess that's where we differ.

I preferred the 2015 Clemson game to the horrific loss this year.

They were both L's. Which is all that matters.
There's no such thing as style points in football. Particularly in a loss.

How about the 2014 Clemson loss? That was a nice, close one. Fun! :p
Or 2013? Another blowout.

They all counted as one L each.

They were both L's. Which is all that matters.
There's no such thing as style points in football. Particularly in a loss.

How about the 2014 Clemson loss? That was a nice, close one. Fun! :p
Or 2013? Another blowout.

They all counted as one L each.

The subject matter was Tim Lester's offense.

When he had full control of the offense in 2015, I had a lot more fun watching us hang in there and challenge LSU and Clemson as opposed to watching us get our brains beaten in by Clemson this season.

I'll take the two games from 2015 any time over getting smeared/humiliated on national TV.

With Lester - and a walk-on QB - we showed the U.S.A something against great competition in 2015. I liked that.

The subject matter was Tim Lester's offense.

When he had full control of the offense in 2015, I had a lot more fun watching us hang in there and challenge LSU and Clemson as opposed to watching us get our brains beaten in by Clemson this season.

I'll take the two games from 2015 any time over getting smeared/humiliated on national TV.

With Lester - and a walk-on QB - we showed the U.S.A something against great competition in 2015. I liked that.

We WON vs a Top 25 team in 2016.

I like that a LOT more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom