GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

Think about the year they beat Ohio St in the tournament, or the year they crushed Vanderbilt. I can imagine that three or four players from those teams would easily be persuaded to move up to a bigger conference. How could Siena possibly keep up?.
It’s a tough new world for any mid-major to maintain and keep success, unless you have a coach that is an awesome recruiter..
There are ways to do it. There are more than a handful of low majors who have built and maintained a powerful program in their league. Fairfield might on there way to do it in the MAAC right now.

It won't be easy but I am just under the impression that they have the resources and fan support to be very competitive in the MAAC consistently.

There are ways to do it. There are more than a handful of low majors who have built and maintained a powerful program in their league. Fairfield might on there way to do it in the MAAC right now.

It won't be easy but I am just under the impression that they have the resources and fan support to be very competitive in the MAAC consistently.
I hope so! Definitely need a new coach. Not sure how he has fallen so fast, they won the league a few years ago, Friday night there was little semblance of a team, there were players arguing with the coach. It was a mess.
But they do have great fan support, and hopefully you are right about support from the alums.

I thought it was a mistake for Jamison Christian to leave after one year for George Washington. A bunch of coaches have parlayed success at Siena into big time jobs; George Washington is where careers go to die. His didn’t die, but took a beating and might be in a coma right now.

It’s impressive Carmen Maciariello has lasted as long as he has, since he appeared to be a stop gap hire when Christian left.

Agreed, Siena has been a good spot for success and getting a promotion to a bigger program - unless something structurally changed within the university, it’s a great job. I remember at one point a few years ago when Siena was rolling, I looked up average attendance in the MAAC - they were so far ahead of everyone else it was absurd.
Their average attendance was around 7500, maybe even 8000. More than half the high majors.

Their average attendance was around 7500, maybe even 8000. More than half the high majors.

It makes sense - Albany has had terrible luck with minor league teams, none ever stick around. Siena is the one team a fan in Albany can feel confident won’t relocate or go bankrupt in the next five years -as a result they built a sizable “townie” following.

It makes sense - Albany has had terrible luck with minor league teams, none ever stick around. Siena is the one team a fan in Albany can feel confident won’t relocate or go bankrupt in the next five years -as a result they built a sizable “townie” following.
AB buying the arena team didn’t go well either.

This job is expected to come open this week; any insight if GMac had interest in the past? Is he aiming higher? Would seem like a fit.
Where did you hear that? Imo, he won't be fired. He has two years left on his contract and I don't think Siena will spend the resources ($570K) to buy him out. Maybe next year.

Injuries have plague Siena. Their best two players (Durugordon (he got a waiver to play <10 games ago) and Eley) have been out with hamstring issues. Neither played in the games last weekend. Their roster has nothing after them. Sunday they started two walkons. Siena has fallen victim to NIL and the Portal (first Pickett, then McCollum and Billups; fortunately Eley (MAAC freshman of the rear last season) stayed but he's been injury prone and missed alot of games this season). In past years, imo, those guys were upperclassmen and don't transfer if they had to sit out. Will Siena ever return to the level of the old days. It will be extremely difficult. Siena's past success was always based on a veteran lineup and NIL and the Portal has taken that away. It's happening to other mid majors but I think it's more noticeable at Siena because of their previous long term success.

Would be nice to nudge Gerry out kind of ridiculous he can’t help Taylor speed up his release.
Like I said... never stop posting. You are the " Clown Prince" of the board.

Re: if they are to fire their coach and pay his buyout

Re: if they are to fire their coach and pay his buyout

Siena would be Will Brown's "dream" job. This season, Will is the first year women's head coach at St Rose. With St Rose closing, that job ends. Will's job opportunities are extremely limited as he married a local girl who is extremely reluctant to relocate. Hence, him taking the St Rose women's job. Head coaching opportunities in the Albany area (especially D1) are limited. Only Siena and UAlbany, who fired him a few years back after 21 seasons.

Will Brown to Siena would be interesting. I knew back when UAlbany was clicking, his family was a huge reason why he opted to stay there as opposed to moving on to a bigger program. So Siena would be great for him from that perspective. I think most UAlbany fans think he was done dirty by the new AD when he got fired - but going over to “Loudonville Community College” would be a fantastic heel turn. I would mark the first Siena -UAlbany game on my calendar and make it a point to go back for that game if he became the Siena head coach.

You mean retire at age 66? That's just crazy!:confused::confused:
IMG_2308.jpeg

Will Brown to Siena would be interesting. I knew back when UAlbany was clicking, his family was a huge reason why he opted to stay there as opposed to moving on to a bigger program. So Siena would be great for him from that perspective. I think most UAlbany fans think he was done dirty by the new AD when he got fired - but going over to “Loudonville Community College” would be a fantastic heel turn. I would mark the first Siena -UAlbany game on my calendar and make it a point to go back for that game if he became the Siena head coach.
I'm really rooting for that to happen. Plus, UAlbany has been trash since he was fired.

Would be nice to nudge Gerry out kind of ridiculous he can’t help Taylor speed up his release.

My man, Chip Engelland isn't helping JT with his release speed.

The leaders in that athletic department leave a lot to be desired.

I literally cannot stand Will Brown. He was interviewing for the St. Bonaventure job when they fired Anthony Solomon (who was tasked with cleaning up their scandal mess). Instead of just politely withdrawing his name in a classy manner when he wasn't interested, he went on to say in the Albany papers that taking the Bonaventure job would be career suicide.

Bonnies goes on to hire Mark Schmidt who has been there ever since, is now there all time wins leader and could literally run for mayor and win. Meanwhile Brown has been bumming around the Albany area coaching whatever teams he can find. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom