GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

Their fired coach did well evaluating and getting under recruited talent. Unfortunately for him bigger programs were poaching his best players, the effect bottoming out for him this year with a horrific record.

Tough to build a mid-major now.
It's like a minor league for major programs.
Many top players now want to get into the portal and make it to a big time program.
The game is changing...rapidly.
Not sure it’s that great a job or any in this level would be in this climate.

Have also heard in the past that Gerry had no interest here -- so would be interesting to see

This year they averaged around 5K. When they winning, they averaged around 7K or so. Several years ago, they curtained off the upper level to make it more intimate. I believe it now seats 8K or so. When they were at their peak, they had many games in excess of 10K. During Craig Forth's senior year, I believe they sold out when SU played there.

Btw, it's now the MVP Center.
I had season tickets for a long time but gave up 11 years ago when I started my Syracuse season tickets. Have followed the program pretty closely since the Mike Deane days. Actually even earlier since Billy Kirsch and they were D3. They have one of the best mid major fan followings and a pretty rabid fan base. The MVP arena is 1st class and that's why it hosts top events which the eyes of women's college basketball will find out in two weeks.

i remember mike from oswego. used to play hoops pick up behind onondaga. potsdam guy.
LOL - he was a wild man. Good coach.

I had season tickets for a long time but gave up 11 years ago when I started my Syracuse season tickets. Have followed the program pretty closely since the Mike Deane days. Actually even earlier since Billy Kirsch and they were D3. They have one of the best mid major fan followings and a pretty rabid fan base. The MVP arena is 1st class and that's why it hosts top events which the eyes of women's college basketball will find out in two weeks.
Went to every game of the men’s tournament last year, both days. Great time, great arena for a game.

i remember mike from oswego. asst dorm director. used to play hoops pick up behind onondaga. potsdam grad . the great louis orr also had a run at sienna. great first gig.
Yup. He turned the Oswego program around. I was there his first year at Oswego.

The Siena coach is making $285K. You think Gerry is making more than that?
“Maciariello made $362,450 in reportable compensation in 2021-22, the most recent fgure available.”

Their fired coach did well evaluating and getting under recruited talent. Unfortunately for him bigger programs were poaching his best players, the effect bottoming out for him this year with a horrific record.

Two years ago he was a hot commodity and Siena gave him a big raise to help keep him from leaving. Now he’s fired.

Things like this are a big part of why I don’t get upset when coaches leave for what they think is a better opportunity - they don’t get any loyalty or opportunity to rebuild when a whole lot outside of their control goes wrong, there’s no reason for any coach to be loyal to a school as a result.

Two years ago he was a hot commodity and Siena gave him a big raise to help keep him from leaving. Now he’s fired.

Things like this are a big part of why I don’t get upset when coaches leave for what they think is a better opportunity - they don’t get any loyalty or opportunity to rebuild when a whole lot outside of their control goes wrong, there’s no reason for any coach to be loyal to a school as a result.
Yes, those last couple of years were tough with the players he lost to the portal. It’s caused plenty of very good coaches to quit if they aren’t let go. Developing players over time isn’t a highly coveted skill anymore where both the player and the coach commit to the process.

I know he makes FAR MORE than that

The question is if he wants to be a head coach. Because head coaches make way more than assistants.

All it will take is doing a good job at the first place, and then he can get a big salary bump at his second job.

There are ways to do it. There are more than a handful of low majors who have built and maintained a powerful program in their league. Fairfield might on there way to do it in the MAAC right now.

It won't be easy but I am just under the impression that they have the resources and fan support to be very competitive in the MAAC consistently.

He's not likely to step into a team that is already in great shape. He's more likely to get an offer from someone who just had to fire a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom