GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

I can almost guarantee that the next ass't will be from outside the family. We need a powerful recruiter that could hit say NYC and NJ. Or maybe Philly.

Am I wrong in thinking that someone is already in play for that? (NYC/NJ guy)

“Syracuse associate head coach Gerry McNamara emerged over the weekend as the leading candidate for the Siena men's basketball coaching vacancy, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the search.

McNamara is the leader "at this point," and there should be a final decision by the end of the week, according to one source. Siena still needs to come to terms with McNamara, 40, on salary and other contract details.”

“Syracuse associate head coach Gerry McNamara emerged over the weekend as the leading candidate for the Siena men's basketball coaching vacancy, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the search.

McNamara is the leader "at this point," and there should be a final decision by the end of the week, according to one source. Siena still needs to come to terms with McNamara, 40, on salary and other contract details.”
Emerged on this board first…

Didn’t the NCAA approve to add 2 more assistant coaches to college basketball staffs last year? We don’t seem to have added more assistants like other programs.
I read it on the NCAA site and then on the BYU site too after wondering why when I looked at other program’s men’s basketball coaching sites, they had more assistant than we did. Below are quotes I read online.

“Coaching Staff Limit Expansion

Currently, Men’s and Women’s basketball staffs can include three full-time assistants, a director of basketball operations, and graduate assistants. The NCAA’s new rule in January allows two additional assistant coaches for Men’s and Women’s Basketball, meaning teams can have five assistants.

“The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men’s and women’s basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.”
The new coaching limit rule takes effect on July 1, 2023 — the day BYU officially enters the Big 12. While these coaches can’t recruit off-campus, they can be part of skill instruction, game planning, scouting, and on-campus recruiting.”

Wonder if we were plannng to add more assistants besides the one left empty if GMac leaves, to take advantage of the NCAA additional coach ruling last year? Other programs have added assistants.

Good for Gerry. Syracuse was going to be a dead end for him and any aspirations if he stuck around any longer. He was at the fork in the road professionally if he ever wants to find himself back at SU as a HC.

I'm very curious how Red fills this position now?

Awesome for Gerry. If he kills it there he’s permanently in the mix for our job. MAAC is open every year and they have that big arena and solid casual fanbase great fit and first job.

We desperately need another Straughn. I think the ship has sailed on Hop. But what about Weaver he’s not lasting another year with the Pistons?

This will be very interesting for all involved parties - who does Red turn too and do we miss Gerry's contribution? Does Siena have the means to maintain what is really an excellent basketball tradition? If they do can Gerry get it done. Wishing success for all, but it is getting interesting.

Gerry will be huge loss for this program, but it’s time for him to take a head coaching job. He will do a great job. Gerry was relentless in spending time with players to improve. Hours a day helping players to grow. We need a recruiter, but we also need someone that is tireless in spending time with players to develop their skills. We should have more than enough money to attract a major talent. I’m sure Red already had a list in place months ago. We absolutely have to kill it in the portal. We need upper level talent coming in that meet all the needs we currently lack. Selective and purposeful with whoever they bring in. We need complete players that play on both ends of the court that are tough and leaders. We need a little DART in the basketball program.

In no way do I think that if Gerry does in fact leave, that we absolutely need to replace him with another alum, but Jason Hart is looking for a job now. I assume his name has been mentioned here previously. It does seem like he's a west coast for life guy though, so I'd assume the chances of him coming back to Cuse are pretty slim.

Edited to add that it wouldn't surprise me if he also went the NBA assistant route, if something became available to him.

I’m not sure there’s anyone on this staff that has experience recruiting at a national level. His oldest son would be a good teacher, but I’m not sold on his experience recruiting. I trust Red knows what he’s doing.

be free fly away GIF by Slayter

Didn’t the NCAA approve to add 2 more assistant coaches to college basketball staffs last year? We don’t seem to have added more assistants like other programs.
I read it on the NCAA site and then on the BYU site too after wondering why when I looked at other program’s men’s basketball coaching sites, they had more assistant than we did. Below are quotes I read online.

“Coaching Staff Limit Expansion

Currently, Men’s and Women’s basketball staffs can include three full-time assistants, a director of basketball operations, and graduate assistants. The NCAA’s new rule in January allows two additional assistant coaches for Men’s and Women’s Basketball, meaning teams can have five assistants.

The new coaching limit rule takes effect on July 1, 2023 — the day BYU officially enters the Big 12. While these coaches can’t recruit off-campus, they can be part of skill instruction, game planning, scouting, and on-campus recruiting.”

Wonder if we were plannng to add more assistants besides the one left empty if GMac leaves, to take advantage of the NCAA additional coach ruling last year? Other programs have added assistants.
Seeing other teams at the tourny this year, some squads have a million coaches. Take AZ for example, I think half the bench is a coach in one form or another, to say we are anemic in this area is an understatement.

Straughn is a good recruiter. Autry can recruit too. I prefer someone who checks basketball boxes as a check on Red and can help build a team.
I completely agree. We need someone with new outsiders basketball philosophies to teach better man to man defense and improve and add new offensive sets.

I'm sick of iso ball. Watching the tournament nearly every team runs better offensive sets with constant screening & off the ball player movement creating drives & dishes for open 3's.

Anyone know a timeline for Siena? If GMAC is the man, he needs to start pounding the portal soon. Siena has very little talent on their roster right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom