GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official] | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

GMAC / Blackwell / AO to Siena [Official]

Siena is not an easy job.

success is demanded.

and its demanded quickly.

their fans and alumni all act like theyre dook.

he will have a 1 year honeymoon and year 2 better be 20 wins and/or a near the top of the conf finish with a deep MAAC tourney run and year 3 the same or hes gone.

if he does right in year 1 or 2, id get out then, but success after 3 years must mean a trade up.

imo this is a gamble for him, hes likely making more $$$ at Cuse.

shows great self confidence and balls.

but i guess we shouldnt be surprised.

maybe he will move into Forth's town and the 2 of them will team up to win championship after championship in the local rec over 40 league.
A bit overstated.

I don’t want to get all emotional here (you know tough guy stuff) but GMAC has meant more to this program in multiple ways than just about anyone. This is a sad and happy day all in one but this dude is all Orange and I’d take him back in a NY min. You guys don’t realize how respected he was on the trail…

23 yrs ago I remember the hype as we used to play against Gerry’s BH team in HS BB and he continued to blow up into being a big time recruit for the area. Then came the awesome news a local kid was headed to SU which happened a little before I myself decided to head to the hill for college. Then history of course has been something special in his time in Orange. Incredible memories and Orange royalty. Going to feel very weird with no GMac at SU after all this time

SU/Siena annual game in the dome is now a must.

GMAC, big huge BRO hug. Gonna miss you but glad you are just down the Thruway and not too far away.

And if for some reason, it doesn't work out with Red at Cuse, we now have someone else in the family with head coaching experience to take the reigns.

wont it be like a 4-5 yr contract . pretty much set for life if he wants. do well and on to better things. do poorly you just bank the money

Not that he shouldn't take it because of this reason, but I don't think the HC job at Siena will be a huge pay boost from what he's making as Associate Head Coach at Syracuse. The most recent 990 filing for Siena College had former coach Carmen Maciarello making a salary of $362,450. I know there's other ways that coaches get paid, so that maybe doesn't account for all his earnings, but it's not like GMAC is gonna bank $10M in 4-5 years at Siena.

Wondering if GMAC would throw Benny a lifeline. Can't imagine he's getting much interest in the portal. Would be high risk/reward move. If Benny got the negative stuff out of his head, he could kill it in the MAAC.

Wondering if GMAC would throw Benny a lifeline. Can't imagine he's getting much interest in the portal. Would be high risk/reward move. If Benny got the negative stuff out of his head, he could kill it in the MAAC.

I don't think Gerry is going to bet his success on hoping Benny matures over night. Now bringing kids like Justin or Peter would be a no brainer.

Last edited:
I don't think Gerry is going to bet his success on a hoping Benny matures over night. Now bringing kids like Justin or Peter would be a no brainer.
Yup. Benny will get another shot somewhere, but I can't picture him playing for Siena.

I don't think Gerry is going to bet his success on a hoping Benny matures over night. Now bringing kids like Justin or Peter would be a no brainer.
It really wouldn't be over night. Benny has 1 year of eligibility left, all his hopes and dreams are about to end if he doesn't get some chance to show he's got the message. You save someone's life, they are usually appreciative.

Congrats to Gmac. He wanted to be a head coach and to be only 2 hours away I think is going to be very helpful for many reasons. Gerry is and was Syracuse basketball for a long time. He deserves this and think this is actually a really good fit for him. And 2 good years there and he’s taking over a big program somewhere. Good luck Gerry. Thanks for the memories and all the hard work

Congrats to Gmac. He wanted to be a head coach and to be only 2 hours away I think is going to be very helpful for many reasons. Gerry is and was Syracuse basketball for a long time. He deserves this and think this is actually a really good fit for him. And 2 good years there and he’s taking over a big program somewhere. Good luck Gerry. Thanks for the memories and all the hard work
Any idea when the big announcement gets made?

Not that he shouldn't take it because of this reason, but I don't think the HC job at Siena will be a huge pay boost from what he's making as Associate Head Coach at Syracuse. The most recent 990 filing for Siena College had former coach Carmen Maciarello making a salary of $362,450. I know there's other ways that coaches get paid, so that maybe doesn't account for all his earnings, but it's not like GMAC is gonna bank $10M in 4-5 years at Siena.
Yeah, it’s already been stated it will be a pay cut, but if he can parlay the job into a better one, that is where the financial payoff will be.
Maciariello also had $59,735 in “other” compensation. Guessing they might be able to pay GMac close to $500k.

It really wouldn't be over night. Benny has 1 year of eligibility left, all his hopes and dreams are about to end if he doesn't get some chance to show he's got the message. You save someone's life, they are usually appreciative.

It would be overnight because Gerry has seen 3 years of the kid not doing it! He just got kicked off a team his Junior season so any u-turn in behavior and maturity is a sudden unexpected change IMO.

We all know that a certain guard that plays at Clemson has run out of eligibility after this year. This guard has very close ties to gmac and happens to be from the Albany area. Does gmac give this guard a start in his coaching career after a few years of his playing overseas?

Maybe.

But alternatively, Gerry just had a 3 year front row seat to a kid self-sabotaging himself, and being a general pain to not just one, but TWO different head coaches. So, while it might be tempting to bring in a kid with Benny's former recruiting rating to a program like Siena's, I'm not sure that Gerry would hitch his wagon to someone who has consistently proved to be so unreliable, and borderline uncoachable.

After all, Gerry's professional a$$ is on the line now. Would he want to risk that on a flakey player?

I want someone who can lure a big or PG from the portal. The ability to work this end of the talent spectrum is more important than getting top end HS kids.
recruiting and x's and o's - someone that can install an offense!!

SU/Siena annual game in the dome is now a must.

GMAC, big huge BRO hug. Gonna miss you but glad you are just down the Thruway and not too far away.

And if for some reason, it doesn't work out with Red at Cuse, we now have someone else in the family with head coaching experience to take the reins.
Zero upside for Red and SU. Zero.

Carey and JT to Siena with Gerry would be cool. Carey is more realistic as JT might want to play in a more highly regarded conference and should get some interest.

Yeah, it’s already been stated it will be a pay cut, but if he can parlay the job into a better one, that is where the financial payoff will be.
Maciariello also had $59,735 in “other” compensation. Guessing they might be able to pay GMac close to $500k.

Agreed, that's why I said it's not a reason to not take the job. I was responding to a post saying that he can "bank money" for a few years even if he doesn't succeed. Just pointing out that's not really true.

If his goal was to be a head coach, then this was the most likely path that he had to take. Betting on himself. Not an easy thing to do and I hope that he enjoys great success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom