Go Iroquois | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Go Iroquois

Watched the whole game. What a downer to stay up til 1am on a work night only to see them lose oh well.

The Iroquois were really sloppy tonight, bad decisions, errant passes and one on ones into double and triple teams, and seemingly man down the hole game. They struggled at the X but the Canadian kid is the best FOG in the world. Managed a lot of shots but either missed cage or were stoned. The Canadian goalie was lights out. The comeback was great but to little to late – even during the comeback they played poorly and made way too many mistakes.

Ward will start in goal next year for Syracuse. He’s a stud goalie and I just don’t see any way Wardwell (or Ferrigan) will beat him out. His reflexes are lighting quick, he’s mobile, active, sees the ball. He also throws lazar outlet passes to get into transition. I haven’t really seen him allow a bad goal. Last night everything he gave up was right on the door step – shoddy D in front of him. He made a some high light reel saves. He’s the real deal.

Lyle Thompson last night had one of the sickest moves I’ve ever seen. You have to go find the replay. Right side pipe extended he was dodging left against Brody Miller. Stopped, planted with his left foot to go back right and (instead of doing a swim move from left to right) he literally went behind his back with the stick (stick in left hand transferred to stick in his right hand behind his back) and when the stick got into his right hand – in one motion - he rifled a fish shot that just missed top pipe. It was ridiculous, had the shot gone in it would have been the sickest play in the history of lacrosse. Go find the replay.

One problems the native players have had in the past inlcuding the Thompsons is to much one on one. We have seen it was Staats here at SU, sometimes they just have it in there minds there going to the goal no matter what. It results in some great goals but usually ends up in a bad turnover more often then not. If they could ease back on the one on one play and clean up some of the mistakes they could easily make the Champ game.

Watched the whole game. What a downer to stay up til 1am on a work night only to see them lose oh well.

The Iroquois were really sloppy tonight, bad decisions, errant passes and one on ones into double and triple teams, and seemingly man down the hole game. They struggled at the X but the Canadian kid is the best FOG in the world. Managed a lot of shots but either missed cage or were stoned. The Canadian goalie was lights out. The comeback was great but to little to late – even during the comeback they played poorly and made way too many mistakes.

Ward will start in goal next year for Syracuse. He’s a stud goalie and I just don’t see any way Wardwell (or Ferrigan) will beat him out. His reflexes are lighting quick, he’s mobile, active, sees the ball. He also throws lazar outlet passes to get into transition. I haven’t really seen him allow a bad goal. Last night everything he gave up was right on the door step – shoddy D in front of him. He made a some high light reel saves. He’s the real deal.

Lyle Thompson last night had one of the sickest moves I’ve ever seen. You have to go find the replay. Right side pipe extended he was dodging left against Brody Miller. Stopped, planted with his left foot to go back right and (instead of doing a swim move from left to right) he literally went behind his back with the stick (stick in left hand transferred to stick in his right hand behind his back) and when the stick got into his right hand – in one motion - he rifled a fish shot that just missed top pipe. It was ridiculous, had the shot gone in it would have been the sickest play in the history of lacrosse. Go find the replay.
No doubt that was the sickest play I've seen. I was standing on that side not 40yds from him. I immediately sent a mass text saying almost the same thing you did. Lol.

I was kinda mad walking out of there but quickly realized how good a game they made it. I think they just needed to play a team like that to get calibrated going forward.
Didn't get a whole lot of convo in before the game with the Thompson cousins who weren't playing. They remarked it was an important and serious day against Canada, so no beers. Lol. You could definitely tell by the mood in the air. I bet they smoke the Aussies today.

One problems the native players have had in the past inlcuding the Thompsons is to much one on one. We have seen it was Staats here at SU, sometimes they just have it in there minds there going to the goal no matter what. It results in some great goals but usually ends up in a bad turnover more often then not. If they could ease back on the one on one play and clean up some of the mistakes they could easily make the Champ game.

yeah agreed. And it doesnt help that this team has never played together ever. It's a weird dynamic though. At times they share the ball like nobody else and its a thing of beauty and then at times it strictly iso. Last nights comeback was largely as a result of one on one play because they were pressing, but conversely they killed themselves during the comeback because of the one on one stuff. Staats in particular had some dousies, and outright bad shots.

yeah agreed. And it doesnt help that this team has never played together ever. It's a weird dynamic though. At times they share the ball like nobody else and its a thing of beauty and then at times it strictly iso. Last nights comeback was largely as a result of one on one play because they were pressing, but conversely they killed themselves during the comeback because of the one on one stuff. Staats in particular had some dousies, and outright bad shots.

Staats has a tendency to get lost in the game sometime and then suddenly explode. I have no doubt he was probably pressing a bit and he can be off with his accuracy when he presses. On the other hand you see him vs Cornell when he is at his best and pretty much can't be stopped. hes a bit of a mixed bag.

Watched the whole game. What a downer to stay up til 1am on a work night only to see them lose oh well. The Iroquois were really sloppy tonight, bad decisions, errant passes and one on ones into double and triple teams, and seemingly man down the hole game.

Nailed it. Unfortunately, Canada brought their AAA game and beat the stuffing out of the Iroquois in the 1st half. Lost in all this is how incredibly well Canada played. They were brutally aggressive in the 1st quarter. The Iroquois spent the rest of the game retaliating and taking cheap shots. They took the Iroquois out of their game for quite a while. Not sure the creator was happy. Perhaps it was?

I read a writeup on the game in which Lyle stated how, in college, he can bait defenders into mistakes, but how you cannot do the same at this level. It really seemed like got himself into a lot of trouble leaning into these huge all worlders, looking for them to make mistakes they never did. They never leaned too far one way or the other, and Lyle often found himself the host of a yard sale.

Play this game 10 times and Canada wins 6-7, by a total of 7-8 goals. Do the same in 4 years and those scores would be reversed.

When I was a kid, there wasn't even a box on the nation. There was one ratty old field in the weeds, that nobody ever played on, about a half mile past the fire station. Fast forward to 2014, a packed house, 1,800 miles away from the rez was rooting for nobody but the Iroquois. I hope they can have a smarter showing in their remaining games.

If it wasn't for that silly push in the last 1:30, perhaps the Iroquois pull it out? The shame of the game is how lost they looked sliding on D, pretty much all game long.

Gait looked like he's been sucking down a lot of PBRs.

Iroquois sleepwalking through the first half tonight. 4-4 in the 2nd vs Australia.

5-5 @ half. Australia is fun to watch. Lots of ball movement. Cuts.

Last edited:
Sucks, I thought it'd be a lot different. Haven't been able to watch since ESPNU has switched programming.

Love this Iroquois team full of Syracuse players ex and current! And OCC

Sounds like they got restarted at some point and the Iroquois pulled away.

Would be very surprised if Hill is not the starting goalie for Cuse next year.

Have to agree, kid is dynamic in the cage. Getting pummeled by the best in the world with not much help. Score is not indicative of his play.

Jameison playing like a punk again as well.

I don't know if I've ever heard OCC mentioned this much in one day in my life. And I even took a class at OCC.
Hill looks great. Thought the Iroquois might make a better showing, but it was still fun watching them play.

Well that sucked. If they play again, I think it will be a lot more competitive. They learned a lot tonight. Have to wonder if they fed into the hype and let it go to their heads a little. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Score aside the Oakley kid playing defense had another impressive showing. Hes had a strong week. Cuse should wrap that kid up to.

Score aside the Oakley kid playing defense had another impressive showing. Hes had a strong week. Cuse should wrap that kid up to.

I would assume Desko and staff is aware of the kid and are actively recruiting him. If they weren't they definitely are now.

Well that sucked. If they play again, I think it will be a lot more competitive. They learned a lot tonight. Have to wonder if they fed into the hype and let it go to their heads a little. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

One post-game thought I had, the Canada and US games were a harsh reminder as to why fundamentals matter. Trick shots and difficult passes should be the exception, not the norm. While the Thompsons can go all bonkers and do that stuff consistently against DI teams. It simply does not work against the best of the best.

Frequently, the Iroquois:
  • Passes are high. Recipients are constantly jumping to receive the ball. Thus, they are not in a good position when the ball hits their net.
  • Are attempting a 'dagger' score, as opposed to just a tic, tac, toe, more boring, but effective shot. I recall, against CAN or USA, some double-fake between the legs attempt in front of the goal that resulted in a yard sale and turnover, as opposed to a score
  • Are walking into double-teams. Lyle is doing this way too much. He can one hand, no look, underhand pass his way out of double-teams against the likes of a middling DI team. Simply doesn't work against all world defenders. More yard sale.
  • The sliding, footwork, and hip position on defense is no bueno. Maybe it is because of the fact they are sliding towards players with all world speed. I don't know.
  • I heard some cheering from the crowd last night when one of the Iroquois defenders made a behind the back pass. Who cares? If the Iroquois buy into that, they will continue to be in trouble against the big buys. They shouldn't attempt to be the travelling aboriginal road show.
  • I think the Iroquois would be better served by being a little more fundamental, but maintaining offensive aggressiveness where it can be most effective. Stop trying to burn clock, and get to the goal.
At the end of the day, the size and athleticism of the US may just be too much for them to counter. But, against Canada, with better fundamentals, they can make a better showing.

One post-game thought I had, the Canada and US games were a harsh reminder as to why fundamentals matter. Trick shots and difficult passes should be the exception, not the norm. While the Thompsons can go all bonkers and do that stuff consistently against DI teams. It simply does not work against the best of the best.

Frequently, the Iroquois:
  • Passes are high. Recipients are constantly jumping to receive the ball. Thus, they are not in a good position when the ball hits their net.
  • Are attempting a 'dagger' score, as opposed to just a tic, tac, toe, more boring, but effective shot. I recall, against CAN or USA, some double-fake between the legs attempt in front of the goal that resulted in a yard sale and turnover, as opposed to a score
  • Are walking into double-teams. Lyle is doing this way too much. He can one hand, no look, underhand pass his way out of double-teams against the likes of a middling DI team. Simply doesn't work against all world defenders. More yard sale.
  • The sliding, footwork, and hip position on defense is no bueno. Maybe it is because of the fact they are sliding towards players with all world speed. I don't know.
  • I heard some cheering from the crowd last night when one of the Iroquois defenders made a behind the back pass. Who cares? If the Iroquois buy into that, they will continue to be in trouble against the big buys. They shouldn't attempt to be the travelling aboriginal road show.
  • I think the Iroquois would be better served by being a little more fundamental, but maintaining offensive aggressiveness where it can be most effective. Stop trying to burn clock, and get to the goal.
At the end of the day, the size and athleticism of the US may just be too much for them to counter. But, against Canada, with better fundamentals, they can make a better showing.

Pretty much spot on with your analysis, as you noted the Iroquois are fantastic to watch but at the end of the day they lack the skill at the other positions and the solid fundamentals to beat the best of the best. Its the reason that despite how good the Thompsons were at Albany that they have 1 Ncaa tourney win to show for it.

10-8 over Scotland w/o LT, who is at the ESPY's.

Play Canada tomorrow night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom