God Bless America | Syracusefan.com

God Bless America

SWC75

Bored Historian
Great song but it's 13 years since 9/11. Yes, we have men and women in the armed forces around the world who could be in danger, (we usually do) and something else could happen in this country at any time. But isn't it time to give the seventh inning stretch back to the game and have the fans sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" rather than interrupting the game itself for an on-the-field ceremony? We already sing the national anthem before the game. isn't that enough. :noidea:

:eek::confused::mad::(

Don't worry, i'm crawling back into my cave now.

I think most places still do "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" immediately after "God Bless America." They just don't show it on TV. I know that's what they do at Frontier Field in Rochester.

Great song but it's 13 years since 9/11. Yes, we have men and women in the armed forces around the world who could be in danger, (we usually do) and something else could happen in this country at any time. But isn't it time to give the seventh inning stretch back to the game and have the fans sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" rather than interrupting the game itself for an on-the-field ceremony? We already sing the national anthem before the game. isn't that enough. :noidea:

:eek::confused::mad::(

Don't worry, i'm crawling back into my cave now.

I agree with you. I have always hated that song. First, its a terrible song. Second, I am only patriotic enough for one American song per sporting event. Two feels more like propaganda, it turns me off.

I offered the same opinion on "Bud and the Manchild" and a guy called in to disagree, saying that he was a veteran and knew injured veterans and that song always bring a tear to his eye. I didn't call back but my response would be that this country has no shortage of occasions when we honor veterans. it has many occasions when we fail to HELP them. I wonder how many of those people who were standing, wathcing someone sing "God Bless America" will go out to the polls and vote for politicians who will slash the VA's budget. I wonder how many of them own businesses and haven't hired veterans. The called dismissed "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" as a "trivial baseball song". It's baseball's anthem and the singing of it is done to honor the game. That's not trivial at all.

Bud Poliquin suggested we could move "God Bless America" to the 5th inning and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in the 5th inning. My counter to that is maybe we could interrupt the game again in the 9th inning to sing Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land", which was his response to "God Bless America".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_Your_Land

I agree with you and also think it's weird to sing the national anthem before sporting events (unless it's a national team)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Yes, it's time, but nobody in MLB has the courage to act on it. One patriotic song a game is sufficient. If you want to show your love of country, then vote on Tuesday, pay your taxes, and volunteer in a civic organization.

I try to go to the refreshment stand when it's time to sing GBA, whether I really want something or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom