Good God Desko... | Syracusefan.com

Good God Desko...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Your team wins 21 of 25 face-offs and you win by 3 goals? If you can't figure it out, let me explain it to you. You have an offense of extremely talented players who have NO IDEA how to play with each other as a cohesive unit!

OrangeinBoston said:
Your team wins 21 of 25 face-offs and you win by 3 goals? If you can't figure it out, let me explain it to you. You have an offense of extremely talented players who have NO IDEA how to play with each other as a cohesive unit!

May be some truth there, but Army had the No. 1 defense in the nation last year. And their goalie is damn good.

Remember, SU scored just 6 goals against Army last year.

we generated several good looks but that army goalie was solid tonite.

May be some truth there, but Army had the No. 1 defense in the nation last year. And their goalie is damn good.

Remember, SU scored just 6 goals against Army last year.
Don't disagree with you at all about Army's defense or goalie. Both deserve a lot of credit. But SU's offense is stagnant, Stagnant, STAGNANT. They pass the ball around waiting for something to happen. And then, somebody does something stupid, like Lecky, who gets reamed out on the sideline. Jeezus...

WG's glessner was the only cannon outside painting corners tonite. upper left all night.
i was kinda hoping to see stuart little leave the field on a gurney. the cheap check goal was the worst.

Last edited:
OrangeinBoston said:
Don't disagree with you at all about Army's defense or goalie. Both deserve a lot of credit. But SU's offense is stagnant, Stagnant, STAGNANT. They pass the ball around waiting for something to happen. And then, somebody does something stupid, like Lecky, who gets reamed out on the sideline. Jeezus...

Our lacrosse offense is much like our basketball offense.

Its reliant on our best players making great plays.

last couple games we did a good job of opening up shooting lanes. agree tonite was dip and dodge.

GoSU96 said:
Today was more one on one than normal. I think it's because Army is better as a unit than individuals, and that's why all the individual dodges. And it worked.

It did finally work. But I was getting concerned

The main issue right now for Syracuse's offense is everything is within 5 yards of the crease. We don't have any outside shooters, Glessner had 2 or 3 frozen ropes that were in the goal before Wardwell could move, we have no one right now who can do that. Its going to be critical we develop 1-2 shooters because the packed in zone defenses are coming and coming soon, probably next Sunday.

I had hoped Walters could be that guy but he got into Desko's doghouse and couldn't learn the plays (the few we have) so he took off for his senior year (no idea where he ended up). Dejoe is probably the most game ready shooter but outside of some success on the EMO, he has looked bad in limited game play especially last year vs Bryant's zone. Curious about McGinley, guy was supposedly looking cracking the second mid line last year before his injury last year now he can barely get on the third line.

Syracuse has to get a shooter at middie to mix in with the attack if this team is going to win a national championship.

This will be a huge win come Selection Sunday. No team is perfect. As was mentioned above, Army is full of athletes that play an active zone D. We will score this year.

The main issue right now for Syracuse's offense is everything is within 5 yards of the crease. We don't have any outside shooters, Glessner had 2 or 3 frozen ropes that were in the goal before Wardwell could move, we have no one right now who can do that. Its going to be critical we develop 1-2 shooters because the packed in zone defenses are coming and coming soon, probably next Sunday.

I had hoped Walters could be that guy but he got into Desko's doghouse and couldn't learn the plays (the few we have) so he took off for his senior year (no idea where he ended up). Dejoe is probably the most game ready shooter but outside of some success on the EMO, he has looked bad in limited game play especially last year vs Bryant's zone. Curious about McGinley, guy was supposedly looking cracking the second mid line last year before his injury last year now he can barely get on the third line.

Syracuse has to get a shooter at middie to mix in with the attack if this team is going to win a national championship.
Great observation and this has been a problem for a while. But, even their close-in attack isn't very effective. I think back to Stephen Keogh and others who found spaces inside that other players recognized and passed to. I see hardly any of that in this offense. Rice and Donahue can do this, but hardly anybody else.

IMO There seem's to ba a pattern emerging the last 3 games with Lecky/Salcido/Schoonmaker/Ciferi when they make a mistake the other team score's

I think you have to also factor in 2 things. One people now have film and two have had multiple weeks to play and prepare . the first 2 games Su played one team that hadnt played and is much better than and the 2nd game a team that hadnt played or practiced and even been on a field

our stagnant 12 goals tonight was against one of the best defenses in the nation. not worried.
Starsia will pack the zone in to make SU shoot from outside and will velcro defenders to Rice and Donahue. If Desko can design an offense to deal with that, I'm a believer.

Starsia will pack the zone in to make SU shoot from outside and will velcro defenders to Rice and Donahue. If Desko can design an offense to deal with that, I'm a believer.
This will be our 4th game of the 2015 season. It will also be the 4th college start for each of our Close D, 2 frosh and a senior who only played mop-up previously. We will largely pack things in, but mix it up so it may take a couple of passes and cuts to get a complete idea of what we're doing on a particular possession.

This will be our 4th game of the 2015 season. It will also be the 4th college start for each of our Close D, 2 frosh and a senior who only played mop-up previously. We will largely pack things in, but mix it up so it may take a couple of passes and cuts to get a complete idea of what we're doing on a particular possession.

Tough to get a read on the current UVA team. I think the D has been better then expected after losing Scales but the schedule to date hasn't been as good as I think UVA thought it would be. Loyola has zero depth and took a bad loss to Holy Cross, Drexel is a mess and Rutgers is well terrible. That said UVA clearly has talent across the board especially at Middie. I figured Williams would break out at some point this year and it didnt take him long.

I think Virigina is set up well for a nice run next year as they return I think almsot all of that young defense and I think a good chunck of that offense. I think this year the lack of depth and injuries on D will catch up to UVA in the ACC part of the schedule. Its asking a lot for frosh and sophomores with little PT to hold back Syracuse, UNC, Duke, ND etc. I also think UVA has to get more out of its attack, UVA has always had a potent attack for as long as I can remember, I think Cockerton is missed badly. As long as UVA takes care of its business OOC I see no reason they cant at the very least replicate last years tourney invite and seeding.

I don't think he will as that's not his style, but if he does then you need to dominate the ball limiting their opportunities and score in transition. UVA won't play better team defense than Army did and they won't be able to velcro all 3 attackmen.

I only watched half the Army game and was surprised Army didn't play any zone; not that I saw.

Tough to get a read on the current UVA team. I think the D has been better then expected after losing Scales but the schedule to date hasn't been as good as I think UVA thought it would be. Loyola has zero depth and took a bad loss to Holy Cross, Drexel is a mess and Rutgers is well terrible. That said UVA clearly has talent across the board especially at Middie. I figured Williams would break out at some point this year and it didnt take him long.

I think Virigina is set up well for a nice run next year as they return I think almsot all of that young defense and I think a good chunck of that offense. I think this year the lack of depth and injuries on D will catch up to UVA in the ACC part of the schedule. Its asking a lot for frosh and sophomores with little PT to hold back Syracuse, UNC, Duke, ND etc. I also think UVA has to get more out of its attack, UVA has always had a potent attack for as long as I can remember, I think Cockerton is missed badly. As long as UVA takes care of its business OOC I see no reason they cant at the very least replicate last years tourney invite and seeding.
One of the sentiments on our board from even before the season started is that we're playing 2015 with the 2016 line-up.

They went iso on specific defenders, because it was the best way to attack Army in their opinion. It's not what they are have done or are going to do the rest of the year.

If they put their two best defenders on Rice and Donahue, Staats will have 5 or 6 points.

and a senior who only played mop-up previously.

The Senior is Davi Sacco from JD. He was the top defender on their BTB state champ squads & I remember going into the state tourney Final 4 his senior year, Coach Archer was quoted as saying that not a single player that he was covering scored a goal against him on any possession the entire season. I suspect that his size (listed at 165 lbs) was the reason that he was seemingly lightly recruited & he actually walked-on at UVA.

Kudos to the kid for believing that he could play at the highest level & finally earning his chance.

The Senior is Davi Sacco from JD. He was the top defender on their BTB state champ squads & I remember going into the state tourney Final 4 his senior year, Coach Archer was quoted as saying that not a single player that he was covering scored a goal against him on any possession the entire season. I suspect that his size (listed at 165 lbs) was the reason that he was seemingly lightly recruited & he actually walked-on at UVA.

Kudos to the kid for believing that he could play at the highest level & finally earning his chance.

Great post on Sacco I only saw him play in his sr year, athletic kid and played great in their championship run, I heard he actually ended up as a walk on at UVA! He only converted to long pole as a jr at JD and was quarterback of the football team!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom