Good Luck C.J. Fair | Syracusefan.com

Good Luck C.J. Fair

I love CJ, but I wish he'd go abroad and get that $200,000. For now. More on that in a moment.

CJ doesn't seem to fit the NBA. That is not his fault; in a different era, that poetic and fluid midrange game of his would have been awesome there, but the NBA style just doesn't seem to allow for his level of physicality/skill set. He's now been rejected by half the league. A pattern emerges.

I wonder if he and his family and that of many other NBA hopefuls are operating on an increasingly outdated assumption - that the NBA pays far better than elsewhere around the world, and should remain the ultimate/only goal. True until now, and maybe for some time into the future. But basketball is increasing in popularity (and revenue generation) in so many places, that CJ may actually have an opportunity to spearhead a new movement where by the time he peaks as a pro (say, age 26-33 or so), his annual salary playing abroad could reach $500,000 or more. And that doesn't include emerging endorsement opportunities.

And furthermore, most non-US basketball seasons are much shorter than that of the NBA (and therefore less grueling), so that leaves more time for more opportunities (professional, personal, cultural, etc.).

If CJ doesn't consider this direction, hopefully someone else will. Many non-Americans have made it big here. But since globalization seems here to stay, the opposite has started taking place, and hoops should be no exception.

I think it's because the NBA is the dream. To be that close a guy like CJ wants to desperately achieve that when he is so close. He doesn't care that the money is equal (or maybe better) elsewhere, he wants the NBA. If after he tries and doesnt make it, then he will consider going overseas. But only after the dream is actually dead for him.

Brian Dwyer‏@Brian_TWCNews 30s
Indiana Pacers have signed former Syracuse star C.J. Fair to a non-guaranteed camp deal. (HT: RealGM) He had been holding out for guarantee

There are worse spots to land than with a team that just lost its star SF for the year. The Pacers will be looking hard at finding some SF depth to plug that hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom