Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Good to see the Bills are in mid-season form

NFL is legit testing my loyalty.

The refs today were horribly one sided (didn't affect the outcome).

Sick of being in a division with Brady and the Pats while the AFC South sends someone to the playoffs every year.

Way too much importance on one position. (QB). Why tf even bother building a team when nothing matters if you don't have a QB. Only major sport where this is the case and it's due to rules changes that have made it so.

Turn over to TB/Oak and immediately see refs called out by announcers for not calling a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR that ended TB's drive. What is the rule!? Does anyone even know or do we make it up as we go along?

Commercials every 2 seconds.

I'll never abandon my Bills games but I'll absolutely tell you that I don't watch SNF or MNF anymore. I'll watch the college Thursday Night game over the NFL's.

Just kinda over the NFL and it seems my sentiment is shared by a lot of people.

How can a defense be so Jekyll and Hyde?

Lights out in 5 games.

Absolutely awful in 3 games.
Easy... Brisett, Bizarro Carson Palmer, Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, Fitzpatrick are the QBs the Bills faced. Fitz was the best of the bunch and he absolutely destroyed them and basically beat them single handedly. Carson played so poorly that you wonder if he thought the game was 1pst not 1est. Now the Bills are playing NFL caliber QBs and are getting destroyed.

The Ryan brothers have no idea how to beat a modern nfl or scheme one. The bills will have a new coaching staff (again) next year.

Easy... Brisett, Bizarro Carson Palmer, Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, Fitzpatrick are the QBs the Bills faced. Fitz was the best of the bunch and he absolutely destroyed them and basically beat them single handedly. Carson played so poorly that you wonder if he thought the game was 1pst not 1est. Now the Bills are playing NFL caliber QBs and are getting destroyed.

The Ryan brothers have no idea how to beat a modern nfl or scheme one. The bills will have a new coaching staff (again) next year.
I don't really buy this.

We lost and the defense didn't show up against Fitz, Tannehill and Brady (if we're naming QBs).

Only one of them is elite. The other two are in the same category as Tyrod Taylor as in eh, might be ok.

You may be right but that isn't evidenced by anything we've seen so far this year.

Sick of being in a division with Brady and the Pats while the AFC South sends someone to the playoffs every year.

Way too much importance on one position. (QB). Why tf even bother building a team when nothing matters if you don't have a QB. Only major sport where this is the case and it's due to rules changes that have made it so.

Turn over to TB/Oak and immediately see refs called out by announcers for not calling a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR that ended TB's drive. What is the rule!? Does anyone even know or do we make it up as we go along?

I'll never abandon my Bills games but I'll absolutely tell you that I don't watch SNF or MNF anymore. I'll watch the college Thursday Night game over the NFL's.

I do feel for Bills fans but the refs call everything on everyone. The Pats got a lot of penalty called on them Rowe was called a lot.
They also had a penalty on a 3rd down before the Hogan deep bomb. As you said the refs didn't affect this game outcome.
I was watching the Raiders-Bucs game and the refs called everything. The refs are calling too many penalties.

I don't really buy this.

We lost and the defense didn't show up against Fitz, Tannehill and Brady (if we're naming QBs).

Only one of them is elite. The other two are in the same category as Tyrod Taylor as in eh, might be ok.

You may be right but that isn't evidenced by anything we've seen so far this year.
You really think that Taylor in the same category as Fitz and Tannehill in an offense that actually is willing to pass the ball? The only reason Taylor is even remotely effective is that the Bills run an offense better suited to high school or pop warner then the NFL. The question asked was why did the Bills Dlook so great earlier and look like crap lately. I think the evidence is that any QB who can throw the ball will destroy the Bills D because they don't get enough pressure on the QB so their DBs on an island are getting chewed up. This is only made worse by the fact that Gilmore is basically playing like he doesn't want to be here.

I do feel for Bills fans but the refs call everything on everyone. The Pats got a lot of penalty called on them Rowe was called a lot.
They also had a penalty on a 3rd down before the Hogan deep bomb. As you said the refs didn't affect this game outcome.
I was watching the Raiders-Bucs game and the refs called everything. The refs are calling too many penalties.
My issue in the Bills game was that we rarely hold in our running game yet somehow were called for holding penalties all first half. I also saw multiple holds NE committed that weren't called.

No personal foul on Taylor when that pos Hightower tried to injure him on the sideline?

White pushes off Gilmore and Gilmore gets called for a hold?

The penalty that negated the Bush big play in the 2nd quarter was nonexistent and called out by the announcers.

Again, with our injuries and lack of heart, no way we win against NE but the officiating was pretty suspect.

Always seems to even out when it doesn't matter anymore so the numbers don't look so lopsided but when it counted, y'all got some favorable treatment. Granted, it only counted for like 2 quarters until we waved the white flag.

You really think that Taylor in the same category as Fitz and Tannehill in an offense that actually is willing to pass the ball? The only reason Taylor is even remotely effective is that the Bills run an offense better suited to high school or pop warner then the NFL. The question asked was why did the Bills Dlook so great earlier and look like crap lately. I think the evidence is that any QB who can throw the ball will destroy the Bills D because they don't get enough pressure on the QB so their DBs on an island are getting chewed up. This is only made worse by the fact that Gilmore is basically playing like he doesn't want to be here.
I think it's REALLY tough to evaluate Taylor.

He's not and will never be a top 5-8 QB but can you win with him a la Russel Wilson? I don't know.

He rarely has a healthy McCoy and is throwing to the worst WR unit in the NFL. Hes going to need a strong defense and some weapons around him. Right now he has nothing.

He's not and will never be a top 5-8 QB but can you win with him a la Russel Wilson? I don't know.

He rarely has a healthy McCoy and is throwing to the worst WR unit in the NFL. Hes going to need a strong defense and some weapons around him. Right now he has nothing.
I don't see the Russel Wilson comparison here... the Seahawks win because of Russel Wilson not in spite of him. Wilson is a great QB and always has been going back to NC State and Wisconsin. His only fault is that Seattle never ever seems to invest in their offense. I don't think the Bills make the playoffs with Taylor but then again I'm not sure the Bills will make the playoffs again in my lifetime and I'm not 40 yet. Anyways they will be starting over next year with new coaches and I'm not sure a new coach would stick with Tyrod who at best is a poor man's Capernack from his Harbaugh years.

I don't see the Russel Wilson comparison here... the Seahawks win because of Russel Wilson not in spite of him. Wilson is a great QB and always has been going back to NC State and Wisconsin. His only fault is that Seattle never ever seems to invest in their offense. I don't think the Bills make the playoffs with Taylor but then again I'm not sure the Bills will make the playoffs again in my lifetime and I'm not 40 yet. Anyways they will be starting over next year with new coaches and I'm not sure a new coach would stick with Tyrod who at best is a poor man's Capernack from his Harbaugh years.
I'm definitely not opposed to bringing in a potential franchise QB or trading up for one. We'll have some cap room since Gilmore might as well be gone at this point.

Will definitely be a big decision given the cap hit Taylor will have and the out we gave ourselves.

The only glaring needs I see in the offseason (QB aside) is WR, Safety, DB in that order.

Get a legit #1/#2 next to Watkins. Draft a Safety and CB and see what Tyrod can do OR trade our draft for a QB and get a WR and secondary help in Free Agency.

I have seen him quite a few times, I think he is middle of the pack, if the rest of your team is built the right way, you can win with him, he's not a franchise qb.

What an absolute fiasco yesterday. I was at the Ralph, great crowd as always despite awful conditions. A few notes:

- This team really missed Aaron Williams. I never thought he was an all time great safety or anything but the dropoff to Blanton & Meeks was pretty steep. Not sure who screwed up on the Hogan touchdown but Gilmore visually slowed down after his break- I assume he felt he had coverage help over the top but after the play, Meeks was SCREAMING at Gilmore. You just can't make those types of mistakes against the Pats and expect to win.

- That said there were some really strange matchups on defense. 3rd & 9, believe it was Preston Brown assigned to cover Julian Edelman. I turned to my friend I was there with and said "they're going to Edelman". Boom, 16 yard completion...Brady never looked elsewhere. Also, I will never understand how you can have Robey-Coleman on Gronk...

- Atrocious officiating but what else is new. The NFL has to fix this problem, it's ridiculous.

- Again I know Tyrod is catching heat (and sometimes rightfully so) but look at who he is throwing to...not exactly a murder's row out there. Someone explain to me why Reggie Bush is still on this team?

- Watching Gilleslee yesterday only reinforces that Shady never should have played last week...I put that one on Rex. Sometimes you have to take the decision out of the player's hands. Anyone know when Sammy Watkins is eligible to be back?

- Tough uphill sledding from here on out. The Bills can get away with losing to Seattle but Cincinnati is a must win. They absolutely need conference victories if they are going to have any shot at the playoffs. Unfortunately it is probably going to take 6-2 (or 7-1) down the stretch to have a prayer...and I'm not confident that this group can do it, or is even healthy enough to achieve that. Gonna need a lot of breaks...but I think we are staring down the barrel of 8-8 again.

- Gotta say I've seen a lot of projectiles lobbed onto playing fields, but never an, ummm, "object" like yesterday...I sit on the opposite end of the stadium but like many others thought it was a flag at first. Obviously, it proved to be something different altogether.

What an absolute fiasco yesterday. I was at the Ralph, great crowd as always despite awful conditions. A few notes:

- This team really missed Aaron Williams. I never thought he was an all time great safety or anything but the dropoff to Blanton & Meeks was pretty steep. Not sure who screwed up on the Hogan touchdown but Gilmore visually slowed down after his break- I assume he felt he had coverage help over the top but after the play, Meeks was SCREAMING at Gilmore. You just can't make those types of mistakes against the Pats and expect to win.

- That said there were some really strange matchups on defense. 3rd & 9, believe it was Preston Brown assigned to cover Julian Edelman. I turned to my friend I was there with and said "they're going to Edelman". Boom, 16 yard completion...Brady never looked elsewhere. Also, I will never understand how you can have Robey-Coleman on Gronk...

- Atrocious officiating but what else is new. The NFL has to fix this problem, it's ridiculous.

- Again I know Tyrod is catching heat (and sometimes rightfully so) but look at who he is throwing to...not exactly a murder's row out there. Someone explain to me why Reggie Bush is still on this team?

- Watching Gilleslee yesterday only reinforces that Shady never should have played last week...I put that one on Rex. Sometimes you have to take the decision out of the player's hands. Anyone know when Sammy Watkins is eligible to be back?

- Tough uphill sledding from here on out. The Bills can get away with losing to Seattle but Cincinnati is a must win. They absolutely need conference victories if they are going to have any shot at the playoffs. Unfortunately it is probably going to take 6-2 (or 7-1) down the stretch to have a prayer...and I'm not confident that this group can do it, or is even healthy enough to achieve that. Gonna need a lot of breaks...but I think we are staring down the barrel of 8-8 again.

- Gotta say I've seen a lot of projectiles lobbed onto playing fields, but never an, ummm, "object" like yesterday...I sit on the opposite end of the stadium but like many others thought it was a flag at first. Obviously, it proved to be something different altogether.

Watkins would be eligible to come back after the bye as his 8 weeks would be up. No idea if he physically would be cleared but your talking another two weeks of rest from yesterday so I would think he has a chance. The situation at safety with Williams our is dire. Duke Williams was a bad draft pick a few years ago and Meeks might be worse. The bills passing game is what it is at this point. A couple of 3 and 4 WR's with a mediocore passing QB. Clay is always banged up and Goodwin is always always hurt. Hunter has done an admirable job but hes a 3 trying to be a 1 at this point. I did think Powell played pretty well yesterday all things considered, bodes well for when Watkins hopefully comes back.

When is Big Ben scheduled to come back? The Miami game was the one that was just brutal, they played bad yesterday but they weren't winning that game with all the injuries.

I'm pretty over it too. For the first time since I was about 8yrs old I made plans to do something else during a Bills game. It's obvious we just have no chance to compete with this team, ever. Ralph unwittingly screwed us by not getting out of the division for the '02 re-alignment, it seems.
Can't wait to not watch the pathetic Texans host another playoff game tho; should be loads of fun.

I'm pretty over it too. For the first time since I was about 8yrs old I made plans to do something else during a Bills game. It's obvious we just have no chance to compete with this team, ever. Ralph unwittingly screwed us by not getting out of the division for the '02 re-alignment, it seems.
Can't wait to not watch the pathetic Texans host another playoff game tho; should be loads of fun.

I hear ya but here is the small silver lining. Brady is 39, the dude can't play forever. Whether its next year or the year after at some point he's going to fall off a cliff, its impossible for it not to happen.

You're spot on with everything here.

I think we have a shot at 6-2 (if healthy) but are we ever healthy?..

The Miami game is baffling and it seems our defense goes from 85 Bears to 16 Raiders without Aaron Williams. Definitely a direct correlation to him leaving the Miami game and our defense becoming the worst defense in the NFL despite being one of the most talented. This better change or I can no longer defend Rex.

Gillislee is a very good RB and we would have been able to run on NE if our defense didn't give up 3rd down conversions all day while sprinkling in multiple cases of blown coverage for Touchdowns putting us 2-3 TD's down all game.

Percy Harvin back in the house.

Actually not a bad pick up. He at least knows the playbook and Tyrod.

What's McCoy's status for tonight. I need 3.4 points from Gillislee and don't need Shady stealing touches.

What's McCoy's status for tonight. I need 3.4 points from Gillislee and don't need Shady stealing touches.

Seems hes going to play, I would suspect Mike G will get some snaps but how many is up in the air.

What's the over under on the gametime by which I can stop watching tonight? I'm putting it at the 7 min mark in the 3rd quarter

What's the over under on the gametime by which I can stop watching tonight? I'm putting it at the 7 min mark in the 3rd quarter

Once the backup RB Mike G. gets my 3.4 points I'm done.

I'd mark it 5 minutes into the 4th. Looking forward to this game, great distraction from watching election stuff.