Goodman, "Cuse could be in trouble" | Syracusefan.com

Goodman, "Cuse could be in trouble"

Based on your title i thought you meant NCAA violations...

Yeah, terrible thread title choice.

Other than that, we could have serious trouble on the court. or we may not. but for the 1st time in 7 years the talk is warranted.f

He's saying the same thing most on this board are saying. Loosen up a bit.
Most? As pointed out above, the article was written prior to the Iowa game. IMO Goodman is not a good sports journalist. I grow tired of how often Syracuse seems to be portrayed with negative connotations by some members of the media. Obviously he can write whatever he wants to write as will others. That's perfectly fine and legit... there are plenty of hats to go around.

I suppose time will tell and I might have to don one of those hats.;) If so, so be it. I'm just fiercely Orange and I don't like reading negative crap about being NIT bound whether the story has merits or not. Especially 3 games into a season on the heels of a very young team experiencing growing pains. Some of what he states is true. I just don't wanna hear it!

Espn article by Jeff Goodman who bemoans a bevy of reasons the Cuse may be in trouble and NIT bound.
It's official, we have the first nominee for press a$$hat of the season award.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...321/syracuse-could-be-in-trouble?refresh=true

Unrelated question.. why do networks hand these writers a microphone to fumble with during games? Jeff Goodman was as smooth with that as I would be bringing the ball up court against a Kentucky press by myself.

Most? As pointed out above, the article was written prior to the Iowa game. IMO Goodman is not a good sports journalist. I grow tired of how often Syracuse seems to be portrayed with negative connotations by some members of the media. Obviously he can write whatever he wants to write as will others. That's perfectly fine and legit... there are plenty of hats to go around.

I suppose time will tell and I'll have to don one of those hats.;) If so, so be it. I'm just fiercely Orange and I don't like reading negative crap about being NIT bound whether the story has merits or not. Especially 3 games into a season on the heels of a very young team experiencing growing pains.

1st and most importantly - i appreciate you being 'fiercely orange' and i love it.

However, sometimes you have to roll with the punches. There will be more punches to take this season. Anytime you go from consistently elite to this type of struggle, you'll see plenty of articles like this. take the punches like a man and keep getting back up and hope the team gels in time to make the tournament and then hope we pull a Mich St, Uconn or UK in the tournament.

But we don't want to be the fan base that can't see what's going on in front of us and complain to the media about every little thing that they say.

Unrelated question.. why do networks hand these writers a microphone to fumble with during games? Jeff Goodman was as smooth with that as I would be bringing the ball up court against a Kentucky press by myself.

:rolling:

1st and most importantly - i appreciate you being 'fiercely orange' and i love it.

However, sometimes you have to roll with the punches. There will be more punches to take this season. Anytime you go from consistently elite to this type of struggle, you'll see plenty of articles like this. take the punches like a man and keep getting back up and hope the team gels in time to make the tournament and then hope we pull a Mich St, Uconn or UK in the tournament.

But we don't want to be the fan base that can't see what's going on in front of us and complain to the media about every little thing that they say.
Point well taken.

I second the above about the misleading thread title--definitely NOT what I was expecting when I clicked open the thread...

[thank god]

I suppose time will tell and I might have to don one of those hats.;) If so, so be it. I'm just fiercely Orange and I don't like reading negative crap about being NIT bound whether the story has merits or not. Especially 3 games into a season on the heels of a very young team experiencing growing pains. Some of what he states is true. I just don't wanna hear it!
So you want only favorable comments about SU to be made by the media? Very silly.

Goodman is an idiot, but he's not off base here. We've got glaring flaws and are clearly not as strong this year (yet, anyway) as we have been in recent years. It doesn't take a genius analyst to figure that out.

I'm not going to read it. I've always been frustrated by the state of journalism today, but the last few days I've been having a bit of an epiphany that it is healthier to just not read anything negative that is written about my favorite teams, especially by national writers who's prerogative it is to say something that gets emotions riled, true or not.

I watched the last two games on mute and when Goodman came on and started talking about our problems (I think they started showing graphics) it felt so out of place. Completely forced. It's better not to give these guys the time of day.

Remember this, every time you say Goodman's or Katz's name, positive or negative, they get a couple extra dollars in their bank account. The best way to get them back is to pretend they don't exist.

Too late

A few quick general points:

1. When things go as they should...it's rarely news. That's why you see so many "negative" stories.

2. Exceptional performance is also news. If we somehow get on a roll and beat top teams there will be plenty of coverage of it.

3. No one should be surprised if we struggle. Look at the talent we lost and the dearth of experience of our starters. Even Boeheim has said there's plenty of work to be done through December.

4. A good reporter does his work with little concern about whether various coaches or fans like him or hate him. It's just not relevant.

4-a Drawing conclusions about a reporter's feelings about SU from the stories he does is often foolish. With a good reporter, you can never tell. In fact, he may be toughest on the teams and people he likes.

5. Fans who are all-out homers can miss important truths because their only concern is whether a story is positive about their team.

6. No matter how we fare, you're going to see frequent mention of the NCAA investigation. Why? Not because reporters hate the Orange (I'd bet many are alumni). But because it's relevant to what's going on with the program. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so much talk of it even here. So we should all get used to it.

Let them spout & shout...

The team will improve, & these clowns will have to eat their own crappy articles...

wow, one bad thing gets said about our team and this place cries like little b*tches. look guys, we suck. JB even said it will take awhile for us to get going. everyone being so sensitive around here during the season gets tiresome. were gonna lose some games, some press members don't like us blah blah blah. stop whining, roll with the punches, and kcco. god damn rant over

wow, one bad thing gets said about our team and this place cries like little b*tches. look guys, we suck. JB even said it will take awhile for us to get going. everyone being so sensitive around here during the season gets tiresome. were gonna lose some games, some press members don't like us blah blah blah. stop whining, roll with the punches, and kcco. god damn rant over
The fans of 95% of the D1 basketball programs out there would love to be rooting for a team that sucks as much as JB's current one.

I'm sure he probably wrote something like this after we lost to Memphis in Carmelo's only season ... how did that work out?

We did lose three very good players:
TE
JG
CJ
As well as Baye (a good player)
As well as DC2 (we expected to have him)