Gotta read the story on .com... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta read the story on .com...

This whole thing doesn't add up. He is totally Covering his ass for his next job

rrlbees said:
He doesn't even tell the whole story. It wasn't GRob over pelini. 3 others got interviewed.

Yeah, I know. Just sayin'.

He doesn't even tell the whole story. It wasn't GRob over pelini. 3 others got interviewed.

Henderson, Lewis and Gray.

But why wasn't Pelini part of that thoroughly lackluster group?

That's the damaging thing for Gross, IMO, from that article. Pelini wasn't good enough for here, but he was good enough for Nebraska? And based upon Gross's assessment, those four [including grob] were better candidates?

But why wasn't Pelini part of that thoroughly lackluster group?

That's the damaging thing for Gross, IMO, from that article. Pelini wasn't good enough for here, but he was good enough for Nebraska? And based upon Gross's assessment, those four [including grob] were better candidates?

He didn't get hired for the Nebraska job until 2007. Gerg was hired by SU in 2005 and Pelini was hired as the DC at LSU.

Reactions: CIL
Everyone looks bad here but Pelini sounds like is a crazy person. It's no surprise that Nebraska was attracted to Riley's persona. Nebraska's qb play has been average - that's another reason why they went with Riley.

Everyone talks about how unrealistic nebraska's expectations are. Solich, Callahan, and Devaney won 75% of their games. 10-3. I'm not even including tom osborne who won 83%. Part of the reason Nebraska can pay the guy so much is because of those high expectations

Pelini would've been fine here because his offenses don't bottom out as much as our's.

Where gross recounts the firing of coach p and pelini's subsequent interest.

Gross's take makes it clear that firing p after the bowl game was not his idea.

I guess now that nancy is gone, it's okay for him to tell the story and rightfully throw her under the bus.
gross's ability to remember exactly what he said to cantor in the most flattering possible way is pretty amazing

Should've hired Marrone in 2004 and then Addazio once he decided to leave after 4 years. Hindsight :noidea:

i don't think any of it matters. pasqualoni would've lost his job in 2005, that offense was going to blow ray rice or no ray rice with those QBs and WR. patterson was terrible with better receivers in 2004.

and gross would've still had to replace him and still would've screwed it up. yes, i know that this sounds self serving but that's how i think it would've played out

It's as if Gross is mocking the hiring process for some unknown reason.

Not his finest public moment.

It's as if Gross is mocking the hiring process for some unknown reason.

Not his finest public moment.

"Who should I hire to be the next HC at Syracuse?" [looking at the resumes spread across the desk in front of him]

"F*** it--I'll go with Robinson."

i don't think any of it matters. pasqualoni would've lost his job in 2005, that offense was going to blow ray rice or no ray rice with those QBs and WR. patterson was terrible with better receivers in 2004.

and gross would've still had to replace him and still would've screwed it up. yes, i know that this sounds self serving but that's how i think it would've played out
quite possible.

well, its also quite possible that we mightve not slipped so deep into the abyss.

with rice and courtney green and all the other NFLers, the next coach mightve had a better shot to not go 1 for a couple of seasons.

having P on double not-so-secret probation during a season of fielding phone calls from the Pelini's of the world, wouldve been preferrable to firing P after a bowl game and hiring guys based on how they did in their bowl game ...you know AD101...

As long as we're doing hypotheticals--

What if Jake C had been allowed to fire Coach P the year before? Who would he have hired? Would Gross have wanted his own guy anyway, and made a change after a couple of years if the Jake hire was mediocre?

Things might have turned out better had we not gotten our doors blown off 51-14 to a 6 win team in a crap bowl game.

The timing was stupid but let's not cannonize P, either. All he had to do was beat friggin' Temple that year and his job would have been safe.

Temple.

Temple.

Things might have turned out better had we not gotten our doors blown off 51-14 to a 6 win team in a crap bowl game.

The timing was stupid but let's not cannonize P, either. All he had to do was beat friggin' Temple that year and his job would have been safe.

Temple.

Temple.

No doubt--I probably respect Coach P more than just about any poster on this forum [with the obvious exception of Orange PA], but he had to go. The program was stale, he never managed to recruit a QB to be an adequate successor to McNabb, recruiting had slipped overall, and we were losing games to crap teams with alarming regularity. Factor in the What blowouts twice a year, and it was time for a change.

Its unfortunate that the replacement was an unmitigated disaster who made things worse--but that doesn't alter the fact that the program needed change.

Temple.

Temple.
ugh.

but i guess i can ammend my attended a Syracuse football game stadium chart...that was at Franklin Field.

blocked that Fr out...

thanks scooch.

:bang:

Temple.

Temple.

Because then we would have had our doors blown off by an undefeated Urban Meyer in the Fiesta Bowl.

Of course, for the money SU would have received, we could have afforded some new doors. ;)

RF2044 said:
But why wasn't Pelini part of that thoroughly lackluster group? That's the damaging thing for Gross, IMO, from that article. Pelini wasn't good enough for here, but he was good enough for Nebraska? And based upon Gross's assessment, those four [including grob] were better candidates?

Agree with this. I think gross said why he wasn't considered, even if it was a bad decision pretty much basing it on one game.

quite possible.

well, its also quite possible that we mightve not slipped so deep into the abyss.

with rice and courtney green and all the other NFLers, the next coach mightve had a better shot to not go 1 for a couple of seasons.

having P on double not-so-secret probation during a season of fielding phone calls from the Pelini's of the world, wouldve been preferrable to firing P after a bowl game and hiring guys based on how they did in their bowl game ...you know AD101...

That's what I said, in December of 2004.

Temple.

Temple.

This issue isn't Pasqualoni. It's timing and painting yourself in a corner.

quite possible.

gross still would've screwed it up.

Mike Williams was still going to be found by Mike Hopkins.

And you do the change a year you are in a much better position to do it right. I said it was a stupid reckless move at the time for all the reasons Gross just confirmed.