Gottlieb making some foolish statements.. | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb making some foolish statements..

bpo57

Living Legend
Talking about how UK is really going to struggle against WVA. Lol WVA will struggle to score 50 in that game. I'd be surprised if that deficit is less than 15. Then he says Huggins hasn't pressed this much- what? Did Dougie watch Cincy when Higgins was there? They pressed 94 feet a lot.

Talking about how UK is really going to struggle against WVA. Lol WVA will struggle to score 50 in that game. I'd be surprised if that deficit is less than 15. Then he says Huggins hasn't pressed this much- what? Did Dougie watch Cincy when Higgins was there? They pressed 94 feet a lot.

He said they have not pressed this much at West Virginia (100% accurate), and Huggins has not pressed this much in years (also accurate as Cincy pressed quite a under Huggins but IIRC moreso in some of his earlier years and not in all of his seasons at the end) Time flies, but Huggins has been gone from Cincy for quite a long time.

As for them being a matchup for Kentucky -- I look forward to it, but not confident it will throw UK off. Kentucky has been able to handle Arkansas fairly easily down the stretch and they run a similar [ressing system, except not the 1-3-1 once it settles in the halfcourt.

Last edited:
The big thing will be staten. He has the ability to go off for big games and could cause UK issues. Cincy ran out of steam and fouls but WVU runs a bit deeper. Arkansas plays a similar system but wvu uglies it up way more. Will be interesting for sure.

The big thing will be staten. He has the ability to go off for big games and could cause UK issues. Cincy ran out of steam and fouls but WVU runs a bit deeper. Arkansas plays a similar system but wvu uglies it up way more. Will be interesting for sure.
Staten has a lot of heart but you don't want him playing on an island out there.

I thought the last time they played that Uk was going to beat them by 20, but then again I'm not sure that this Wv team is as good as the 2010 team.

In fairness, he's not alone in this. Seth Greenberg was on Mike and Mike this morning breaking down why he thinks West Virginia could be a potentially dangerous matchup for Kentucky.

I still think that if Kentucky loses, it'll be to Arizona (if they get there), but still.

I found him brutal on the game call yesterday - saying such insightful things like Dayton is better when their best player is playing. Gee thanks, it was 2 hours of that blather.

In fairness, he's not alone in this. Seth Greenberg was on Mike and Mike this morning breaking down why he thinks West Virginia could be a potentially dangerous matchup for Kentucky.

I still think that if Kentucky loses, it'll be to Arizona (if they get there), but still.
ND could easily get destroyed by UK but they are also scary dangerous if they are hitting from outside. Towns and Cauley-Stein can't block ND flamethrowing threes all game.

I found him brutal on the game call yesterday - saying such insightful things like Dayton is better when their best player is playing. Gee thanks, it was 2 hours of that blather.
He also got his not so subtle dig in at Syracuse (Talking about where they would be assigned next week)

As opposed to all the juicy insight from Len Elmore, Grant Hill & Reggie Miller? I think he gets deeper into the Xs & Os than just about any color guy this side of Bob Knight. EG "Bad move by Turgeon trying to halfcourt trap wvu pg, he's too quick" - any other analyst would rather be in an electric chair than criticize a precious coaching decision.
I dunno I think he's a terrific color guy and I was never one to care for his trolling studio analyst personality.

ND could easily get destroyed by UK but they are also scary dangerous if they are hitting from outside. Towns and Cauley-Stein can't block ND flamethrowing threes all game.

I've thought this as well. That said UK will slaughter them on the inside and on the glass. ND would have to have one of those ridiculous shooting games from 3 but they have the guys that could pull it off however unlikely.

Early $ is on Wichita, from +1 to -2. And Kansas was a pk. Some 7 seed. Good job committee.

As opposed to all the juicy insight from Len Elmore, Grant Hill & Reggie Miller? I think he gets deeper into the Xs & Os than just about any color guy this side of Bob Knight. EG "Bad move by Turgeon trying to halfcourt trap wvu pg, he's too quick" - any other analyst would rather be in an electric chair than criticize a precious coaching decision.
I dunno I think he's a terrific color guy and I was never one to care for his trolling studio analyst personality.

I didn't say they were good either.

Each broadcast is Doug's opportunity to show us that he is the most knowledgeable hoops analyst in the universe. He is knowledgeable and I appreciate his willingness to second guess coaches but he tries WAY too hard to impress. He's also big on the "out there" predictions like WVU giving UK a very tough game. If he's right he looks like a genius and if he's wrong he figures everyone will forget about it.

He said they have not pressed this much at West Virginia (100% accurate), and Huggins has not pressed this much in years (also accurate as Cincy pressed quite a under Huggins but IIRC moreso in some of his earlier years and not in all of his seasons at the end) Time flies, but Huggins has been gone from Cincy for quite a long time.

As for them being a matchup for Kentucky -- I look forward to it, but not confident it will throw UK off. Kentucky has been able to handle Arkansas fairly easily down the stretch and they run a similar [ressing system, except not the 1-3-1 once it settles in the halfcourt.

I heard it differently. I heard him say Huggy had NEVER pressed this much in his career which is not the case. The Cincy teams with Van Exel and Kenyon Martin pressed 94 feet all game long.

I think he sucks, but I can't stand him so I'm biased.

is kentucky going to go the whole year without a single team having a good shooting night? you can alot on D but you cant control every game. look at g-town - vill. if cincy has just a good night shooting they made a game of it.

Teams that play good D don't allow other teams to have good shooting nights.

The media has to do something to make it look like a team has a chance to beat the 2015-16 NBA all-rookie team.

The somewhat incredible thing to me is I think they 2 guys on their roster who will be solid NBA players as soon as next year, the two big guys. Maybe Booker will space the court next year for an NBA team. But they just have a ton of really good college players. For all the noise of guys coming back last year, did they have anyone turn down being a lotto pick to come back? Cauley Stein may have been the only first

Early $ is on Wichita, from +1 to -2. And Kansas was a pk. Some 7 seed. Good job committee.
IMO the Committee fudges the seeds to set up certain match ups that they want. They weren't changing Kansas from a #2 so they moved WS to the #7 line to match them up against each other.

I grew tired of hearing him remind everyone of how things were "when I played."

I think that Doug has to go down as one of the worst broadcasters of all time. He is a total tool. Everytime he opens his pompass mouth i want to kick his teeth in. Oh did i mention that i cant stand the guy. Total jack ass