Grant w/ guaranteed deal | Syracusefan.com

Grant w/ guaranteed deal

Definitely a best-case scenario for Grant. I don't know how many second-round picks actually end up with guaranteed contracts, but I'm guessing fewer than 50%. Best of luck to him.

Definitely a best-case scenario for Grant. I don't know how many second-round picks actually end up with guaranteed contracts, but I'm guessing fewer than 50%. Best of luck to him.

I would guess way lower than 50% end up signing guaranteed deals before they play a game; I bet it's closer to 10%.

Great move by Philly. He'll play for them and have his trade value increase. Having a low cost guaranteed deal will help facilitate other moves. This is a win for everyone.

Kudos to him on procuring a guaranteed contract. That's great news.

I'm not sure that whether the decision will ultimately be deemed "good" or "bad" comes down to only this, however--there is also opportunity cost to consider.

Also good for him it was a 2 year deal; there are some second rounders that get locked into 3 or 4 year deals, become productive players, and are then "underpaid" for a year or two.

Perhaps he was concerned that becoming the go-to guy on offense would have amplified his weaknesses and hurt his draft stock even more. From a non-selfish standpoint, leaving was probably his best option. I'm glad he got this contract and hope he can make it in the league.

The Sixers liked him during the Summer League. Diamond-in-the-rough with potential. He'll play quite a bit in Philly this year, I think.

If not, I'm 20 minutes away from seeing him in the D-league in Newark, DE.

20 minutes either way, basically. Tickets will probably be cheaper in Philly this year...thank you, Stubhub.

Jarnell Stokes got drafted a few picks higher and he got signed by the Grizzlies to a multi year deal at $725K/per year. I would imagine Grant's deal is somewhere close to that salary.

Can we put the "he made a bad decision to leave" discussion to rest now? One year less than a 1st round pick and he'll see more minutes on the 76ers Super D League squad.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...cuse_forward_jerami_grant_to_2-year_deal.html

I don't think anyone can understand the thought process that Grant went through to make his decision. I'm sure he listened to everyone and he made a decision for himself. I would have loved if he came back and developed a stronger game, but it was his choice. I was taught once you make a decision that you follow through, good or bad, and make the best of it.

Easy for us, as fans, to criticize these decisions from our own perception of what may be best for a player, but Grant has to deal with the consequences of his decisions, not us. However, ultimately I think most of the fan base supports and wishes the best for our players in the league. Glad he got the contract.

'Grant said he still hears from critics who say he made a foolish decision to enter the NBA draft after just two years at Syracuse.'

hell, who are these people? Let it go.

Isn't JB one of them?

Can we put the "he made a bad decision to leave" discussion to rest now? One year less than a 1st round pick and he'll see more minutes on the 76ers Super D League squad.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...cuse_forward_jerami_grant_to_2-year_deal.html

I read that article... but I dont know if it was guaranteed. Remember Rautins signed a 2 yr deal and I dont believe got anything for the 2nd year.

Other than a random sentence in the article, there is no proof of it being fully guaranteed. Grant didn't go into specifics on the record... and even if he did off the record - it could be 1 yr guaranteed and Grant just didnt go into full details about it.

And it is also probably for the league minimum or very close to it which is about $500k.

Not bad... but still has to earn his keep in the league going forward.

Hope it works out for him. I like him a lot and dont hate him for going pro just wish he gave us 1 more yr.

Well I can only go by what Waters wrote and he's usually trustworthy

Grant, who slipped into the second round of the NBA's draft back in June before the Philadelphia 76ers ended his fall, signed a two-year guaranteed contract with the Sixers on Monday.

2 yrs/500k sounds like a good starting salary out of college to me.

Well I can only go by what Waters wrote and he's usually trustworthy

2 yrs/500k sounds like a good starting salary out of college to me.

Yeah it certainly could be... but like I said, Grant wasnt willing to say anything on the record.

And iifc, Rautins had a 2 yr deal but only the 1st yr was guaranteed.

Last edited:
Best of luck to Grant. Woulda loved to see him as a junior in the ACC dominating, but hope he continues to progress.