Great coaching job by JB | Syracusefan.com

Great coaching job by JB

Would have liked to see a better substitution pattern and think he left RAK out too long. Otherwise smart fouling at the end did not want to go to OT on a three ball from Iowa.

Yes - although he did wait two possessions too long in the 2nd half to call a TO.

I didn't like the fouling at the end tonight because Iowa was totally on to it and trying to get into a shooting motion (got very close to getting 3 FTs that one time). Even CJ botched the fouling in that situation last year (in the Duke game at the dome), and to have that play in KJ's hands at this point? I would have just played straight up defense.

I didn't like the fouling at the end tonight because Iowa was totally on to it and trying to get into a shooting motion (got very close to getting 3 FTs that one time). Even CJ botched the fouling in that situation last year (in the Duke game at the dome), and to have that play in KJ's hands at this point? I would have just played straight up defense.
if iowa was smart they would have targeted joseph on the inbounds plays at the end of the game---kaleb would have fouled for a 3--he does not have court presence and is to nervous, lacking focus. gets caught up in the moment and forgets the big picture. that is what jb needs to teach him, and i believe he is. from where i was sitting, he did not scream at him when he took that dumb jumper at the end of the game---he coached him.

if iowa was smart they would have targeted joseph on the inbounds plays at the end of the game---kaleb would have fouled for a 3--he does not have court presence and is to nervous, lacking focus. gets caught up in the moment and forgets the big picture. that is what jb needs to teach him, and i believe he is. from where i was sitting, he did not scream at him when he took that dumb jumper at the end of the game---he coached him.
If you watch the JB presser, he says Kaleb shouldn't have taken the jumper at the end but that's a freshman mistake. He has been very tolerant of his mistakes because he needs him at PG and understands his potential.

I don't like fouling at the end with as much time left as there was because it forces you to make foul shots. Not something we, as Syracuse fans, are all that excited about. Plus we were in the one and one. If Rak misses the front end, Iowa has 6 seconds to win instead of 8 seconds to tie.

There was a 6 minute stretch in the second half where I felt the refs were Iowas 6th man and we put the gear in neutral. Would have liked to see JB jump up then and get on them. But, in the end it didn't matter.

I taught jb how to foul there. he saw some do it but fouls too early both time

apparently after years of shunning the concept and being burned by a few late heaves coach JB has now fully bought into the idea of fouling late with the lead. that's ok (i still don't agree with it) but this strategy also requires some forethought and planning. we came pretty close last night to fouling an opponent in the backcourt attempting a 3/4 court heave. further practically no time at all came off the clock.if this indeed is our new modus operandi then JB needs to spend at least an entire afternoon teaching the team how to execute this strategy correctly.odds are that no shot launched over half court is going to beat to you. at this point the seconds ticking off the clock are your best friend. pick up at half court and then foul .

If you watch the JB presser, he says Kaleb shouldn't have taken the jumper at the end but that's a freshman mistake. He has been very tolerant of his mistakes because he needs him at PG and understands his potential.
didn't watch the presser but agree with you---nevertheless---there is a time for tolerance and mistake correction which is what i think he did. i am only offering that perhaps patersons experience and perhaps more calmness may be a better choice at crunch time until joseph gets more experience. i am not saying don't start joseph, but use him more judiciously. just my humble opinion. he had a very difficult second half, does not yet see the floor and throws bad passes---several of them. all of which have to do lack of experience and momentary anxiety.

Was thinking we should charge after the guy at 3/4 court and fake a foul attempt resulting in a simple 3/4 court heave with no foul and 6 seconds left to play. Maybe save that for future?

Was thinking we should charge after the guy at 3/4 court and fake a foul attempt resulting in a simple 3/4 court heave with no foul and 6 seconds left to play. Maybe save that for future?
Interesting. But I'd tell the ref what I was going to do so he doesn't do a presumed call on it.

Interesting. But I'd tell the ref what I was going to do so he doesn't do a presumed call on it.

Maybe if you tell him you're going for a steal there wont be a call at all? ;)

I like to foul in that situation, but I don't understand why you don't wait until they pass half court. Way too early in the sequence to foul. You need to wait until they begin to get into their offense. I would love to know if they have ever practiced that situation or was it all done on the fly. It looked like Kaleb had no idea what to do. That's bad coaching if you're asking a freshmen to do something that you never simulated in practice.

Reactions: 007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom