Great job, Kevin Belbey | Syracusefan.com

Great job, Kevin Belbey

cto

Administrator
Thanks, Kevin, for putting together and "managing" the Boeheim's Army team in The Basketball Tournament.

Before bowing out in a close game in the Elite Eight, it gave a lot of basketball-deprived SU fans a nice diversion this summer.

Last edited:
Really fun to once again watch the guys who never made it to the NBA...for some it had been close to a decade.

Uh some of them made it to the NBA. Hakim Hung around the league for several years.

Thanks, Kevin, for putting together and "managing" the Boeheim's Army team in The Basketball Tournament.

Before bowing out in a close game in the Elite Eight, it gave a lot of basketball-deprived SU fans a nice diversion this summer.

The highlights for me were

Terrence Roberts dunk over Ndiaye.

Baye Moussa Keita running leap, catch, bankshot.

Who knew?

Was good watching the former Orange. Did Keita actually grow taller since playing at SU? Wasn't he about six feet eight in college? Wish they could have gotten the win. Could have used a couple more summer games. Try as I have, I can't develop any real interest in baseball, even with the Yankees in first place. Way back when, I was a big Mets fan, but as they declined and the games went longer and longer, my interest died. I can empty a full dish washer between pitches these days. I could record and use the ff feature to watch, but I fear I would wear out the ff button. Please let the Orange have a decent football season.

This lot proves what a great coach JB is. They couldn't win this tournament against many players who played at much lower levels, yet with JB, they won many, many games and became household names, All Americans, and pros.

This lot proves what a great coach JB is. They couldn't win this tournament against many players who played at much lower levels, yet with JB, they won many, many games and became household names, All Americans, and pros.

City of Gods had five former NBA players on their team. We had two. There were a few defensive lapses but overall I thought the guys played well.

They need to track down Andy Rautins and Jonny Flynn for next year. Need more shooting, and more quickness at guard.

I was impressed with Deane. I'm not sure why he didn't play more last night. But I agree, another guard or two would have helped.

Kevin said that they were going to try to put together team next year. I really think that The Basketball Tournament has some potential and Kevin did a great job putting that team together.

I think the TBT is going to absolutely take off next year. It's gotten quite a lot of exposure this year that I think will help it grow exponentially next year. If all the serious college basketball programs put together an alumni team this thing would really go to the next level next year.

I think they should think about incorporating a losers bracket to draw it out a little bit more. Give the winner of the loser's bracket a pass to the "Final Five" in NYC and have the Loser's Bracket champion and worst of the other four playoff like ND did to get to the Sweet 16.

I was impressed with Deane. I'm not sure why he didn't play more last night. But I agree, another guard or two would have helped.

Might have been tough on some guys to play back to back nights like that. Depth was an issue for the Army. Too bad Triche was hurt or I'm sure he would have played.

Uh some of them made it to the NBA. Hakim Hung around the league for several years.
He was the only one. DNic only played sparingly, and I don't think anyone else even played a game.

The thing about City of Gods is they had a variety of different types of players. They had a tank gaurd, they had an aircraft carrier center, they had a freak in Pops, they had size, they had a waterbug 5 foot guy who could hit from 30 feet. Our team had too much of the same type of players. Honestly, trading Warrick for Jonny Flynn would have been an upgrade. If only because Warrick wasn't as good of a rebounder as TRob or Jackson and wasn't as good of a shooter as Nichols so no real need for him except for depth. Where Jonny could provide that lightning fast little guy that gives people fits. Of course, I think Jonny has lost many steps. His hip injury destroyed his career by sapping his quickness.

Swap Kris Jo for Mookie, Southerland for Roberts, and Triche for Olu and things look a lot better. Three younger guys with better offensive games would have opened up more for Nichols/Devo. Hakim could have been nice to throw in as a bench scorer and not as a go-to guy. Not sure Flynn or Scoop are in the type of basketball shape where they would have been upgrades.

Full_Rebar said:
Swap Kris Jo for Mookie, Southerland for Roberts, and Triche for Olu and things look a lot better. Three younger guys with better offensive games would have opened up more for Nichols/Devo. Hakim could have been nice to throw in as a bench scorer and not as a go-to guy. Not sure Flynn or Scoop are in the type of basketball shape where they would have been upgrades.

Id like to see Roberts and Mookie a part of any team we have going forward. They were on initial team and played hard/cheered hard. Ive never seen Mookie so engaged on the bench. They havent had the easiest time and Id like to see them win the money. Can add Triche, Rautins, etc with spots that Greene and Pace had. Just my two cents.

Was very cool to watch them play the past few weeks. Such a fun blast from the past.

I hope and expect to see an SU team every year this tourney continues. It seems like it should only get bigger, which means bigger payouts and hopefully some runner-up payouts as well. I'm not sure how this funded, the $1m winner's check and travel expenses mainly, but as it grows, more bigger sponsors can and will get involved. This actually has a shot to become something huge, especially at a time fans are starved for hoops.

Hopefully, guys like Triche, Flynn (is he still healthy enough to play?), KJo, CJ Fair, Rautins, Scoop, Southerland, etc will get involved. This squad looked like it needed some more youth and perimeter punch.

I'm probably in the minority but I couldn't really get into it which is unusual for me. I didn't even think about watching the first game until I saw the thread on the board and that got me somewhat interested. I followed the PS updates on the second game but I just couldn't get too excited. Tried to watch the game Friday night but it kept freezing on me and then I had the game on last night but I was only casually watching while I was doing other things. Life did kind of suck this past week to the point it probably would have dulled my enthusiasm for even a regular game so I'm going to give it another try again next year.

That being said, proud of the guys and fans effort and nice to see the guys play again.

Last edited:

City of Gods had some legit talent.

Demarr Johnson was a top 5 pick I believe.

1 of the things that I noticed was the athleticism that some of these guys lost.

• Hakim is no longer a pogo stick. Still is stretch armstrong though with his awkward but effortless way to move.
  • TRob is a still a beast. But he cant jump anymore. He went for a block on a layup in the 2nd half and looked like me whiffing. On another note, he is this teams Josh Smith. The worst thing that could have ever happened was him hitting his 1st 3.
  • Nichols - jumper is still silky (obviously not as much in final) but he seems significantly slower
  • Devo - Maybe I just fondly remember him getting to the bucket at will in college. but he only got to it once towards the end of the game. Memories came swirling back as he proceeded to talk trash and give a stare down while down 2 with a minute to go in the game.
overall very fun to watch - i bought my jersey (i got the orange 1 because they didnt put the white 1's for sale at 1st. Wish i got a white instead) and watched 2.5 of the 4 games. I don't mean for this post to sound negative. But I was just really astounded at how fast the athleticism goes. And I guess how old I am getting now. I went to school with most of these guys. I'd hate to see what I look like running around in a bball jersey on TV these days.

At least I wouldnt be Mike Sweetney.

Who's idea was it to play zone defense? did they do it just because they are SU and it is the trade mark? Usually all-sate games use more m-2-m especially since JB's zone is really so complicated.