Great Opinions Thread Since I loved the Awful Opinions Thread so Much | Syracusefan.com

Great Opinions Thread Since I loved the Awful Opinions Thread so Much

newmexicuse

All Conference
I remember when I was a freshman at the Cuse & football was the rage - Floyd Little was the all-American. Everybody asked about Floyd, I said he was terrific, but only our 2nd best back behind some kid named Csonka - everyone thought I was loco.

Regretfully, I was right on worrying about last year's team & the way Jimmy was coaching even when we were undefeated & #1.

I remember as a kid thinking Aaron was better than the M & M boys - Mantle & Mays (I am a Braves fan).

I remember thinking that Douglas kid who only came to us because GTown didn't want him was really, really good.

I remember loving Santifer from the first time I saw him.

There was something about that Hopkins kid...

I knew Ethan Cole didn't have IT.

I knew Louie & Bouie would lead us to national prominence.

I knew leaving Penn State out of the Big East was a big-time screw up.

I knew Greg Robinson was gonna be horrible from the first Cuse game I saw him coach (maybe his third overall game).

and my great opinion for this season is that Joseph will be a special player.

I knew GMac was the perfect recruit because he'd be a four year guy who would be a major contributor all four years.

I knew Lastings Milledge would never make it because of his attitude.

I knew Adam Schein would make it big nationally.

I knew that the Knicks using their amnesty on Chauncey Billups and not saving it for later (Amare) would bite them in the ass hard.

I thought Wes Johnson was overrated as an NBA prospect and MCW underrated. (I am a big Wes fan but I'm honestly still confused by why people thought a 22-year old who couldn't make three consecutive dribbles was anything other than a role player in the NBA.)

I was skeptical about last year's team even during the 25-0 start.

I thought the '12-13 team was better than people were giving it credit for before the late-season run.

I was not high on the Wright brothers (and not nearly as high as they were).

I remember as a kid thinking Aaron was better than the M & M boys - Mantle & Mays (I am a Braves fan).

I can understand you thinking that, being a Braves fan, but outside of home run totals Mays was a better all around baseball player than Aaron.

That opinion is semi-great.

I can understand you thinking that, being a Braves fan, but outside of home run totals Mays was a better all around baseball player than Aaron.

Hits also.
But I hate comparing these two greats.

They were both great players - Personally, I gotta give the edge to Aaron based upon more effective longetivity (Hank played 23 seasons v 22 for Willie) which allowed him to have more HRs, RBIs, & Hits by a fairly significant margin, probably the three most important stats. Willie was right there though if you check it out in most other categories. They were virtually identical in BA, OBP, & slugging percentage. Surprisingly, despite Willie's reputation, Hank had about 2/3 as many stolen bases, and they both had about the same stolen base percentage.

All in all if you look at the stats they were as close as can be - both very great. But the point of my initial post was that early in their careers it was all about the M&M boys and Hank was an after-thought, not even in the conversation. Hank never really got his due until late in his career as he was approaching the Bambino's record & my opinion that Hank was just as good or better started in the late 50's & early 60's as a kid - nobody shared that opinion back then.

Totally agreed on Wes. It was blasphemy to say around here, but he was/is a very limited player. He made millions based on a hot shooting night in MSG against UNC.

I thought Georgetown sucked.

I thought McNamara would show 'em after the overrated SI article.

I thought Villanova was going to make a big run in 2009.

I had three out of four final four teams in 2005. Guess which one I was wrong on?

I have a long post somewhere on this board about all the moves the Red Sox made before 2013 and how I wasn't sure they'd be long for the cellar. Given that the team went on to win the World Series, I will claim that as my moment of genius. I also thought Doubront would win 13-plus games this season. Baseball is a fickle sport.

I thought trading Jay Buhner was one of the Yankees worst moves ever.
I thought Michael Pineda was going to be only slightly better than Carl Pavano, Ed Whitson, Kenny Rogers, Jaret Wright and Javier Vasquez. (I know jury still out but IF he can ever stay healthy...)
I thought the Melo, Amare and Chandler frontcourt was a mismatch of talented players that would not work together.
I never thought Pearl would be an NBA star. Loved him in Orange but...
The first day I walked into Manley Fieldhouse back on December 13, 1976 I knew I had found the team I would live and die with for the rest of my life. Louie & Bouie and Shack plus Marty Byrnes.

I knew we would be very good in 2009-2010 (and that Wes Johnson would be special for us) even though we were not ranked anywhere pre-season. I had attended several practices during Johnson's red-shirt year so I was one of the few here who had actually seen him play.

From day one, I knew GMac would be special (talk about butting heads with Tristan!).

I knew our erstwhile unranked team was going all the way in 2003 as soon as we beat Pitt in the game with three court-stormiings (and Tomcat is my witness to this one).

I knew Brett Gardner was going to be the Yankees most reliable player this season (lots of witnesses for that one).

Last edited:
I called Justin Biebers success when he was just a youtube singer.

I know I know, he is annoying and he is a dork. But still, he is as famous as it gets worth 150 million more than you and i called it before Usher did.

I thought Cuse was going to win the national title in 2003 before the 1st game (i am now 1/29).

I knew Jonny Flynn would be a bust, despite my really, really hoping he would prove me wrong.

I never thought Paul Harris would be the star people expected, because 6-4 power forwards don't make much of an impact unless their name is Chuck Barkley.

On the flipside, I knew that Hak Warrick would be a special player the first time I watched clips of him.

I knew Tyler Ennis would be an excellent floor leader after watching a few of his high school games on TV.

I know that Kaleb Joseph is going to surprise a hell of a lot of people. (Sorry, getting ahead of myself)

I knew that Ryan Nassib would be a very good quarterback from his first game and, basically, his first couple throws, when he subbed in for Paulus and the arm strength was night and day.

bac
I remember when I was a freshman at the Cuse & football was the rage - Floyd Little was the all-American. Everybody asked about Floyd, I said he was terrific, but only our 2nd best back behind some kid named Csonka - everyone thought I was loco.

Regretfully, I was right on worrying about last year's team & the way Jimmy was coaching even when we were undefeated & #1.

I remember thinking that Douglas kid who only came to us because GTown didn't want him was really, really good.

I remember loving Santifer from the first time I saw him.

There was something about that Hopkins kid...

I knew Ethan Cole didn't have IT.

I knew Louie & Bouie would lead us to national prominence.

I knew leaving Penn State out of the Big East was a big-time screw up.

I knew Greg Robinson was gonna be horrible from the first Cuse game I saw him coach (maybe his third overall game).

and my great opinion for this season is that Joseph will be a special player.
Back in the dark days when the newspaper was running a never ending multi-part series on our terrible recruiting I posted that JB's consistency and loyalty would eventually propel us into the upper ranksw of recruiting powers as a result of his growing stature. If JB were a stock I would have bought at the low point.

bac

Back in the dark days when the newspaper was running a never ending multi-part series on our terrible recruiting I posted that JB's consistency and loyalty would eventually propel us into the upper ranksw of recruiting powers as a result of his growing stature. If JB were a stock I would have bought at the low point.

I remember that series...that was about a year before some dude named Carmelo committed.

I knew the Orioles should not have traded 3b Doug DeCinses for OF Dan Ford to make room for Cal Ripken, because Cal was a SS, and DeCinses was better than Ford.

I remember that series...that was about a year before some dude named Carmelo committed.
The 4 part series of articles was years before Melo.

The 4 part series of articles was years before Melo.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the one that got us probation? The series that ripped our recruiting was late 99 early 2000. I remember because Boeheim went on a long tirade about it after some cupcake game Hart and Thomas' senior year. Melo committed May 2001.

I thought Terrel Hunt was better than Ryan Nassib...

Ooops! Wrong board!!

After watching the following players play just once, I immediately knew they were not going to amount to much in Orange: Louie McCroskey, Mookie Jones, and DeSean Williams.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way about Ron Patterson. I hope I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom